This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sunk to my neighbors' level ugh

So it's Friday and I have off. I was in my kitchen around 1:00 pm trying to get lunch and watch something on Netflix which doesn't go high, volume-wise. On came their music which is against my dining room wall. Now, it's wasn't that loud because I've already complained to management about it. But it was loud enough that I couldn't hear my show and was being distracted thought-wise. I would've decided to go shower or do some stuff online in the bedroom but I was hungry. I needed to be in the kitchen right then. So I turned on my big fan against the wall like usual. It didn't work.

This is where I got sucky: I put on my favorite CD to sing to and started singing loudly in the kitchen/dining. I don't think it's a prob to put on music I like since it's in my living room and not against any of this neighbor's walls. In fact, I fear it'll bother the nice people below me since I can't get the bass to turn down (it's in my DVD player and TV--set how it's set). This went on for a bit and then they turned up the music. I decided I needed to do some paper shredding by the wall and they started banging on the walls. Honestly, they could very well have been putting in nails for pictures. They moved in recently and just put up a Christmas wreath, so maybe putting decorations up? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, I totally ignored it, swept my floor, and went to take a shower with my music still on.

I need to figure out how to handle this better when the music comes on. Again, not overly loud, just reverberating through the walls and this: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=118913 may or may not have been them. Whatever, it bothers me where it may not bother anyone else. I get that and that's why I usually just walk away. I leave the apt. or go in my bedroom. But if I actually need to be in the kitchen then it's a problem. That may be when I'm trying to get to work and it's taking my brain captive. (Anyone else have a problem with a driving beat doing that to their thought processes?) Mostly it happens on my days off when I don't need to be anywhere. I am looking at other apartments despite the fact that I really like this actual unit. It makes me sad.

ETA: Part of the reason I've stayed for 9 years was because my credit was bad and I was too broke to move or get another apt. Both of those things have changed but my lease says I can't move in winter, not until March or April. There's a new building down on the river that will have something available in February. The one-bedrooms are only $150 more than what I pay now. Other option: a 2-bedroom where the kitchen/living areas are on the outside of the building. Then I could take the bedroom in the middle of the apartment to create a buffer. I can find 2-bedrooms as cheap as the one I have now and a second room could be for sewing.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 11-24-2017, 07:11 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

My sympathies. I cannot stand people who insist on playing their music so damn loud that everyone else has to hear it. And this is not an "older person" thing - I've always felt this way.

At our old house, we had an idiot next door who'd put his radio outside and blast it. So one time my sister took our radio, turned it to the local polka station, and stuck it in the window, turned up as high as it would go. Idiot bitched about it, but he finally turned his music down, so we did too.

Hey, what's good for the goose...
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

People that play loud music outside always think that everyone loves the same music they do. Sometimes blasting something they will hate in return is a good way to remind them that is not the case.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        So one time my sister took our radio, turned it to the local polka station, and stuck it in the window, turned up as high as it would go. Idiot bitched about it, but he finally turned his music down, so we did too.
        I once joked to threaten a neighbor with an endless loop of "Call Me Maybe" after her daughter insisted on playing the drums all afternoon. There's a huge difference in practicing...and annoying the entire neighborhood. During the day I didn't care--I'd be at work, and she could make all the noise she wanted. Weekends were another story, especially in the summer. I shouldn't have to keep the house all closed up and deal with migraines because someone was pounding all day. We're talking the same rhythm for *hours* folks.

Unfortunately, after talking with several other neighbors, they were tired of it as well. While "Call Me Maybe" might have worked, they took a more draconian approach. That is, they complained to the borough...who slapped the offender with a fine for violating the borough's noise ordinance. Sad that it came to that, but we tried to be nice.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Based on how often you complain about your horrid neighbors I'd say move. But of course, whatever you think is best. I moved, and I'm so so happy about it. No more living next to the entryway of a 100+ year old building hearing STOMP STOMP SLAM all the time. Yes I hear my neighbors though the walls, but faintly. The worst they do is slam their kitchen cabinets, but not that often. Anyway, I actually like the change of moving, so possibly I'm biased, lol.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

^ I'm with you. I was stuck here but now I can move in the spring if I want. I just sent an email to a management company who is rebuilding an old wool mill into apartments. They will be character apartments with different floor plans, right on the river. There is another complex down there built in an old paper mill and the rents are very high, as in one of the one-bedrooms is $1144. But this newer one must be subsidized somehow. The one-bedrooms start at $750 and you have to make under a certain income according to number of people in the dwelling. I qualify. I think any minute concerns I have about my credit probably don't matter. I drove by last night and saw where it is. A couple of possible problems: narrow, slightly complicated network of roads to get around the waterways and the possibility of local students living there. However, the school is not a party school. It's a private, very expensive college, hard to get into and not well-known outside of our state. If they are enrolled they are serious about it. So they might not be a problem. I do really love the types of units you can get in an old mill. I think that this company has more modern looking units than the other company builds, which makes me sad. Here are some pictures of the other complex I can't afford, which is what I really want:

If I got to keep all my gross pay and had a side job I could afford one of those.
            Last edited by Food Lady; 11-25-2017, 04:42 PM.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
            X