This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran out of gas

So, had my big moving sale last weekend, reported on some suck from that. But I still have a fair amount of stuff. The stuff I know won't move I took to Goodwill a few days ago.

I have a bunch of other stuff I think I can sell. I've been putting it on Offerup. I've been having the same kinds of issues I sometimes have with Craigslist; buyers who fail to follow up mostly.

This one was quite irritating.

So I'm selling a cordless phone set that includes an answering machine and four hand sets. One of the recharging stations is missing, have no idea where it went. I'm only asking $20 for it, to get it to move (I think I paid $70 retail for it).

I've had quite a bit of interest, but the people who wanted it either haven't followed through with a plan to meet, or are lowballing me on price. But this guy. . . I'm not sure if he's just thoughtless or trying to scam me.

So he tells me he drives through my area on his way to work, but he works an odd night shift that starts at 1am. I have church in the morning. So the guy offers to meet this afternoon and suggests we meet at a Foode de Leone near my house.

I agree and head over. And wait. And wait. Finally I text the guy to see where he is. He calls me back and says he's at the Wally World about 10 more minutes down the road. he claims he thought this was where we agreed to meet.

Grr! It was YOUR idea to meet here and I have it in my texts. Whatever. I tell him to meet me where I"m at and he agrees. 15 minutes later he calls again to ask what I'm driving (which I had also texted him earlier).

Then he says, "Well, I have a bit of a problem. You see, I ran out of gas and had to stop and fill up."

Oh. Hell. No.

Me: That's a problem. We already agreed on a price and I'm not inclined to give you a discount after I've been waiting here for half an hour. There's a ATM right here, can't you just get some cash

Guy: I forgot my debit card.

So we have some back and forth. He agrees to meet me tomorrow morning before I go to church.

We'll see if he shows up tomorrow. But if someone offers me full price this evening, I'm taking it.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Honestly, if he doesn't show and you're willing to ship, I'd take you up on that phone.

But he's a doofus. Or trying to scam, just poorly.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

You know, honestly, at that point waiting around for as long as you had and the cat and mouse wouldn't be worth the $20 to me. I'd donate the phone set just to make myself feel better at that point. @_@
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

My scammer alarm is going off at max volume. I'm guessing he wants the thing for free. Or, and this is the scary part, he's trying to find a way to get you to meet him somewhere else, possibly his house, or some other place with fewer people around. Please take care!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          My scammer alarm is going off at max volume. I'm guessing he wants the thing for free. Or, and this is the scary part, he's trying to find a way to get you to meet him somewhere else, possibly his house, or some other place with fewer people around. Please take care!
          We're meeting in a public place. I'm not real worried about a phone, and if he were to try to simply take it, I would let him. And I have his cell phone number, so I should be able to track him down if he pulls something.

Kheldarson; if the deal falls through I'll PM you and we'll set something up
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yup. Guy didn't show. Fucker.

Comment

Girl, never go out of your way for buyers on Cl or any other bargain site. They're already getting a deal: if they can't be bothered to follow the directions they agreed to, eff 'em. I know that Foode de Leone, and it has one of those big metal charity donation bins outside. Chuck it in.

By the way, did my swords sell?
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                Girl, never go out of your way for buyers on Cl or any other bargain site. They're already getting a deal: if they can't be bothered to follow the directions they agreed to, eff 'em. I know that Foode de Leone, and it has one of those big metal charity donation bins outside. Chuck it in.

Completely off-topic, but most of those big donation bins that have been springing up in strip mall parking lots everywhere lately are not actually charitable. State laws vary as to if they have to explicitly state this on the bin or not. There do exist some actual charitable bins, but they aren't as common.

Comment

Yeah, I know. Most are going to for-profit thrift stores, especially around where Sapphire Silk lives.

But the IRS has made it so difficult to claim a deduction for donated goods and you can't get a receipt for dumping stuff in a bin anyway, I just give stuff to which ever group strikes my fancy at the moment and don't bother with deductions.
                  Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post

Normally I would have said to hell with it the first night. But I have to go two months without a paycheck until I get my first check from the new job. So I need every penny.

I shouldn't have gone out this morning. I was really just hoping the guy would follow through. Shame on me I guess. I tend to want to believe people are good at heart.

No luck on the swords. One guy offered me 10 for the set, I told him hell no.

Comment

Swords? What kind of swords?

Can you perhaps post pictures or maybe PM me with some details, please?
                      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                        Swords? What kind of swords?

Can you perhaps post pictures or maybe PM me with some details, please?
                        I'll PM you.

Comment

"You hawked a Hattori Hanzo sword?"

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                            "You hawked a Hattori Hanzo sword?"
                            Got me 200 dollars for it.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                              Got me 200 dollars for it.
                              It was priceless.

Comment

Working...
                              X