This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Hobbs View Post
    I understand, but you also don't hand out infractions just for the hell of it.
    Correct. We don't.

Quoth Hobbs View Post
    Each one has a specific reason.
    Also correct.

Quoth Hobbs View Post
    The wording, in my opinion, makes it so that you can just infract someone because you don't like them.
    It's private property. We could do that right now with or without any wording in the rules, if we were so inclined.

You'll just have to trust that the owner and staff of this fine establishment don't kick people off the property unless they've really worked hard to make themselves unwelcome guests.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
      Correct. We don't.

Also correct.

It's private property. We could do that right now with or without any wording in the rules, if we were so inclined.

You'll just have to trust that the owner and staff of this fine establishment don't kick people off the property unless they've really worked hard to make themselves unwelcome guests.
      Hmm, guess I'm just used to more democratic forums. Oh well, you're right on all counts *goes back to the basement*

Comment

There are democractic forums?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          There are democractic forums?

Rapscallion
          Yeah, the one I'm head mod on, I was elected to the position. It's the one I mentioned in the Advice Thread once.

Comment

Can't see how that works. If the forum owner decides to close up one day, then the will of the people cannot stop that.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Then the CS Gods will show you what they think of people who play "Silly Buggers" with them.

(Discworld ref)
              I'm a fire proof atheist...

Quoth Dips View Post
              Don't worry. Anyone who receives and infraction is always informed of it. If you aren't aware of any, you certainly don't have any.
              Actually until HYHYBT's post I wasn't aware that infractions were actual, and I did have one. I got the message and everything I just didn't know it was recorded there or timed out or anything.

I'm guessing it is in the rules somewhere. One of the perils of lurking substantially prior to posting anywhere is the amount of time likely to have passed since you read the rules.

I found HYHYBT's post very helpful, and learnt about a whole new bit of my profile page.

Victoria J

Comment

Can't see how that works. If the forum owner decides to close up one day, then the will of the people cannot stop that.
                That's what I was thinking.

The way to think about forums is this: There is an owner. The owner has invited us all into the forum, as one would invite someone into their home. The owner can ask someone to leave the forum just as one is free to ask someone to leave their home.

Do you allow your friends to vote on how you arrange your furniture in your home? What kind of beverages are in the fridge? Do they get to stay as long as they want, no matter how much of a pain in the ass they are? Of course not. You pay the household bills, that's your call.

This is Rapscallion's house, and we're fortunate that he is a gracious host. But never forget that you are a guest.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Rapscallion
                  It's more of a consensus thing. The site owner is also a member, and we have a whole constitution and everything. Pretty much, we've all decided that's how the forum is run.

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                    It's more of a consensus thing. The site owner is also a member, and we have a whole constitution and everything. Pretty much, we've all decided that's how the forum is run.
                    The forum owner is also a member here. The way the forum is run is the way that he decides it is run. Raps could declare that in order to post here, all avatars must be changed to pictures of furry moobs, and that would be that.
                    He also doesn't expect ANYONE to contribute towards the financial upkeep of the forums - just bear that in mind as well. This is something he is allowing the rest of us to use, for free, as long as we follow some very reasonable rules.
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

If you all pay for its upkeep voluntarily and not through advertising, I'd accept it as being democratic. However, the fact is that someone else can just shut you down at their whim.

I'll let people play quite happily, but it's a Rapocracy around here if things get awkward. The shit ends up on my hypothetical desk.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        The forum owner is also a member here. The way the forum is run is the way that he decides it is run. Raps could declare that in order to post here, all avatars must be changed to pictures of furry moobs, and that would be that.
                        He also doesn't expect ANYONE to contribute towards the financial upkeep of the forums - just bear that in mind as well. This is something he is allowing the rest of us to use, for free, as long as we follow some very reasonable rules.
                        Okay. I was just explaining how the other forum is run, since Raps seemed interested in it. We're a very old community, Internet-wise, so I think that, even if the site owner were to do something, he would still ask our consensus.

Speaking of financial upkeep, idk what the owner pays for the site upkeep. I should probably ask.

Comment

What he pays is irrelevant. How it's paid is.

Rapscallion

Comment

Oh, I didn't mean to sound insensitive about it.

Well, I would assume it's an Internet transaction but i don't really know.

Comment

More meaning how it's paid as in is it one person paying the bills or a load of people?

In a democracy, people have the same rights and the same duties. We all pay our taxes, for example, and that is where I'm coming from. Is the board run on a means of one person paying for everything, or everyone sharing the burden?

Rapscallion

Comment

Hmm, I suppose he pays for it, since I've never had to pay dues...and neither has anyone else to my knowledge. The site has actually gone through several owners...

Comment

Working...
                                X