This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need hugs and a prayer

Today I received a phone call from my prenatal nurses and docs informing me that I have tested positive for gestational diabetes.

While I know this isn't for a type 2 or 1, I have been told that I'm still at risk for type 2....

Let's just say, right now, I felt like I've been dealt a hard blow because I love sugary stuff. I am aware this isn't the end of the world for me but it's still depressing.

I think what depresses me more is my baby is going to possibly have the same health problems that comes from my side of the family.

In a few days I'll be getting another call about being put in a class to learn about my new issue and what I have to do.

Though I would like to know if any of you guys have any tips. Besides the big one which is eat healthy. I know I need to avoid sugar but is there any other things that have hidden sugar or stuff that diabetics can't have?

I'm gotta do what I gotta do to bring a healthy kid in the world and keep it that way.

/big hugs. Oh....FUN. I had that.

Gestational diabetes sucks, I won't lie. Its a lot easier to manage now, though...and there's plenty of stuff you can do with artificially sweetened foods, as a substitute.

Watch out for potatoes. I was floored at how much they affect your diet. I literally said "NOT MY HASHBROWNS!!" when they told me.

Good thing, though....literally once you've had the baby? BOOM. Diabetes gone.

You'll still have to be careful, as you'll be at a higher risk, but I swear, first thing I did when I became conscious was grab my husband's shirt and demand cheesecake.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I had gestational diabetes with all three of my daughters.

I discovered that unsweetened ice tea with lemon was great.

Follow the diet that you are given. You will find out that you will be given a very healthy diet to follow. You will probably be told to eat three very well balanced meals with two healthy snacks.

Comment

Pay attention at your class! I had a one on one with a nutritional counselor when they told me I was gestationally diabetic. I was already overweight when i became pregnant, and with checking my sugar and eating right I was actually losing weight while pregnant. The docs were ok with it b/c the weight coming off wasn't affecting the baby, it was just my body fat reacting to a proper diet. The baby grew just fine and I had no birth complications. She'll be 8 this year.

Its not just sugar you want to look out for. Carbs will break down into a simple sugar. So bread, rice, cereal, things that arent something that would ordinarily set of your sensors as "sugar filled". You need to be careful while pregnant. Its not the end of the world, and a little more caution isn't a bad thing. Im certain there are online support groups specifically for this kind of situation where you can gather even more information and experiences.

Good luck.

Comment

Echo what the others have said, and make sure you get regular screenings afterwards. The GDM likely won't linger after the pregnancy, but as you said it does mean you are at risk for developing Type II later. At least now you can understand your risk and can take the steps to prevent it. Annual screenings will help you keep everything under control. You're at greater risk, but it's not a guarantee, and it is preventable. You're going to be all right as long as you take care of yourself.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

And don't forget gentle exercise. Not only will it help with the birth, if you keep it up it helps your energy level and can help you avoid t2 diabetes in the future. They have all sorts of improved exercise programs for pregnancy now that were not available to me back in the early 80s - a lot more has been discovered since then!

But as is pointed out above, watch your diet, test your blood, follow your instructions. Change your snack habits - go from potato chips to something like ants on a log - the protein of peanut butter, the fiber in raisins and celery are great for a snack. I like hummus and veggies - hummus is great as a dip for celery. I make little baskets by peeling a cucumber, cutting it into thirds and scooping out the seeds [but leave a bit to make the bottom of the basket] and piping in some boursin with a star tip.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

many hugs, good vibes and much love your way. I am sorry.

I have not had that, and from what little i have seen it goes away after the baby is born. I hope it does.

Comment

Good thing you have the class. Since being diagnosed with T2 myself last year, I have heard many story of people being told "Your diabetic. Lose weight." and that is all! I was comparing notes with my Dad (both parents are T2), and found out that is all both my parents got.

Read up on the American Diabetes Association Exchange Diet (Constant Carb). It is really easy to follow.

Throw out all the junk food. If it is not there, you can't eat it.
                Stock up on vegetables. We keep a 5lbs bag of baby cut carrots at all time.
                While fruits and fruit juices are good for you, they contain a lot of natural sugars. Limit them. The Exchange Diet will teach you this.

Unfortunately, your kids are going to inherit these bad genes, but you can give them something good in its place. Teach them good eating habits.

In the last year, I have lost 65lbs (45 to go) and I am now pre-diabetic. You can do it too.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

A ex-friend claimed Cheese was the worst for her. Although then she'd eat cookie-dough and normal ice cream so I'm not sure how accurate that was!

