This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads up to paypal users re: 1099K.

Ok, so everyone probably has gotten the lovely email about the PayPal 1099K coming out over the next couple of days. I did some research on this, and it's not fun.

Basically, if you use for PP for both business and personal (like many do, including me), its time to change that.

PP is now reporting all accounts that have "sales" (basically, any income) over $20,000 -and- have over 200 payments received.

So, I just found out that because I sold off some of my anime collection, it bumped me JUST over the limit on both. Due to the nature of the reporting that Paypal will be doing, the IRS has no way to realize that, in fact, my business income is lower than the threshold.

PP's response to this horrific mess is "consult a tax professional, we cannot help you." and "we recommend you create a secondary account for personal transactions, to keep them separate." Blagh.

tldr; If you use your paypal for business + personal, make a secondary account NAO.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Ah hell. I should tell the hubby.

Thanks, Seraph.

I wonder what Regretsy uses now. I'm sure they're not with PayPal any longer.

Comment

Eesh...glad i only use mine for personal stuff. Thanks for the heads up though, and good luck to everyone out there that uses their PP for business & personal!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. Luckily I rarely use my PayPal account for anything that isn't business (which, last I checked, isn't enough to put me over the limit), but I'll have to remember that for the future.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
        X