Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of the lil punk-type kid who tried to ride the bus for free by saying "I only gots large bills." Bus driver pointed out the grocery store (with a money services counter) right by the bus stop and said "you can get change there, the next bus will be along in 20 minutes." He wasn't too pleased. She didn't care.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
      I was putting the down payment on my dream car; had two thousand in hundreds in the breast pocket of my little blue business suit.

Man, I thought I was hot sh*t back then.
      Is that a downpayment in your breast pocket or are you just pleased to see me
      At least it would have been useful as padding....
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
        I was putting the down payment on my dream car; had two thousand in hundreds in the breast pocket of my little blue business suit.

Man that is as bad as me back in the day. 35 odd years ago I bought my very first computer (Apple][+) completely with cash ($3300+ with all the add-ons and software I got)
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          Unfortuneately one of the delivery drivers at my store regularly walks around with a wallet full of $20s $50s and $100s
          That *WILL* eventually catch up to him, especially in this day and age. He'll be fortunate if he isn't killed when it does.

Comment

Heard this on Car Talk: "I doubled the value of my old sports car. I filled it up with gas."

Comment

I absolutely cannot stand 'high rollers'. We get a lot of them at my store who try to buy a 50 cent bag of chips and pay with $100 and we always shoot them down. When they get mad we point out that our store is sandwiched in between TWO banks

Comment

Quoth OneMoreTime View Post
                I think people believe that cashier tills have several thousand dollars in them at all times.
                That wouldn't surprise me at all. The amount of times I've had someone ask for cash back in a ridiculous amount (I think my fav was $1500 at 1am) and then freak out because you can't do it...
                Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                  He'll be fortunate if he isn't killed when it does.
                  Unfortunately, that's the reason why delivery drivers are sometimes targeted. I know a guy who drives a food truck at night, and he's had people try to rob him more than once. Nothing scarier than being alone in the warehouse district at 3AM, and having some asshole try to rob you. So far, he's been lucky to fight off his attackers.

But back to the $100 thing. For years, my grandmother always had a hundred in her wallet. It was easier than writing out a check for groceries. The only time she had more than that, was around Christmas--she'd give all of her grandchildren (10 of us) $100.

Then there's the time I was having some porch railings installed. It was either pay $600 in cash, or $800 by check. Naturally, I chose the cheap option. But, because the bank was closed at the time, I had no choice but to use the ATM. Putting a wad of $20s into my wallet soon draw the attention of one of the scumbags near the office. He tried to follow me back to work, before an oncoming police car made him go the other way. I could have been robbed in broad daylight Since then, I rarely carry more than $20 in cash.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post

The guy who bought my last car paid me in hundreds. 20 of them. Which i promptly stopped at the bank and deposited on my way back to work!

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      Who in hell wanders around with $100 bills in their wallet?!
                      For purchases that small, it's been scammers and counterfeiters in my experience.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        I did that once, walked in with $20 000 in cash split between both BDU leg pockets. Place had a habit of selling cars to military by 'bargaining down' but really slamming them on the interest because they did the financing themself. If you didn't have to consider the interest on the loan, the prices were probably 10% lower than normal car deals. SO I did the bargain and inquire about a loan thing so I got the price as low as I could get it, then when we wrote the contract for the sale I got the price locked in, then he whipped out the loan form and I whipped out the cash and told him I decided I didn't want a loan *evil giggle* Sucked to be him =)
                        As a former car salesman who worked in a corrupt dealership, I applaud you.
                        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                          And counterfeiters, which is why a fair number of small shops and fast-food places simply won't take them at all.
                          They think that most cashiers are unable to tell the difference between fakes and real bills. Here's a good guide of what to look for in US currency. This is something everyone should know. Don't depend on the counterfeit-checking pen; that's easily fooled.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            Then there's the time I was having some porch railings installed. It was either pay $600 in cash, or $800 by check. Naturally, I chose the cheap option. But, because the bank was closed at the time, I had no choice but to use the ATM. Putting a wad of $20s into my wallet soon draw the attention of one of the scumbags near the office. He tried to follow me back to work, before an oncoming police car made him go the other way. I could have been robbed in broad daylight Since then, I rarely carry more than $20 in cash.
                            Crap I have to do this, I got a good deal on a rifle from a friend but I have to stop and get a few hundred out of a ATM on the way over tonight.
                            Then again, I am lic to carry a gun and do so
                            AkaiKitsune
                            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

When I worked at a hardware store I had a guy try to cash a large bill first thing in the morning before. I said he could either use a smaller amount, or simply wait around until I had enough cash. By golly, he actually waited around.

Comment

Working...
                              X