Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I survived a hurricane - give me free stuff!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I survived a hurricane - give me free stuff!

I figured my last post about storm related SCs would be my last but sadly I was wrong...

Reasonable vs. Unreasonable

Let's compare the following situations shall we?

Reasonable: Wanting a priority shipping fee to a Florida address waived.

Unreasonable: Wanting a free upgrade due to same.

Reasonable: Wanting a credit for about a week of missed service due to a storm damaged tower it took us awhile to get back up.

Unreasonable: Wanting a credit for an ENTIRE MONTHS BILL because of same.

Reasonable: Wanting us to bump up your upgrade eligibility by a month to replace a phone that was damaged by Irma.

Unreasonable: Wanting a free iPhone 8 because of same.

Reasonable: Wanting a restoral fee waived for an account that was suspended for non pay the day after Irma came ashore.

Unreasonable: Wanting a restoral fee waived for an account that was suspended for non pay a MONTH BEFORE Irma came ashore.

Reasonable: Asking nicely for a credit when I tell you two towers in your area are still down due to storm damage.

Unreasonable: Cussing me out becuase I won't give you the TWO FREE MONTHS of service you're demanding of me for the same issue as above.

Iphone is NOT a generic term!

It never fails. Customer calls because of problems with their iPhone. I spend ten minutes asking questions they seem somewhat confused about only for me to discover that the device in question is NOT an iPhone. It's a Samsung or an LG or some other non Apple device.

Here's a handy tip folks. Look at the back of your phone. If you don't see a GIANT APPLE there, you do NOT have an iPhone!

It happens with iPads too.

A Kindle Fire is not an iPad.
    A Samsung Tab E is not an iPad.
    An LG G Tab is NOT an iPad!

And for those of you who get mad at ME because YOU told me the wrong kind of device and now we have to start all over...I hope you get stabbed by a cactus.

In which the messenger gets shot...repeatedly

Okay, read the following scenario and tell me how much of this I had control over:

Lady calls in, phone is broken. It's also out of warranty so she says, but she thinks she has insurance and can I please confirm that for her.

No, I can't. Why? She can't verify the account. Okay, well then I can tell her how much the deductible would be? Yes, I can give her a general idea. Specifics? No, not that because she can't verify the account. Can I use anything else to verify her? No. Can I give her a hint about the passcode? No. Can I reset the passcode for her? No, because she is NOT the account holder. He won't mind she says, just go ahead and do it. Uhhh, my bank account will mind lady because that's a really quick way to get my ass fired. Not gonna happen. So then she asks how she can reset the passcode only for me to reiterate again that she CAN'T because (say it with me now), she's NOT THE ACCOUNT HOLDER.

She then says "well, you're pretty freaking useless aren't you?" and hangs up.

She is correct is the sense that I pretty much did do nothing but only because that was about all I COULD do thanks to her being totally unprepared when calling in.

And she'll probably bury me on the survey if she gets one too. Fortunately, my manager is understanding and won't chew me out about said survey because as previously established there was NOTHING I COULD DO.

How do you people get through life??

I firmly believe anyone who buys a smart device should have to pass a test demonstrating they are reasonably competent with using it. Almost every day I talk to people who:

- Cannot find their power/lock button
    - Have no F%$^ing clue what a home button is
    - Do not know how to turn wifi on (or off)
    - Do not how to get to their settings
    - Do not know how to login into email
    - Have no idea what a Play Store or App Store is
    - Have no idea what "signal bars" are or where to find them.

I'm sure I could make this list longer but you get the point. I get not being able to do the more advanced stuff but these are really basic things right here akin to not knowing where the wheels are on your car or how to put your key in the ignition.

I never read that so it doesn't apply to me

Okay, let's review:

- You admit you got a tablet at a <Red Checkmark> store a few months ago
    - You also admit that you did NOT read all the fine print before signing for it nor did you apparently notice the email confirmation we sent or the mailed letter verifying the account changes, nor did you bother to review your receipt after you left the store.
    - As a result, you never saw the part of the fine print that stated you were agreeing to a contract and if you want to cancel before your term is up, you need to pay a termination fee.

So now you're arguing with me that I should waive the fee because you "never agreed to it". Okay bro, let's get this straight: Just because you didn't read something you signed does NOT mean you didn't agree to it! By signing it, you AGREED TO IT. No it doesn't have to be stated verbally. No, it's not a bait and switch. No, we're not trying to screw you. No, you can't amend the contract.

Oh so now you want to go to court to fight the fee? Good luck with that.

