X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Textbooks

Hi all,

I'm seeking a bit of advice about selling my textbooks, I have put it in the Off topic section, but if it should be in Life Advice (I wasn't sure), mods, please feel free to move it.

I finished my degree 2 years ago and still have some textbooks I bought for it. I don't need them, use them and they are gathering dust on my shelves. I'm looking to sell them but not sure where best to do it. I have thought about Ebay and Amazon but have never sold from them.

Can anyone suggest anything? I'm grateful for anything

Thank you guys

They may be out of date if they are two years old; it depends on the class and what edition the book is in. The textbook publishers are putting out new editions every couple of years to force students to buy new rather than used books.

I'd try Amazon over eBay. Look up the books to see what they are selling for and try to sell them for around the same price. You'll get more than at the college book store or a company that specializes in used textbooks, but may not get much more depending on what edition the book is in and how much demand there is for that particular text.

Sorry
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

There's also half.com. I used to sell all my books through there.

If you have any contact with current students (even through posting something on a bulletin board), you can usually sell old edition books for more than you can get online.

Comment

Amazon is your best bet, most likely at this point. I say this because, ebay and amazon both let you sell to other people, but Amazon allows you to sell directly TO Amazon straightaway, so there's no waiting for a buyer. At least this is something they've introduced in recent years.

If you were in the US, I'd PM you my old company, and you could look for a nearby store, they usually have fair prices.

Comment

Amazon.com sounds like a good idea. Another suggestion, if you can verify the books are still in use, is to go to the college and see if there's a bulletin board you can post an ad for them. At our university, there's an entire board on campus dedicated just to book swaps/sales.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Another thing I'd suggest would be a used bookstore, if your town has one. Mine does (Ed MacKay's, which is pure awesomeness) and they are a common stop for buying and selling used textbooks if they are in fairly current editions (they won't take anything more than a few years old).

When I moved from Delaware, I had to literally throw my old nursing textbooks in the trash because I couldn't take them with me (no room). Library wouldn't take them, used bookstores wouldn't take them, even free. The books were about 12 years old at the time, in very good condition (I don't highlight my books much).
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

You can also check to see if Chegg.com will take them. They may not, or they might not be worth much, but always a place to check. They rent out college books to people, and cost a lot less then the bookstores.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everybody

Comment

Working...
                X