This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for a letter of recommendation

I'm attempting to get into a certain college that used to be a ladies college. (English degree, maybe a minor or two...)

I emailed one teacher from my community college (before you say don't do this, the CC is 50 miles away, I can't exactly drive there) and he's apparently too busy with 5 classes between two colleges now.

So I was thinking of emailing my Survey of Economics teacher. Without sounding too stupid/ridiculous, how should I write it? I got a B in his class.

I have other classes that I made better grades in (got a B in his class), but I got on with him a little better, I think, than some of the others.
    Last edited by Tama; 02-13-2012, 01:13 AM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

There's nothing wrong with emailing your teacher. My former students do this all the time.

"Dear Former Economics Teacher,

My name is Tama, and I was a student in your Economics class in 20XX. I hope you remember me. I really enjoyed your class and learned a lot from you during that time.

I've decided to move on to finish a four year degree, and I am applying for entry to Former Women's College, and would like to ask you to write a letter of recommendation for me.

If you would have the time to do this, I would be very grateful. The mailing information is as follows:

(insert info here).

I hope you are doing well with your current classes of students. If you could let me know if you can write this letter for me, I'd be very appreciative. If you like, I can send you some pre-addressed and stamped envelopes.

Sincerely,

Tama"

Always offer to include the envelopes. Budgets are cutting into mailing supplies and postage for community colleges. Also, you are taking some of the work off the professor by sending her the envelopes. I know that's a big help to me when students ask me to write letters.

Writing letters of recommendation is part of a college professor's job. She won't be offended by your simply asking; though she may politely refuse if she doesn't remember you, or if she is too overwhelmed with other work.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Would it be bad manners to ask him to email the letter? The admissions office of the college gave me their head's email address and said I could have the teacher send it there.

If so, I'll be more than happy to send him an envelope.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
      X