Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer gets rewarded for not reading the sign!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer gets rewarded for not reading the sign!

I was cashiering at the fabric store tonight, when a woman came up to my register with four bags of fiberfill (stuffing for teddy bears and other toys). She seemed nice enough at first, and asked me if she could return a bag if she didn’t need it. I said she could, and to keep her receipt to expedite the return.

So, four bags of fiberfill at $5.99 each, for a total of $23.96. She informed me that they were on sale, there was a sign saying they were 40% off. I went back and looked.

There were signs for 40% off, but they were for the quilt batting (flat sheets of stuffing for quilts), the prices started at $7.49, and the sale had ended two days ago. Granted, our bad for not pulling the signs, but she still didn’t qualify for the sale price. I took the signs back and showed them to her, explaining the details.

Well, sweet little Dr. Jekyll turned to Ms. Hyde rather quickly. She demanded to know why they were with the fiberfill (um, because they’re on the same aisle as the quilt batting?!) and demanded the nonexistent sale price. I restated my position. She scowled at me like she was trying to Jedi Mind-Trick me into giving in to her.

The MOD was on another register helping another customer, and told me to go ahead and give her the price. The customer became all sunshine and smiles once more, and oh look, she also has a 15% off entire purchase coupon to go with her new discounted prices! So she ended up paying $12.20, slightly more than half of the original price! Finally, the purchase is over, and she practically dances out the door.

This isn’t the first time I’ve had a manager override me and make me change prices for a customer. And the last time it happened, the store manager yelled at me the next day for changing the prices. I told the MOD this, and he said he’d take the blame for it. I’m glad he will, and he’s really a nice guy, but we just trained that customer that she can pitch a fit and make her own prices. I really hate when that happens.
    Last edited by XCashier; 09-02-2014, 09:16 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

I look forward to the day when this insanity has gone on for so long and 'corporate' is so stupid that I can pull this kind of crap at a car dealership. I will single-handedly bring Detroit to its knees. bwahahahahahaha!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      I look forward to the day when this insanity has gone on for so long and 'corporate' is so stupid that I can pull this kind of crap at a car dealership. I will single-handedly bring Detroit to its knees. bwahahahahahaha!
      Hah! I could see that.

"Sir, the $19.95 is for a toy Camaro..."

"The ad says $19.95...I want that Camaro, fully loaded, for that price!!"
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        Sure, it's easier to avoid confrontation by giving in...but that is also the quickest way to give the SC the idea that being a rude asshole will get them anything they want. I don't play that way.
        Absolutely. Customer should be given a choice: be a mature adult and pay the actual price, or throw a tantrum and get kicked out. Item they wanted is exclusive to your store? Tough shit.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Never

Never give in to the MOD about this, *ALWAYS* insist that they sign something that you can present to the store manager.

If needed talk to the store manager first, point out the problem and ask they how they would like these over=rides to be recorded. Make them thin it is their idea!

Comment

Hate that. Serious. Our old store manager would do this all the time. To the point that I would just do the stupid override without asking, because she would walk by -not even stop or look- and say "go ahead." She's gone now, but the prospective new manager is not much better. She says to do special cuts. Meaning, if a customer wants 10 cuts of one fabric, say for curtain panels, or blankets she will make me do it.

Why? Because "there is no official rule against it." I call bull on this one. We enforce many rules which are not official. We make customers go to register one for returns, not official. We only use the framing register for framing purchases. Not official. Oh, and the take a number system? Where is that written down officially? No where. (not that I disagree with any of these, just sayin) We could ABSOLUTELY refuse to do special cuts. So if you're in my store, and see this happening, it could be management forcing the employee to do it.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Absolutely. Customer should be given a choice: be a mature adult and pay the actual price, or throw a tantrum and get kicked out. Item they wanted is exclusive to your store? Tough shit.
              Of course, in the real world a spineless manager gives them what they want. Which reinforces their thought process that whining, moaning and screaming like a two-year old gets you what you want...

Comment

and the managers are spineless because if they actually enforce the policies, they get in trouble...

Comment

How much do you want to bet that she returns at least one package and demands the listed non-sale price back?

Comment

Quoth wheeitsmee View Post
                    How much do you want to bet that she returns at least one package and demands the listed non-sale price back?
                    She shouldn't get it. When you do a return you get back what you paid for the item, sans taxes.

If she doesn't have her receipt she doesn't get to do the return.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Bitch.

And this should be the store's official policy:

A choice: be a mature adult and pay the actual price, or throw a tantrum and get kicked out. Item they wanted is exclusive to your store? Tough shit.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth wheeitsmee View Post
                        I don't take sucker bets.

If she tries to return it without the receipt, the computer is programmed to give her the lowest price it sold at, and I'm pretty sure we had it on sale for half price a few months back, so she'd get less than she paid if she tried to be dishonest about it.

But frankly, I'd rather not have to deal with her again.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I like

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          If she tries to return it without the receipt, the computer is programmed to give her the lowest price it sold at, and I'm pretty sure we had it on sale for half price a few months back, so she'd get less than she paid if she tried to be dishonest about it.
                          I like how your computer works, they should all do this.

This would cut deeply in the "Buy to just burrow it" crowd, and some other scams.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                            I like how your computer works, they should all do this.

This would cut deeply in the "Buy to just burrow it" crowd, and some other scams.
                            That's one thing I like about our registers. People haaaaate it, and it makes me smile inside every time.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                            X