This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things we do not want donating...

If you're in the frame of mind to give something to your local charity shop,we would be delighted.

However,this does not include

a.Granny's entire bedroom drawer containing her prescriptions,social security documents,various pills,glasses cases,etc.etc.We can't just chuck them out because it has all her personal info and if you think we're going to start selling random unidentifiable tablets,think again

b.Your old baking drawer.Even we can't make an edible cake with a half-empty bottle of red food colouring ,a bag of flour that looks alive enough to start dancing any minute and cooking chocolate with a use by date of 2006. Seriously....

c.Your holey underwear. Even worse,your stained,holey underwear

That is all
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

My mum used to be manageress of the warehouse where donations for the local hospice were collected and sorted. Some of the highlights included:

1) Used vibrators.
    2) Used fetish gear.
    3) Used sanitary products.
    4) Large kitchen knives left loose in the middle of a bundle of clothes.
    5) Hypodermic syringes, used or unused.
    6) Used and unwashed underwear.

She also once had a rather nice wedding and engagement ring set mixed up in the middle of some donated clothing. She kept it in the safe, and not long after got a frantic call from a gentleman looking for them. Turns out he was recently widowed, and his wife's rings were accidentally bundled up in the clothing that he donated. Needless to say, he was very relieved to get them back!
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Outside of shirts and the occasional jacket/coat that hasn't seen the outside of the house since 1970 [slight exaggerating, but you get the idea], donating used undergarments isn't something I'd send to a local charity shop. That's just, ew. *shudder*

What about used shoes?
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
        Outside of shirts and the occasional jacket/coat that hasn't seen the outside of the house since 1970 [slight exaggerating, but you get the idea], donating used undergarments isn't something I'd send to a local charity shop. That's just, ew. *shudder*

What about used shoes?
        depends on the wear. lightly worn yes the ones with the holey soles no

Comment

In the category of "things that an op shop does not want donated," I read somewhere that a couple of op shop chains over here wouldn't take The Da Vinci Code or Fifty Shades of Grey because *everyone* was donating them.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
            In the category of "things that an op shop does not want donated," I read somewhere that a couple of op shop chains over here wouldn't take The Da Vinci Code or Fifty Shades of Grey because *everyone* was donating them.
            Heh. Used-bookstore worker here: People bring books to us as donations or hoping to sell them, and we see some screwy stuff. Certainly there are books that we get often, and the Da Vinci code is high on the list. Likewise, anything by Grisham is almost certain to be a "dupe" -- we get way more than we sell. Clancy, maybe half the time, and usually for his ghostwritten titles ("Tom Clancy and ...").

But we also get a fair bit of stuff that's pretty much trash. Most obviously, any book with the spine broken, or otherwise excessively damaged (much less stripped or cut for scanning), goes to the "free table" or trash. (A tip: If you're bringing books to donate somewhere, don't transport them in an open pickup truck in the rain. We had to toss a bunch of that guys books just for the new water damage.)

So do most textbooks, except math and physics. We also get a lot of outdated travel books,those little books of affirmations or religious scraps, and various other stuff that few people will buy. What doesn't get thrown out or free-tabled goes to a charity that's willing to pick them up by the crate, currently an American Veterans thrift store.

And then there's the oddities. The boss has a small wall covered with photos found in books, including a few nudies of their former owners or partners thereof. Once he found a $100 bill used as a bookmark. One guy's boxes this last week included his high-school (or maybe grade-school) diploma in its binder. Class notes, in looseleaf binders (OK, we are a university town.) Half-used "baby books" and other journals. Letters and receipts, plane tickets, etc. (Just today I saw a receipt from the 1930s.) We regularly get videotapes and audiobooks on cassettes. (We do keep a small section for those, but I don't think I've ever seen someone buy one.) Plus more miscellaneous items like picture frames, vinyl records, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X