Short but stupid

This is a paraphrasing of a call I get often:

SC: How come you have no signal in Smallville, USA?
    Me: Well according to our coverage maps Smallville is a very rural wooded area about 30 miles from the middle of nowhere.
    SC: SO?
    Me:
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I started working for a telemarketing company recently.. but technically we do work for the company that is a fruit. I do order support.. the entitlement is amazing!!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

Reasonable vs. Unreasonable
      [snip]
      It's time for another Good Idea Bad Idea
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

No, I can't. Why? She can't verify the account. Okay, well then I can tell her how much the deductible would be? Yes, I can give her a general idea. Specifics? No, not that because she can't verify the account. Can I use anything else to verify her? No.
        I never read that so it doesn't apply to me

Okay, let's review:

- You admit you got a tablet at a <Red Checkmark> store a few months ago
        - You also admit that you did NOT read all the fine print before signing for it nor did you apparently notice the email confirmation we sent or the mailed letter verifying the account changes, nor did you bother to review your receipt after you left the store.
        - As a result, you never saw the part of the fine print that stated you were agreeing to a contract and if you want to cancel before your term is up, you need to pay a termination fee.

So now you're arguing with me that I should waive the fee because you "never agreed to it". Okay bro, let's get this straight: Just because you didn't read something you signed does NOT mean you didn't agree to it! By signing it, you AGREED TO IT. No it doesn't have to be stated verbally. No, it's not a bait and switch. No, we're not trying to screw you. No, you can't amend the contract.

Oh so now you want to go to court to fight the fee? Good luck with that.
        I get these two scenarios all the time. We lease stuff. It's finance. I can't just give out information if I don't know you're a part of that company. You could be a competitor getting a leg up on us or just a scammer. Why didn't you get the account number before you called?
        And about the not reading: our worst offenders are the lawyers and accountants. Really? If you're a lawyer you know about contracts, and it's your own name on the signature line. Now sometimes the person who signed is no longer with that company but the contract is still valid because it has the company name on it and there's a clause saying that responsibility moves forward to whomever is in charge of that company's finances. It's a legally binding document and you will have to pay a fee to terminate early. That's just how leases work.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          It's time for another Good Idea Bad Idea
          Good Idea: Feeding the cat.

Bad Idea: Feeding the cat, to a bear....

THE

END
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Worse idea: Doing the Heimlich maneuver on the bear to try and get the hairball it's trying to cough out.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              ...Bad Idea: Feeding the cat, to a bear....
              Especially if it's Greebo!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

about nreading: our worst offenders are the lawyers and accountants. Really? If you're a lawyer you know about contracts, and it's your own name on the signature
                I was stuck as a juror on a lawsuit where the jury endured 4 weeks of incredibly tedious testimony before the parties suddenly settled.

Plaintiff and defendant lived together in defedant's house. Plaintiff claimed that they had a verbal agreement that plaintiff would pay all household expenses and defendant would add plaintiff to the property deed. When they split up, plaintiff discovered that the deed transfer had never been done, and sued for half of the 7-figure property value. After the settlement, we jurors discussed it among ourselves and agreed that although the defendant was an asshole, we would have found in the defendant's favor.

Why? Because there were all kinds of clues the plaintiff would have seen, including documents the plaintiff signed. Not only that, the plaintiff could have looked up public records at any time. In fact, the plaintiff should have been better able to read the clues and look up records than the average person--since the plaintiff was an attorney who specialized in real estate.

Comment

It never fails. Customer calls because of problems with their iPhone. I spend ten minutes asking questions they seem somewhat confused about only for me to discover that the device in question is NOT an iPhone. It's a Samsung or an LG or some other non Apple device.

Here's a handy tip folks. Look at the back of your phone. If you don't see a GIANT APPLE there, you do NOT have an iPhone!

And for those of you who get mad at ME because YOU told me the wrong kind of device and now we have to start all over...I hope you get stabbed by a cactus
                  Wait, so you're saying that Apple didn't just come out with a new flip-phone Iphone? Dang, the sleazy guy behind the 7-11 who had a bunch of them for cheap must have been lying to me!

[/sarcasm/]
                  Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

You gave me a flashback. I used to review documents that then went to the federal government in support of our product. Then I would have to initial each page of every document I reviewed. Then in a meeting my boss said "Just because we sign it doesn't mean we agree to it." I just finished checking every letter and number on the paper. What the hell was she talking about? Maybe you got her husband on the phone.

Comment

I figured my last post about storm related SCs would be my last but sadly I was wrong...

And for those of you who get mad at ME because YOU told me the wrong kind of device and now we have to start all over...I hope you get stabbed by a cactus.
                      I see you've met my boss. last year she asks me "you have an ipad, right?" Yup, i sure do. Well, I'm having trouble with the Kindle app on mine, any ideas? Sure, what's it doing? She attempts to explain but i am a more visual learner so i told her well, i really would need to see it. Oh i have it with me.

Great! And pulls out an Android tablet. Um, sorry, i have an ipad, NOT a droid, so can't help you.

Comment

My Uncle gave my 80-something mother his IPhone when he upgraded to the latest model. She learned to use it by watching you-tube videos. Because she "knew" how to use an Apple device, when she wanted a tablet she got an ITablet.

My Sweetie and I are droid people. My mother will once in a while start asking me about a tech issue, then will correct herself by saying "Oh, of course you don't know, we don't have the same phone/tablet. That's like asking a Harley owner Honda questions."

Comment

Working...
                        X