• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "How do you pronounce it?"

The word: "pecan".

Do you pronounce it "pee-can"?

Do you pronounce it "pee-con"?

Or do you pronounce it "p'con" (puh-con), which is the correct way?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I grew up in the south. It's peh-KAHN.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I do not over pronounce the first syllable, but say it more like the third option. I’m from New England, but live in the south, for the record.

Comment

P'KAWN, o' course, Dawwwwlin'!

And never, ever "pee-kan"...That's another word for porta-potties! O_O
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Awesome! Seems like the 4 of you say it the correct way!

I always jokingly tell people it's not "pee-can", because that's a can you pee in.

I was born and raised in Texas, so I say it the 3rd way, myself. My maternal grandmother used to have a pecan tree in her back yard. There would be many days when I'd be over there and either pick the pecans up off the ground, or climb up in the tree and give the limbs a good shaking.

Pick up the fallen pecans, crack the shells, eat...
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post

Pick up the fallen pecans, *check for worm holes in the shell*, crack the shells, eat...
            Fixed that for you. It only takes cracking open one or two pecans to discover the shell filled with whatever sort of grub it is to learn to look for those tiny little holes.
            Last edited by EricKei; 12-02-2017, 12:20 AM.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              Fixed that for you. It only takes cracking open one or two pecans to discover the shell filled with whatever sort of grub it is to learn to look for those tiny little holes.
              Especially if you're cracking them in your mouth and spitting out the shells...
              I quit doing that after a rancid brazil nut...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                Of the thousands of pecans my family cracked when I was growing up, we never found a worm in one of them.

We had relatives with pecan trees and got lots of free nuts over the years. My father had a mechanical nut cracker that he would use to crack pecans while he watched TV. My mother would then bake them into delicious goodies. Those were the days.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Lots of places I lived growing up had pecan trees growing wild or semi-wild. I'd often gather a bucket or two of the nuts, but had to do all the shelling the hard way. Most of them got eaten just plain, my female parental unit was not a baker.

Comment

The Pee-Can song and story: Handy House by Cheryl Wheeler.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                    X