This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Interviews SUCK part II

I currently work part-time in a doctor's office, which is a big step up from the frozen yogurt hell where I used to work, but it is still nowhere near where I want to be. I'm searching for a full time salaried position in a certain pay range with benefits, which as you know are hard to come by these days. However, last week I finally managed to land an interview for a good job with an awesome company. The interview was on Monday, and it was going pretty well until the following exchange:

Q: What do you think of social media?

Me: I think it serves a valuable purpose. I have friends all over the world and I keep in touch with them through Facebook.

Q: May we see your Facebook page?

Me: .....

Q: It's just so we can get to know you better.

Me: Um...okay, I don't see why not.

I totally wimped out. What I really wanted to say was...

Me: You want to get to know me better? Isn't that what this interview is for? Seriously, does anyone ever fall for that steaming pile of horseshit?? My private life is just that, private. The last thing I want is a bunch of armchair psychiatrists combing through my photos counting how many there are of me with a drink in my hand and speculating how often I will be showing up to work hung over. If an interview isn't good enough for you, then I guess we're done here.

My privacy settings ensure that no one sees my Facebook page without friending me. Sure enough, I got a friend request from the woman who interviewed me, and I rejected it. Somehow I don't think I got the job, but I won't be losing any sleep over it.

The search continues...

I know what you mean. Without going into fratching, I personally frown upon the idea of bosses trying to look through our private social lives.

I, curse a lot on my page, but never in professional settings. I make silly jokes all the time, but I am a serious person.
    I dunno, it does rub me the wrong way.

Comment

Also trying to avoid fratching ... but I agree with both of you. Is it possible to open a second FB page and make it as staid and boring as you can?

Comment

My response to that would have been simple:
        "No, I'm not comfortable with that. I keep my private life separate from my job."

Comment

I always fudge that question, talking about how I think it's great (yeah yeah), and how I used it once to network for a job I worked for a website (true), but I never mention having a Facebook or G+. Only one person ever tried to ask me further, and I always declined them looking at it, since I "kept it only for family contacts and personal matters" (totally a lie ).

So far hasn't caused major issues, but I honestly think that companies have no business looking at stuff like that.
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I would have told them that according to the Facebook TOS.. I am NOT to share my password with anyone. Additionally there could be discriminatory information on there that may or may not influence their hiring decision.

Comment

Quoth Misty View Post

Me: .....

Q: It's just so we can get to know you better.

Me: Um...okay, I don't see why not.
              make an account on link'd in, if anyone asks again, explain that link'd in is for professional contacts, facebook is for personal, and the two groups are mutually exclusive.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I have the dstinct feeling that if a potential employer requests to see your social media connections in order to secure a job then that's a job I wouldn't want no matter how good the salary is. They don't call a "Private Life" "Private" for nothing.

Comment

Quoth Misty View Post
                  Q: What do you think of social media?

Me: I think it serves a valuable purpose. I have friends all over the world and I keep in touch with them through Facebook.

*MOD EDIT - Trimmed excessive quote.

I think the mistake you made (and it was an honest one that anyone could have made) was that you volunteered that you have a FaceBook account.

You could say still say that you think social media serves a valuable purpose, as it allows people from all over to connect. And leave it at that.

If you're then asked if you have a FB account, you can answer the question without lying by saying something like, "That is a fair question. However, whether or not I have a FaceBook page is not relevant to my ability to perform the job." Or something like that.

Personally, I don't have a FaceBook page. If I did, though, it would be used strictly in a professional capacity.
                  Last edited by Ree; 03-08-2013, 03:01 AM. Reason: Trimmed excessive quote
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    Personally, I don't have a FaceBook page. If I did, though, it would be used strictly in a professional capacity.
                    that is what link'd in is for, professional networking.
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      Think of link'd in as Facebook for professionals, where you list professional people you interact with, instead of all your pictures from 3-4-1 night at Booger's Sports Bar, where you got rip-roaring drunk, ground on girls (or guys), got in a couple fights, and woke up in the dumpster.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Here's an answer for next time.
                        "What do you think of social media?" (they're asking THINK not do).
                        "I think it's great for advertising and finding new markets"

"Do you have a FB account?"
                        "I don't need to." (notice that's kind of what they want to hear, but technically FB IS a choice.)

"why not? Everyone has one"
                        "I like using other communications too" (Notice you are saying other ways, and 'too' meaning FB may be included, but not specified) Steer them to LinkedIn and other ways you have. Skype?

And if anyone asked me, I'd say "Sorry, that's not possible." Lather rinse repeat.
                        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Or my answer. "I have one, but I haven't really used in the last couple years, I've been far too busy with other friends and projects to do much internet socializing."

Sort of the truth. I've been far too busy on Tumblr to play around on Facebook anymore
                          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                            Sort of the truth. I've been far too busy on Tumblr to play around on Facebook anymore
                            I'm more active on twitter, it doesn't require a long attention span, and isn't cluttered up with game requests.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                              explain that link'd in is for professional contacts, facebook is for personal, and the two groups are mutually exclusive.
                              This, EXACTLY this. I actually include my LinkedIn URL (that is, the URL for ppl that I'm not connected to already) in my resume or cover letter. This way, should they ask for my FB account details, I can always play dumb and say "but I already gave you my LinkedIn info, why is that not enough? <blink-blink>
                              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X