This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrow is the Day!

Tomorrow, for the first time, I am defending my title as a chili cookoff winner. While I have won a few other cookoffs, I seem to have an obsession for chili cookoffs, and according to more than a few people, a knack for it. (My buddy Popcorn said, and I quote, "His wings are crap, but his chili is fantastic!" Since I am from the Southwest and not from anywhere near Buffalo, I guess I'll accept both comments!)

Earlier this year, after a few years of competing in various local chili cookoffs, I finally won one. And I was thrilled with the fact that the one I won was not, as many cookoffs down here are, based on the number of votes you get from the crowd, but from an impartial panel of judges. I prefer the panel, for the very simple reason that most of the "crowd votes" cookoffs are fundraisers, and while I have nothing against fundraisers, they use the crowd votes method to pick a winner so they can raise the most money, as each vote generally costs money. Which means that some cooks can "buy" a win (or attempt to), which I have seen done, and some are just popularity contests....who had the most friends show up. As many of my friends work during these things (and several are out of town tomorrow), this puts me at a disadvantage for such cookoffs. But then, I would rather win a cookoff on merit than popularity or "buying" a win. Which is why, as I said, I prefer the panel of judges method, and hope that that is what the bar uses tomorrow, as they did earlier this year.

All of the above being said, in the last four chili cookoffs I have been in, with whatever method they used to determine the winners, with never fewer than 14 entries in the mix, I have placed 4th, 3rd, 1st, and 4th. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

And I am calmer than I have ever been before a cookoff, probably because my signature "Devil's Gold" chili was finished on Sunday, and my evilly hot "Devil's Ass" chili was finished Wednesday. All I have to do now is prepare a little cooling "cure" for anyone who dares the Devil's Ass and can't handle it, and in the morning, bring the chilis up to heat and then transport them to the cookoff with the appropriate equipment (ladles, heating element, etc.) and get them set up.

And then I'll sit there, watch football (GO RAIDERS!), drink beer, and hopefully collect yet another win. Perhaps, maybe, two, as this time I did not burn the onions in the Devil's Ass chili...but I did greatly increase the heat level, so I may injure people more than garner votes with that one! (I won't even try it myself. Seriously.)

And as I was typing this, I just realized I still have not printed up the signs I wanted for the chilis, which sucks, since I don't have a printer, so I'll have to go somewhere to print them up. Dopey me. Oh well....one more thing to do in the morning. After all, I'm never happy if I don't leave anything to the last minute!

So, wish me luck, for tomorrow is the day!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Best of luck!!!!!!!
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Good luck!

I think if you lose, you should have to try your own devil chili.
      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Kick ass!!!!
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Good luck Jester! I have faith in your chili cooking abilities

Comment

Good luck, and keep us informed.

(also send some Devil's Ass my way)
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
              I think if you lose, you should have to try your own devil chili.
              I assume you mean the Devil's Ass chili? Since both chilis have the word "devil" in them.

That being said, what do you mean by "lose"? As in, not win outright? Not place with either chili? Come in dead last? I promise you, that last one is NOT going to happen.

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
              (also send some Devil's Ass my way)
              You are clearly deeply disturbed and mentally unstable.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                You are clearly deeply disturbed and mentally unstable.
                You just figured that out now?
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

By lose, I mean...whatever it takes for you to have to try your own devil's ass chili, really...
                  "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                  Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Can't wait to hear what happens!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sunday...sucked. On multiple levels.

There was the chili cookoff. In the traditional category, of 12 entries, my Devil's Gold chili did not place in the top 3. I actually happened to see one of the judge's scorecards at one point, and he did not have my chili in the top EIGHT. Now, I have no problem losing to dishes that are as good or better than mine. And the chili that took third place was excellent. I thought mine was better, of course, but clearly I'm biased. But the second place chili was only fair, in my opinion, and the winning chili was a joke. I have no idea what the judges' criteria were, but it boggled my mind that, not only didn't I place, but a bland, underseasoned, and somewhat weird tasting chili WON.

In the hot division there were 6 entries. My Devil's Ass chili was not nearly as hot as I had anticipated (or advertised), but it still was pretty damn hot, with a lingering heat that wouldn't get off your tongue. But people really seemed to love it. (Which means, of course, I am going to have to go back into the laboratory and reconfigure that chili, as my whole goal with it is to make it ridiculously hot. This time, it was not even as hot as the first draft, though I used more ghost peppers. I'll have to figure it all out.) And yet, out of six, the Devil's Ass did not place in the top 3. The one that one, made by a friend of mine who I adore, was dreadfully underseasoned, and was not really all that hot. Which made me really believe that the judges were looking for bland and boring, rather than flavorful and exciting. Someone should tell them that this was a CHILI cookoff. But then, this is what I get for making a Southwestern dish in a cookoff in the Southeast.

And no, I didn't get Crowd Favorite either....but that is as often a popularity contest as anything, and many of my friends were out of town or working. And while a lot of people loved my chilis, I wouldn't have faulted them for voting for their friends' chili over mine. It's the nature of the beast, after all.

And the day got worse. My Raiders got their asses handed to them by the Dolphins. At one point it was 34-0. Disgusting.

And as they say, bad things come in threes. The girl I've been pursuing showed up to the cookoff, and I thought this would be a good thing. Until, in conversation, she continually dropped the "my boyfriend" phrase.

Well, fuck.

Yeah, I was in a piss-poor mood Sunday.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Sounds like the organizers forgot to find out if the judges actually liked chili before making them judges. That's like having people who don't like chocolate judge a chocolate cake competition.
                        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

The organizers failed in other ways, as well. For example, in past cookoffs at this same bar (I have been involved in chili and wings cookoffs, though not ribs, as they require you to bring your own grill, and I don't own one), they have always had prizes....last year, for coming in fourth, I got a nice little crock pot; earlier this year, for winning, in addition to my shittly little trophy that I prize VERY highly, I got a bottle of vodka...which I promptly traded to my friend who won a bottle of rum. We both thought we got the better end of the deal.

But this time, there were NO prizes. At least, none that I saw. Perhaps there were gift certificiates included in the ribbons they gave out, but I never saw them, nor did they ever announce the existence of such things.

To be fair, the organizers this time around were far more ORGANIZED than in previous cookoffs, making sure they had plenty of extension cords and power strips for everyone's crock pots and hot plates, an issue that had not been adequately addressed in prior cookoffs there.

But yeah, the judges didn't seem to like spice or flavor, which of course are two of the main features of chili. Go figger.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well, that's just wrong. What's the point of bland chili?? Even I know that, and I've never lived in the Southwest (traveled through...does that count? )

I love hot chili. I've had a few that could strip wallpaper at 30 paces. Ouch. And a lot that were nothing but meat sauce. I mean, you have to have SOME spiciness or it's not chili.

Sorry about the girl, Jester. I'm confused. I thought she knew you were interested. You'd think sometime in the past conversations (I know there weren't that many), she would've mentioned a BF.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, that sounds like a shitty day. I don't really like lots of spice. Which is how I know I would not make a good chili judge.

And yeah, damn, you'd think she would have mentioned a boyfriend. That sucks.
                              Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                              X