This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    "It keeps saying 'incorrect username or password,' but I'm entering the right password!"
    Not the same guy, but--

If you say this, and I reset your password, and you get the "incorrect username or password" error while entering the temp password, it makes me question whether you were entering the right password.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Non-local keyboard? ... or configuration?

I wrote a Dvorak driver for a TRS-80 Model I for a friend, OUAT...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If the cable you're using for a laptop stops working, do not tell the IT folks that you gave them the "wrong cable for this computer," and demand that they "bring you the right cable for this computer!" (Both were the exact same make and model btw)

All it results in is the IT guy lecturing you on this LOUDLY across the office and everyone else secretly wondering why the hell you proudly refer to yourself as a shit-stirrer

Comment

If you're sitting waiting in the queue for as long as you were because of a network-wide issue with AppX, and there's a message up on the incoming voice line on our phone system advising you of said AppX issue...

...for the love of Pete, the first thing out of your mouth should NOT be a question about whether there's an issue with AppX.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Gettin' reeeeeal sick of lusers at The Client trying to get out of my handholding "here's how you can fix this easy yourself" instructions by pulling the "I'm not tech savvy" card.

Guess what, folks? You work at a government agency. It is Twenty Goddamn Nineteen. Everything is on computers now. GET TECH SAVVY.

There are plenty of resources available to help you out with this. No, not us at the service desk, we're too busy to play tutor for you. But let me say this, if my Mom, who was the least tech savvy person I knew, can learn enough to be able to do her own troubleshooting-- without taking a single class, by the way-- then there's no excuse for you.

I really shouldn't be hearing a bewildered "Uhhhh" when I ask someone to look for something on their taskbar.

</vent>

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              If you're sitting waiting in the queue for as long as you were because of a network-wide issue with AppX, and there's a message up on the incoming voice line on our phone system advising you of said AppX issue...

...for the love of Pete, the first thing out of your mouth should NOT be a question about whether there's an issue with AppX.
              A couple of times I've been on hold with support lines and the first thing out of my mouth when they picked up was "Well, your hold message just answered two of my questions, so I've only got one left..."

Once it was "I think your hold message was going to answer my question but you picked up before it finished."

Comment

Quoth Valentinian View Post
                A couple of times I've been on hold with support lines and the first thing out of my mouth when they picked up was "Well, your hold message just answered two of my questions, so I've only got one left..."

Once it was "I think your hold message was going to answer my question but you picked up before it finished."
                That's priceless! Unfortunately I'm usually only on hold with HMRC, and being repeatedly told that I can find answers on their website when I'm calling because the website wasn't any use is not fun.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  That's priceless! Unfortunately I'm usually only on hold with HMRC, and being repeatedly told that I can find answers on their website when I'm calling because the website wasn't any use is not fun.
                  You have now reminded me of the recorded hold message that informed me that some technological hand-wavery or other was responsible for the company's webpage being down for [period of time including that day], and went on to inform me that I could check their webpage for information about this and other outages instead of waiting on hold. The employee who eventually picked up did not understand what was wrong with that message when I told him about it.

Comment

Quoth Valentinian View Post
                    Our ISP normally has a very good message when I've called abour a fault, wouldn't get to them picking it up if you stay on the line as it's 2 minutes of upselling and phone trees.
                    Last edited by Naaman; 03-01-2019, 04:18 PM.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

• Yo. Morons. I was annoyed enough at having to submit a ticket in order to correct a single piece of information in my HR card, because I found out I had to after four emails back and forth. Ticket's been open a week and I've heard zilch from anyone. Don't you dare ask why I escalated.
                      Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                      They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• Hey, kids. When building an actual product, there are reasons that we do not directly link in libraries and source code from the internet at large. I know we've been over this, what with the whole Maven debacle, but that also means that if you want external libraries you have to go and grab them to put into our repositories!

And for Gord's sake, don't put stuff in the build files like "pick up the latest version of XXX package from the net". Seriously.

I have a build that's completely f***ed and has been for a full day now, and I really have no idea how the hell to fix it. Unless the people 12 time zones away decide to stay up awfully late to check on me.
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Oh, you've "upgraded my experience" on your cell phone app? Cool.

What's this, I need to sign in with a username and password or register an account? I never had to before.

Ohhhh-kayyyy, by "upgraded my experience" you really meant "required me to give up personal information for you to sell to advertisers, in order to continue using the app." Silly me, thinking it was actually my experience you were upgrading.

/removes app from phone
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• A customer, with the ironic last name of "Engineer", asked this:

"What is the difference between TCP and TCP Local interfaces?"

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

• Story from a friend of mine who works for the same company as my SO (webhosting):

Customer calls up, says there's issues with his website. Friend checks it out, discovers that website is actively compromised due to what turned out to be a PEBCAK error (basically malware was being uploaded onto said site but not by customer). Since website is compromised, customer's account is suspended (note that this is for hosting, any website builds etc. are not their responsibility) and customer is told to fix his stuff. Customer says his devs will fix it.

Customer over the next 30 days FAILS to get his stuff fixed and insists that his account be unsuspended. Account continues to remain suspended.

Customer eventually calls up, gets Other Tech Dude, Other Tech Dude spends an hour on the phone with customer telling him to clean his stuff. Customer doesn't like that, hangs up, calls back, says some very not nice things to Another Friend, who responds by telling him that he is now banned for breaching Terms of Service.

Customer is now threatening to move his hosting elsewhere, while failing to realise that just because the company *hosts* his website, he is still responsible for the actual content among other things.

Comment

Working...
                              X