This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Things that annoy me!

I work in a cinema which is cruisy a lot of the time but you tend to have to answer and repeat the same things again and again until you even question yourself....

Number 1:
    Read the freaking program properly!
    So our program is set up in three sections, The Main Cinema (MC), the little heritage listed cinema (CA) and the crappy cinema (CB). It is very clear what it says and I don't see how people can get it wrong. The Main Cinema plays the blockbuster hits that everyone loves! CA and CB play art house films and films that aren't very popular...
    Why would you come to CA and try and get a ticket for Guardians of the Galaxy? The titles of what movies that are playing are clearly out the front of the cinema! Sorry, off to MC you go. Oh you don't know where that is? I'll just get my co worker to explain it to you because I can't be screwed anymore and I have had to repeat the same directions about 4 times already today.
    I know it doesn't sound bad but if you saw the program it is clearly marked out with big black letters which cinema has what movies playing!

Number 2:
    Don't assume since I work at a cinema I have seen all the movies. I guess you want my opinion but I am just so fed up with people asking me about 10 times a day have I seen the movie. Some even give me a weird looks and say 'But you work here!' Yes correct I WORK here. I don't get paid to watch the movies I get paid to serve you! Pretty sure if I went and sat in a movie when I'm working I would get fired on the spot.
    Although, they probably think in my free time I go to the movies.... wrong! 6 days a week working in a cinema really makes you despise movies. Sure I get in for free but all I want to do is sleep on my day off.

Number 3:
    SC: Two for <movie name>
    Me: Sorry that is only on at MC and CB
    SC: What times?
    Me: <says session times>
    SC looks at husband: What times is it on at <competitors names>?
    Me: Probably asking her husband so I'll just keep going with my work
    I look up.
    SC: *gives me black stare*
    Me: Oh I don't know the times for them. We are a separate company.
    SC: *looks at husbands, shakes her head and sighs*
    Wait?! Why would I tell you the times for my competitors? We want your money here! My boss would be furious if I sent them to another company for the exact same movie!

Okay so these aren't really sucky but I didn't realise how dumb some people are or just how many things I have to repeat.
    Last edited by Kim Brody; 09-02-2014, 04:38 AM.
    How have I not killed anyone yet?

Quoth Kim Brody View Post
    Wait?! Why would I tell you the times for my competitors? We want your money here! My boss would be furious if I sent them to another company for the exact same movie!
    Yeah, people ask me if various other stores in town carry certain items, how much it will cost, directions on how to get there... Um. Maybe I know the answer, maybe I don't. Regardless, my answer will be "I'm not sure." I used to try to be helpful, but have given up caring. Cheaper at our competitor? Cools. I'm sorry our competitor is "way across town", I must have planned that on purpose.

I have also been yelled at because we supposedly stopped carrying some item. "Blerg blerg I can't find this ribbon I need more where is it arg blarg" And I finally pry the ribbon out of her claw and see that it says "made exclusively for *competitor.*" When I point this out, the crone manages "aren't you *competitor*?? Where is it then? WHERE! That's across town! I need this for a wedding TODAY!"
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I hated the competitor thing. Yes the always-changing-its-name-burger with cheese at The Clown's Burger Place is almost the same as the signature burger of König von Burgeren, but there's a bit of difference. Even worse was people asking for Chili at The Clown's Burger Place, when Pippi Longstockings Twin's place is right across the street.

Comment

Quoth Kim Brody View Post
        Okay so these aren't really sucky....
        Yes they are.

It's probably one of the most repeated vents here at CS. What probably sticks in most of our craws is that it would take so little empathy for sucktomers to realize that we have heard these things over 9000 times.

Comment

Where did the idea come from that just because we work at some place means we have tested all the products and know everything about them? Sure, maybe that was true back in the day when we had hardware stores and bakeries and other awesome mom and pop places, but not so much these days. If I worked in a movie theater, I probably wouldn't want to watch movies much either. I work at Hellmart, and I can't stand it when people ask me if I've tried a product or if I know anything about it - especially when I get stuck at the cosmetics register. Do I look like I wear makeup? No. I can tell you some things about nail polish because I love it, but that's pretty much it. Additionally, I just don't shop much period. I don't like to waste my money on useless crap, therefore I don't know much about it. Sorry. I am here to check you out at the register. If I were a product tester, I'd probably be at corporate and I wouldn't have to deal with you customers.....
          Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

I can think of one and only one time it's appropriate to ask a shop for info about the competition -- when they're looking for something that ONLY that competitor carries or does, and the store you're in has no equivalent item/service. That's it. When I was working at DaddyJim's pizza, people would ask us for the number for the Big D down the street -- even if we knew, we weren't gonna give those out -- or for their specials. Yeaaahhh...If they asked about where to get desserts or pasta dishes, yeah, we'd say to try them (or, better, an actual Italian joint). They were the closest thing was had to a competitor.

