• Show
Clear All

• I did a 4-move checkmate!

Some of it is luck, but here's how it went (I was playing as white):

1. e4, h5
    2. Bc4, g6
    3. Qf3, a6
    4. Qxf7#
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

That's a classic scholar's mate. (amusingly enough, occasionally you get a real bonehead of an opponent that allows mate in 3 moves. ( a fool's mate- 2-move checkmate- basically never occurs in actual play))

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
      That's a classic scholar's mate. (amusingly enough, occasionally you get a real bonehead of an opponent that allows mate in 3 moves. ( a fool's mate- 2-move checkmate- basically never occurs in actual play))
      As it was unfolding, I couldn't believe it. I've never seen a 3 mate move, but I would assume it's possible.

But when I did this, I was playing online at chess.com. So I was playing another person of somewhat similar skill level to me.

Comment

it's known as the Bonehead Defense (I wonder why?):
        1. e4 e5
        2. Qh5 Ke7
        3.Qxe5#

basically, black advances the pawn in front of the king, then the king, and white captures the pawn. It's another one that's presumably more theoretical than actually occurs (the Fool's Mate is basically when white advances his f-and g- pawns on the first two moves, and black uses his queen to mate the king. it can only actually be achieved by black, and requires white to be fairly moronic.)

Comment

I don't know why, I have kind of adopted a "Center Game" approach. That's what the CPU tells me is generally the best way to start, based on the (basic -- free) analysis of my games.

My opening move (as white) is usually e4, then possibly e5, followed by either Nc3 or Nf3. Then I just kinda let things develop from there.

And I'm not sure why, but the site I'm using keeps automatically denying draws when an opponent offers them. It's happened several times. I might have to go on their forums and ask why.
          Last edited by Dave1982; 08-02-2017, 01:53 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

move 1 is indeed a perfectly standard opening- however, Ke7 by Black is the boneheaded part, since that means Black advanced his King forward one- allowing White to capture Black's pawn for the checkmate. The boneheaded part is advancing the King far, far too early in the game, and without checking if said king can be easily captured. It's what's meant by "think 3 moves ahead"- which you may have heard- when making a move, think about how the other player might react to said move.

Comment

I don't really play often enough to really get better. That's why I play online and on the app on my phone (rather challenging, actually).

I always end up making dumb moves or not seeing something on the board. That's what's keeping me from really improving. Of course, part of that could be that I'm playing 10 minute "blitz" games, because that's really about all I have time for.

Comment

Ex husband and I used to play chess games that sometimes ran a week or longer. We used a magnetic chessboard, and hung it on the wall between moves (to keep it out of reach of the cats). Which way it was hanging showed whose move it was. I don't play chess much lately, but I'm not terrible at it. My style is apparently unconventional enough that it confuses people, at least the first few times they see it. It's effective enough that I still manage a decent win ratio even once they get used to it.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I've found a certain level of difficulty in the 10 minute "blitz" games. I'm trying to get better at them first. I would like to play a longer game (maybe a 30 minute one), but I don't really have the time right now.

I played a chess game I have on my phone (on level 4) and finally got a checkmate at that level.

What I like about the online one, though, is that you can do a computer analysis of the game when it's over. My big problem is I always make those one or two costly mistakes/moves. Sometimes it's because I don't see an angle or a piece on the board, or since I'm playing a 10 minute game, I don't think through a move, and just make one. I've won several games on "time" (i.e. the other person's time ran out).

Comment

I actually wouldn't mind playing more. I just don't have a whole lot of time to. I play the 10 minute blitz games online because they're short, but not too short.

I will occasionally play a game at home with my wife or son, but we're all generally doing other things.

That said, I thought about buying one of those vinyl roll-up boards with the pieces and bringing it to work, but since I've only had this job for a couple of months, I don't know my co-workers well enough to ask any of them to play (at lunch, of course), and I'd feel like a dummy sitting in the lunch room with a chess board set up...waiting on someone to sit across from me and play.

Comment

I had to "resurrect" this thread to say the following:

I was playing chess online the other day, and pulled off the Scholars Mate twice -- against the same person!! In back-to-back games! Once as black, once as white.

I could not believe it!

Comment

Working...
                      X