This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guest lied and I got fired

I'm out of a job at Elongated Hexagon Inn.

Why? Because a guest lied, although the manager was kind enough to point out that she would have fired me anyway.

When I got there tonight, the manager's car was parked out front which is never a good sign. When I got to the back, she was waiting in the hotel owner's office and asked me to come in. I did and got to hear all about the lie.

It seems that a guest on the night of the 12th called up today to tell the manager that around 5:45AM that morning she was leaving, she saw a guy matching my description in the breakfast area handling the pastries barehanded. Also, when she asked that guy when the breakfast meats would be ready, that guy told her that they would be ready when they were ready.

He was very rude.

I'm curious as to who this guy might be though, because it sure as fuck wasn't me. I'm done with the breakfast around 5:15 or 5:20 most mornings. I start preparing it at 4:10, and after I get the waffle and oatmeal toppings squared away, the pastries are the second thing I do, so I'm working on them around 4:20 or so. It also goes without saying that I do not handle food barehanded. That's nastier for me than it would be for the guests.

But... when I pointed this out, the manager first said that the guest may have been mistaken about the time. Then her demeanor changed and she said that she had hoped to do this cleanly, but if I was going to fight it, I was forcing her to tell me the rest of the story. It seems she'd been planning on firing me anyway because of mistakes I've made on the forms for the night audit in the year I've been working there. She said she was planning on firing me for calling the other auditors every week (although that's not true), and she said that she has the text messages to one of the assistant managers to prove it.

Stupid me for thinking I could ask a manager when I had a question about how to do my job.

So here I am with only one part-time job that I work a measly three hours a week, no savings, and no idea what to do. I don't imagine that sleep will come easily for the next several days. On the other hand, as shocked as I am, it did feel good to come home, get my uniform clothes and go back to toss them on the desk, ask for a receipt for everything there, and then tell the guy they called in to work for me, "Watch your back. If they did it to me, they'll do it to you." I'm glad to be clear of the stench of that place. Not so glad to worry about how my bills are going to get paid now.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 07-18-2015, 05:26 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

That is sooooo unfair! I've only been fired from hotel once and the manager was a biotch from hell but she was married to the GM so it was my word against hers. Long story short she kept changing the schedule and fired me when I thought I had the day off. Gets me all worked up.
    IDC about anything else, except being treat unfairly. Good riddance, as they say, but sorry for you that is out of a job.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

You know, that story sounds highly suspicious to me. It sounds like your manager was looking for a reason to sack you, and hit on this "complaint" from a "guest" to back up what she wanted to do anyway. Like a typical manager, she has no idea what time of day you actually do a task, nor how long it takes to do the task.

It seems she'd been planning on firing me anyway because of mistakes I've made on the forms for the night audit in the year I've been working there
      So this has been a problem for the past YEAR and she's just now getting around to telling you it's a problem? She's a liar as well as an asshole.

I'm sorry you lost your job since it makes life more difficult. I hope you get something better soon. I just wish managers would be honest instead of making stuff up.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Man, that sucks *gives hugs and cookies*

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        You know, that story sounds highly suspicious to me. It sounds like your manager was looking for a reason to sack you
        Yes, I'm crying smelly fish on this one too. It would be interesting to see how quickly you are replaced, and who by - and what kind of relationship they have with the manager. Usually when things like this happen, it's because the job is wanted for one of their relatives / cronies / friends with benefits etc.

Cynical? Moi?
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

In the state of Denmark, there is the odour of decay....
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ya, if she claimed to have fired you because of mistakes doing your job, you can possibly pretty much hang her out to dry with the labor board when you file for unemployment. Here in the U.S., the law says an employer has to show they've given a former employee an opportunity to correct such mistakes BEFORE they get fired over them. And your former boss HAS no such paper trail if this is the first you'd ever heard of it.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

That was my thought, too, Kittish. If the OP's boss had such an issue with them needing help, why wasn't it brought up before? Was help offered to curb the asking of questions before? If not, then yes, the unemployment hearing could get rather interesting. Best of luck to you, Antisocial_Worker!
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Kittish - that may depend on one thing -- did the place put this rationale in writing? If not, and OP is in an At-Will state, they can just backtrack and claim "Termination without Cause." That being said, it could be worth pursuing.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Kittish - that may depend on one thing -- did the place put this rationale in writing? If not, and OP is in an At-Will state, they can just backtrack and claim "Termination without Cause." That being said, it could be worth pursuing.
                  Termination without Cause guarantees payout of unemployment. The only ones that don't get unemployment are employees fired with cause (which requires considerable documentation from the employer), the employee terminating the employment, or the employee having worked for the company less than 6 months (that number could be off, but there is a minimum time of employment). So, either way, yes, worth pursuing.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    There's a real incentive to the business to trump up reasons to fire somebody, as with no-fault firings, the subsequent payout in unemployment benefits is charged back to the employer over the next couple of years. (If fired "for cause", no unemployment payout is due.)

Comment

That's total shit. You should be able to get unemployment. Hopefully you won't be out of work too long.

Any chance of picking up more hours at the other job?
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My point was that the business could easily appeal to the Unemployment people and LIE about the reason for termination to try and get out of paying; if they do so, that could create an actionable issue with the Labor Board. It happened to me on two of my most recent jobs. The problem is, what they told me (in writing) differed significantly from that they told the UE office, so I was able to get the appeal overturned pretty easily.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That is so ridiculous. Handling of the pastries barehanded and asking questions aren't fireable offenses, imo. At the most it warrants a coaching or write up or something. I dont like how she thought you were suppose to just accept you were getting fired over the pastries thing.

Comment

That sounds like a bunch of crap. I wonder if the person they hire to replace you will somehow be related to the manager...

Sorry that happened. I hope you find something else soon!
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth minkysmom View Post
                              That is so ridiculous. Handling of the pastries barehanded and asking questions aren't fireable offenses, imo. At the most it warrants a coaching or write up or something. I dont like how she thought you were suppose to just accept you were getting fired over the pastries thing.
                              The pastries thing was a load of shit and once I called her on it, that was when it came to light that she wanted me gone anyway and was planning to fire me all along, no matter what. I was there a year, and apparently by the time a year passes you are never supposed to make mistakes, ask for help, or ask questions.

That's really what it boils down to. As for the goddamn breakfast, that just pisses me off all that much more. If you have enough of an IQ to walk erect, you know not to handle food for public consumption barehanded.
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
                              X