*hugs*
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Hi. Welcome to the Pain In The Ass Figuring Food Group!
                    I had Gestational Diabetes. It was so hard for me to wrap my head around what was OK to eat, what wasn't, the GI content/number of a food, just arrgh! It took a few weeks to iron this out; I had to check sugar 3x a day, keep notes on it, and give self insulin shots too. Gotta gotta gotta keep on top of the blood sugars. Gotta gotta watch the foods, and you will be amazed at what you CANNOT eat anymore. I did wrangle a deal with the nurses: I want my Mt. Dew. They told me no nonon bad. I said here, here's proof: 1 dew and thingy of cashews = perfectly fine breakfast. They were amazed, but, hey, I got what I wanted. There was a placemat that had a picture of a plate on it, and the plate/pie chart was divided to see how much of protein/veg/carbs you could have on a plate. The visual was very helpful, I wish I had kept it.
                    In the morning I had to do the ketosis pee on a paper strip, check my sugars, eat something, check sugars a few hours later. It was really listen to hunger, watch the foods you eat, really push for vegetables vs carbs and pouting.
                    Thanksgiving was right when my GD was diagnosed. Oh bad. No stuffing. No cranberry jelly. No punch/sweet drinks. Aargh. No cake!! Barely any turkey and little bits of gravy.

The visits back and forth to the nurses were annoying, but the information was very good. I still use it to help my portion/ratios.
                    psst: pineapples are sweet and have the lowest GI of fruit/sweet stuff!
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Remember, all diabetics are affected in different ways. My grandfather, for example, is T2 and can have potatoes just fine without making his blood sugar jump. I can as well (I'm T2 as well,) in limited quantities. Remember, sugar itself is not necessarily any worse than any other carb (it's carbs, not sugar specifically, diabetics have to watch.) Just remember, sugary foods tend to eat up your meal carb allotment QUICKLY. One trick is to have an Atkins friendly lunch or dinner (no carbs) and then have a normal dessert for your carb allotment, as long as you don't go crazy on the ice cream or cookies or candy. Hard candy, even full sugar, tends to be low carb as long as you only eat one or two pieces at a time--and frankly, as a diabetic, even a temporary one, you need to keep some around for low blood sugar emergencies. My advice? Simply become aware of how many carbs you actually take in and look for creative ways to reduce it to the levels your doctor recommends. And remember, in nutritional information you can subtract one gram of carbs for every gram of fiber that is in the same item.

Comment

*dizzy* Oh boy this is a lot I need to remember. I really hope I don't have to have my fingers pricked to check my blood sugar. I can't wrap my head on how they endure it. I dunno how well I'd be able to handle needling myself every single day.

I think I can handle avoiding the candy. Fruit and grain however will be the challenge (Not my white rice!!!) . How much harder is it to eat well while pregnant and have gestational diabetes?

And I'm still waiting for them to call back on the class >> though til then I've been looking around for diabetic recipes.

Are there snacks I can have an unlimited amount of?

Comment

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post
                          I'n not sure, but jerky without added sugar ought to be fine.

Comment

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post
                            *dizzy* Oh boy this is a lot I need to remember. I really hope I don't have to have my fingers pricked to check my blood sugar. I can't wrap my head on how they endure it. I dunno how well I'd be able to handle needling myself every single day.

I think I can handle avoiding the candy. Fruit and grain however will be the challenge (Not my white rice!!!) . How much harder is it to eat well while pregnant and have gestational diabetes?

And I'm still waiting for them to call back on the class >> though til then I've been looking around for diabetic recipes.

Very bad news - pee strips are not accurate enough to check your glucose. Yes pricking the side of a finger to tap for blood is a royal pain *however* ask about checking on your arm for your morning stick. The reason they say that the arm check is inaccurate is mainly because you are checking the interstitial fluids glucose more than blood, so there is a bit of a lag in actual glucose. If you are needing an immediate check to see how your body is reacting to either eating or a shot, this sucks *BUT* if you are checking your morning BG reading, it is fine because you have effectively been asleep for 8 hours and your body has leveled out and it is accurate enough.

Hm, unlimited is not a good thing. Get out of the habit of random snacking. *I* snack on celery, cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce [romaine] homemade beef jerky [from ground beef, using a jerky shooter and our own lowcarb recipe] baby carrots, hummus, homemade onion dip, homemade herbed cheese dip, hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, yoghurt and sugar free applesauce mixed 1:1 with a dash of cinnamon, homemade garlic croutons from pita, cottage cheese - in specific portions and at my appointed snacking time [midmorning, midafternoon and just before bed] When you make your own versions of stuff like onion dip and flavored yoghurt you can control the salt/carb levels to fit what you need to keep healthy. Your goal is to actually eat just what you need nutritionally, and not overeat. Break the hand to mouth habit, you do not need to eat constantly!

I could have sworn that OBs no longer tell you to eat 'for two' and gain huge amounts of weight?
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                              I could have sworn that OBs no longer tell you to eat 'for two' and gain huge amounts of weight?
                              Don't get me started.... They had me gain 50 lbs because my "low weight and blood pressure" were a worrying factor. I'm *still* working on shedding that. /growl
                              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
                              X