This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Karma) Complainer actually got us the official "OK"

As many of you know my wife runs an organization that takes greyhounds out of rescue, trains them as service dogs, and then donates them to wounded veterans.

Recently the organization has gotten a little press but one article had many comments for it (all though Facebook accounts) - one person started to complain about the organization using greyhounds.

Now, she mentions that she uses a greyhound service dog for mobility assistance. She made this comment but then deleted it.

The organization is training a greyhound to be used for mobility assistance.

She claimed that you shouldn't put weight in the middle of a dog's back because it can seriously injure the dog's spine. She is correct with that but the harnesses we use actually are over the dog's front legs and the legs are giving the support - not the back.

She went back and fourth with the trainer trying her hardest to discredit him, saying he doesn't know what he's doing and general trouble making. She stood by her comments that using a greyhound for mobility assistance was bad and extremely unhealthy for the dog.

I don't know why she did this (maybe because she wasn't getting anywhere with the trainer) so she filed an official complaint with the Greyhound Pets of America (the head Greyhound rescue organization). So, they had to launch an investigation.

They had the trainer and our press person (who also works for the Palm Beach Kennel Club and the local Greyhound Rescue) and their experts meet with them as well as a veterinarian.

For a few weeks they scrutinized the trainer, examined the dog, had the veterinarian do their own reports on the subject. Well, the vet gave their conclusion to the GPoA and they contacted the org.

The ruled that greyhounds CAN be used for mobility assistance and should also do quite well with them for a long time considering that they are usually retired quite young form the race track (3-5 years old and they live 1 years), they are generally in extremely good shape, and their bone structure is a big plus considering they have been bred to run so their hips, elbows, and other joints should be in some of the best condition of any breed of dog.

Not only that, GPoA has actually given the org the "greyhound of approval" for what they're doing.

I will give this one to karma. I'm very happy to see this not only backfired on the complainer but also their complaint ended up in an actual endorsement!
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

YAY!!!

We helped a greyhound rescue at one stage, just for a short time. (We couldn't afford the petrol to keep going out there - they were too far away from us.)

Lovely, lovely dogs.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm glad. That really is a good turn of things. Now to tell the rabble rouser that she got you guys given the "OK!"

Comment

Working...
      X