This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shalom View Post
    I just saw in LawDog's blog a link to a video showing how to convert a shotgun shell into a .70 slug. Basically the shell is modified so the whole business goes flying out the barrel in one piece, rather than bursting and spraying shot like it's supposed to. Don't blame me if you break your gun trying this, though... http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2012/02/ringers.html
    Um. Isn't it just easier to get bean bag rounds?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      Why convert? They sell deer slugs already for most sizes of shotgun. You may even be able to get combat slugs for shotguns, depending on local gun laws.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
        Why convert? They sell deer slugs already for most sizes of shotgun. You may even be able to get combat slugs for shotguns, depending on local gun laws.
        I was about to say. Unless the shot is cheaper than the slug, why bother going to the trouble?

...I'm tempted to write to MythBusters and ask how dangerous modifying shot like that is for the shotgun.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My dad says not to replace the shot with flour... Especially for a pep rally in a gymnasium....

Praise bog the windows were already open.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            My dad says not to replace the shot with flour... Especially for a pep rally in a gymnasium....

Praise bog the windows were already open.
            Lemme guess; Particulate ignition fireball set the mascot on fire?

Comment

Quoth Scorpodael View Post
              Lemme guess; Particulate ignition fireball set the mascot on fire?
              Nope. Wadding hit vile portrayer of the school to the south (UofU) in the leg, causing him to emit one final "WHoooop!" and pull the curtains down.

Dad always did aim true...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                I was about to say. Unless the shot is cheaper than the slug, why bother going to the trouble?
                That's exactly it; slugs are $1 each, shells are 25c. Plus, there were times and jurisdictions where you couldn't get slugs. The article talks about early WWII-era England.

Or maybe you were out for ducks and didn't happen to have any slugs on you, and saw a deer...

...I'm tempted to write to MythBusters and ask how dangerous modifying shot like that is for the shotgun.
                If you look at the comments on that video, there are whole arguments about this. Consensus is, if it's safe for a slug, it's safe for a ringer, but don't try firing it through a full choke.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  . The article talks about early WWII-era England.
                  An aside, speaking of shotguns and warfare. There's an interesting story that Germany tried to get shotguns banned for warfare.

It seems that when the U.S. got involved in the European front in WWI, a number of GIs brought their hunting shotguns with them. Not only did someone figure out that shooting down incoming thrown grenades was alot like skeet-shooting, or hunting pheasant, but they also became quick favorites for trench fighting (along with the entrenching tool/mini-shovel). Much like the Pope and crossbows centuries earlier, they felt shotguns were just too horrible a weapon to use in war. From what I can tell, the German call for banning shotguns was basically ignored.
                  Last edited by Geek King; 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

skeet shooting?

i take it, the tactic worked as defense against grenades?

Comment

An aside, speaking of shotguns and warfare. There's an interesting story that Germany tried to get shotguns banned for warfare.
                      I have always heard that the deadliest gun in the old west was the shotgun.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

skeet shooting?

i take it, the tactic worked as defense against grenades?
                        Yup. Apparently buckshot has enough momentum to overcome a thrown grenade, and cause it to drop well short of the trench line. Some GIs claimed to have seen them knock grenades back into the German trenches, but the quick math in my head says that was likely a bit of embellishment
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Yup. Apparently buckshot has enough momentum to overcome a thrown grenade, and cause it to drop well short of the trench line. Some GIs claimed to have seen them knock grenades back into the German trenches, but the quick math in my head says that was likely a bit of embellishment
                          We should get Mythbusters on the case!
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                          X