This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haystack needle

SC: I need to know if a deposit went into my account for $500 in July.
    ME: Okay, let me look.
    Me: It should have been for $500? I am not seeing it.
    SC: They should total around $500.
    ME: Oh, some deposits should total that, okay? It may take me a second here.
    ME: They were for July only?
    SC: Yes July.
    ME: Where are they from?
    SC: I don't know, it's for a race cart entry that I had to cancel. Should be in there for July.
    ME: Hmmm, well I am not seeing them so I will give you a print out and maybe you can see what I am not seeing.

Summary: I have deposits from somewhere that may or may not total $500 in July sometime. Find it for me.

I have to find a needle in a haystack for people A LOT. They often have no idea why or how something happened or will happen, or who it happened to or how. I mean, you name the combo.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
    Summary: I have deposits from somewhere that may or may not total $500 in July sometime. Find it for me.
    *cough* OnlineBanking! *cough*cough* AccountSummary! *cough* AllDeposits *cough*cough* DateFilter *cough*

Oh, excuse me. That was quite the coughing fit, there. Perhaps I should GO ONLINE and DO MY OWN RESEARCH to make sure it's nothing serious.

I made an Excel spreadsheet that handles my finances for me. All I have to do is put numbers and dates in, and it does the math, so I know what my account balances will be after checks and recurring payments process rather than relying on the bank to tell me what the balances currently are. It even does 12-month forecasts for me. If I miss something, I just compare my spreadsheet to my transaction history on my bank's website. I know not everyone will want to do the spreadsheet kind of thing, but how hard is it really to log in and look up their own transactions?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

How dare you suggest a customer do any of the research themselves! Don't you know that's what the telepathic automatronic wage slaves behind the counter are for?
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
        How dare you suggest a customer do any of the research themselves! Don't you know that's what the telepathic automatronic wage slaves behind the counter are for?
        Amazing how some folks will blindly trust others w/their money.

Me, OTOH, would be either on the laptop checking my account or the mobile app on my phone to see where that big a deposit was the day I expected it into the account.

Considering that every paycheck and Social Security check goes for either food, rent, utilities, car insurance or to cover that rare purchase I make online (and that's usually for something needed for the house or for me) I'm going to find out where it is.

Example: we closed out our old account back in May and opened new accounts (checking and savings.) I went online the next day w/Social Security and updated the information for my Mom's monthly check (she has direct deposit into our joint account on the 3rd) and it only gave me the options to choose July or August (I selected July thinking the checks were given out a month ahead and that would actually be the June deposit) then had Mom call to update the information for my brother's Social Security check (which comes in her name, as representative payee for him, into our account - also on the 3rd.) She called that same evening, gave the information and all was well.

Flash forward to June 3 - only one deposit made it to the bank account - my brother's. I checked right after I got up and went outside w/my coffee and my phone and checked via mobile. Told Mom when she got up that hers wasn't there and we need to go to the bank that afternoon when I finished w/work.

Went to the bank after work and we both went inside and spoke w/the same lady who helped us the previous month w/closing and setting up accounts (she's really awesome, BTW) and she checked into the account to see. Then she pulled up the old account (which had been closed) to see if anything was pending. Sure enough, the check was trying to post to the old account.

CSR had to call IT and request a support ticket and explained what was going on and that the deposit needed to be rerouted to the open account. Call took less than 5 minutes and we were given a date of the 5th for the check to appear in our current account (2 days from then.) Also found out that i was a good thing we came in to see what was going on - otherwise the deposit would have been sent back to Social Security after another 24 hours, which would have resulted in MAJOR delay getting Mom's check to her that month.

You better believe we're all over what's going on w/our acounts - our life depends on it as to whether or not we get our bills paid on time or we have food in our house for us and the furbabies.

All I can say to these folks who are lazy like that is that it must be so nice to not have to worry about whether you have money in the bank to pay bills and eat. I really envy that kind of laziness.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

This reminds me of a recent small purchase I made on FeeBay last week -- They took PayPal only, so I dredged up my old PP password and ran the payment through. It was supposed to draw from a debit card I have attached to it. Instead, PP attempted to run the payment through an old checking account that I had removed from PP in 2011 -- One of their "failure" emails even specified this! O_O Fortunately, they then immediately ran it against my one and only still-connected account, which worked just fine.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I just love the customers who get upset at bank representatives when their spending overdrafts their accounts. "Why weren't you watching my account and call me when I went over?!", or "Why did you let me overdraft when you saw I didn't have the money?!"

I so feel like responding to them, "If we had to have a single employee monitoring every single transaction on every single customer's account, and calling them if they went over, we'd either have to shut down our call centers, or hire double to triple the people, and charge higher fees. ", but I'm afraid such logic would go over their heads.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              This reminds me of a recent small purchase I made on FeeBay last week -- They took PayPal only, so I dredged up my old PP password and ran the payment through. It was supposed to draw from a debit card I have attached to it. Instead, PP attempted to run the payment through an old checking account that I had removed from PP in 2011 -- One of their "failure" emails even specified this! O_O Fortunately, they then immediately ran it against my one and only still-connected account, which worked just fine.
              I'll keep that in mind for my next FeeBay purchase . . . I recently updated my Paypal account with the new account and debit card information and deleted the outdated.

Hopefully I won't have any screw ups. Only way to know for sure is to make a purchase.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Erinesque View Post
                I just love the customers who get upset at bank representatives when their spending overdrafts their accounts.
                That seems to be a recurring theme here unfortuntely
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Erinesque View Post
                  I just love the customers who get upset at bank representatives when their spending overdrafts their accounts. "Why weren't you watching my account and call me when I went over?!", or "Why did you let me overdraft when you saw I didn't have the money?!"
                  The thing is that a lot of banks will allow you to set up balance alerts where they will send out an automated email or text if your balance drops below a certain amount (also if you have any transactions over a certain threshold). Takes only a few minutes to set up. But of course, that requires common sense and effort.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                  X