Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:33 AM
Newly minted cs BOFH

Quote:
Quoth lordlundar View Post
If the manufacturer of both the HDD and the SSD are the same, you might to check their website for a drive management app. Western Digital for example has a free, albeit reduced functionality of Arconis TrueImage on their website. I had just a couple days ago used it to clone my HDD to a higher capacity one with no issues.
sadly, the drives were from different manufacturers. The HDD was a WD while the SDD was Sandisk. I'm still looking for a good solution for m.2 drives, may have found one in a raspberry pi hat, but i havn't had a chance to test it yet.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Bagger

Quote:
Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
sadly, the drives were from different manufacturers. The HDD was a WD while the SDD was Sandisk. I'm still looking for a good solution for m.2 drives, may have found one in a raspberry pi hat, but i havn't had a chance to test it yet.
What are the problems you're running into? I'm intrigued now

Old 03-02-2019, 12:05 AM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Quote:
Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
sadly, the drives were from different manufacturers. The HDD was a WD while the SDD was Sandisk.
Check for new updates. WD bought Sandisk a few years ago; my wife worked for them at the time! They may now have compatibility tools.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:12 AM
Newly minted cs BOFH

Quote:
Quoth Naaman View Post
What are the problems you're running into? I'm intrigued now
The cloner i bought has 2 SATA3 slots, and an option for "one button cloning", its essentially an offline clone of the drive in slot A to slot B. I cannot be certain about the type of copy, if it is a bit for bit clone or just a hardware driven mass copy. Regardless, when i fired up the machine with the new SSD, windows showed the model and serial of the HDD rather than the SSD in device manager, and in the disc management section of admin tools.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Bagger

Not sure what type of copy it does and I don't think I've run into that problem.
Does it identify correctly in the BIOS\UEFI and have you looked at the drive in a partition manager?

Personally, I'd verify the old HDD is still fine and boots into Windows then with the SSD plugged in I'd try deleting the disk and IDE\ATA controllers from Device manager and reboot, making sure you've got the drivers for them. Worst case you can just clone the SSD from the HDD again...

Old 03-08-2019, 02:40 AM
Newly minted cs BOFH

I just nuked it via gpartd (the SSD) and did a fresh install, then copied the needed folders over. was actually faster than the clone. i mainly picked it up for extracting user data for my freelancing. I considered using it for a freezer recovery, but its been really humid lately and i was worried about frost ingress.