* Pizza Hovel was effectively dine-in only in NOLA, as the local franchise owner didn't feel that delivery was important. At all...He felt the same way about paying his taxes, and this got ALL of his stores (every PH within a 20 mile radius of the city or so) shut down a few years back ^_^ Upside to this: It allowed lesser national chains like "Et tu, Brute" and small local places to get a solid foothold and eventually go national (or, in one case, international)
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

König von Burgeren
              Good one

I hate when people try to get info about competitors from me. Do I know the name of the newspaper in Nearby Town? Maaaybe...But no, I definitely don't have their phone number. And I'm not gonna Google it for you, either. Go ask ABC if they'll give you NBC's contact info and see where that gets you...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Was asked to run the drive-thru for a few minutes O.O, I was the bookkeeper, and didn't have a clue - total fun. Not. Anyways, the dude asked for a Big Mac, this was a Hardees, told them we aren't Mickey Dees and we have the Big Twin/Big Deluxe. Nope. We want a Big Mac. Sorry can't help you, Mickey Dees is down the road or you can order a burger we have, your choice.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                  König von Burgeren
                  This is what I'm calling it from now on.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I was taught that it's okay to direct a customer to your competitor - if the customer is looking for a product/service you can't provide, and you direct them to somewhere they can, they will remember that you did so. They'll come back to you for what you do provide.
                    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Hah! reminds me of some of the idiots from when I worked at a theatre.

Sure, lets ask an employee what they thought of the movie, on the first show of opening night. Sometimes we had watched it the night before, after close, but that was the exception, not the rule.

I'm not even sure if they can do employee shows the way we did, what with everything going digital and internet connected. I was out of the theatre before projectors started being upgraded to digital, but the industry was talking about the eventual switch and projector manufacturers kept sending surveys and teaser sheets in regards to features and the like. I can't remember which mfg it was that had it as a big part of their advertising campaign, but one of the things that was being touted was connected monitoring. The film company would know if it's film was being played, if there were playback problems, etc.

Heck, part of the reason digital projectors didn't make it back then was that the internet was too slow. Most of the distribution chain seemed to agree why bother switching over until it eliminates mailing. Sure, hard drives were easier to ship than cans of film, but hard drives came with their own set of problems. Once they could essentially email a film to the theatre, the push for digital projection was on.

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
                        Hah! reminds me of some of the idiots from when I worked at a theatre.

Sure, lets ask an employee what they thought of the movie, on the first show of opening night. Sometimes we had watched it the night before, after close, but that was the exception, not the rule.
                        Haha yeah so true! First session and they think we know everything about it!! Oh and yeah digital projectors are pretty simple now. There is basically no such thing as a projectionist any more. They still schedule in the movies but now they don't need to be in the projector rooms. No one does unless someone is turning them on or off which anyone can do! I feel bad for all the projectionists out of the job
                        How have I not killed anyone yet?

Comment

And for help with how to pronounce it.

kernik fone bearger-in is a close approximation.

Though even worse was people at the post I was at previously (major shipping center for Brown Beast) looking for the local (as in two blocks away) no name motel.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                            Where did the idea come from that just because we work at some place means we have tested all the products and know everything about them?
                            I get that at work too. Okay, I know a bit about sewing clothing. I can help them there. But the customers don't understand why I don't know quilting, knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, cake decorating, etc. Why not? Because I work for a living! I have a family to take care of and rent to pay. I don't have any money to spare for trying out new and expensive hobbies!
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                              I was taught that it's okay to direct a customer to your competitor - if the customer is looking for a product/service you can't provide, and you direct them to somewhere they can, they will remember that you did so. They'll come back to you for what you do provide.
                              I do this. I have loyal customers because of it.

Still, XCashier, I know... I haven't seen every movie we carry because I don't have the money to go to the movies nor buy media.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X