This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We got scammed today

We got hit by two high school football teams today. During the second such rush, one of the participants orders $8.97 of food and hands me a ten, so I give him his change. Then he hangs out by the counter for a couple minutes, then asks if he can get his change - he paid with a twenty, and I only gave him $1.03 back, so he wants the rest of it. I was sleep depped and running on autopilot, and I knew it, so I figured I might really have messed it up. Snarling out loud as soon as I was somewhat out of earshot, I went looking for Sgt. Schedule (at this point the general manager), and explained it to him on the way back, not really caring anymore that said customer could probably clearly hear me say "he paid with a $10 but says he paid with a $20 and wants the rest of his change" or something similar. Sgt. Schedule just decides that it's way too busy to argue and just opens my drawer and gives the guy another $10.

It's only after this happens that I start to remember some vague things... such as that I have no memory of anyone giving me a $20 bill recently, but I'm pretty sure this specific guy gave me a $10 one after all. Later Sgt. Schedule pulls my till and guess what, it's $10 short. I'm not being blamed as far as I know, but it's still incredibly annoying. Who knows, might be an innocent mistake, but...

The really scary part was how easy it was for him. All he had to do was show up as part of a rush, hang around for a couple minutes, then keep a straight face while telling me I messed up his change, to get the benefit of the doubt and ten free dollars to go with. So easy a child could probably pull it off.
    Last edited by Shotgun Chuck; 09-24-2017, 04:30 AM.
    Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Can you contact his school and complain?

Comment

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
      Maybe, but that's the other problem. I probably don't remember enough about him to give a sufficient description (though if the school administration is sharp enough, they might be able to do enough with what I do have to scare him straight).
      Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

to do what?

It sucks but not worth the time.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

If I were manager i would contact the principal, explain what happened, and tell them that as a result they no longer want the football team coming as a large group. I think the Principal would have a few words for the coach, who would then most likely tear the team a new one.

Comment

Well, for the same reason Military/Police/etc CO's are normally *very* interested in hearing about this sort of thing -- especially with video evidence. It makes their whole unit/class (in the case of a school) look bad, and, by extension, the organization itself, to some extent. It's also a clear-cut case of a member committing a crime while representing the org, which is something that's often either explicitly forbidden or simply heavily implied if it is unwritten.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

While I did this job, I would not have been so bold.. But old crotchety me would have smiled, and asked for an ID. Ten bucks AND getting noticed by Ahole management?? Yeah.. you gonna get official or get gone.
              You hold power over me and abuse it. I do not like it, and say so. Suddenly I am a problem.. FIND. A. MIRROR!

Comment

If I were manager i would contact the principal, explain what happened, and tell them that as a result they no longer want the football team coming as a large group. I think the Principal would have a few words for the coach, who would then most likely tear the team a new one.
                If the store is willing to do that, it would be perfect. "Your team can come in in ones and twos. That's it." They'll find it a bit harder to pull a scam under those conditions.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                X