This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
    I also have a couple of Geiger counters, and it can be rather unsettling to watch the meter pointer rise when I put its sensor probe near them... even so, they're apparently fairly safe unless you lick the markings, or something like that.
    Lucky! I want a Geiger counter just because. One of my instructors at school had a collection of radioactive dinnerware. Along with some other odds and ends. Officially, she had them to help us learn how to use and read the GM meter. But she just likes to collect that stuff.

Quoth stitchwitch View Post
    Cons also tend to attract "Fantasy Nerds" who would love those same kind of patterns. And Fen (plural of fan) of the fantasy verity tend to be costumers, and as such know how much effort goes into making things by hand and would never cheapen a fine work by complaining about the price.
    Here locally there is a booth that sells ren faire type apparel and some steampunk stuff. They usually do very well. I can't afford anything they sell, though.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
      Lucky! I want a Geiger counter just because. One of my instructors at school had a collection of radioactive dinnerware. Along with some other odds and ends. Officially, she had them to help us learn how to use and read the GM meter. But she just likes to collect that stuff.
      Vintage CD-V700 Geiger counters (as seen in the link I posted) are still fairly common. You might have to deal with battery corrosion, but most of the parts are still available. Don't bother with the larger 'ion chamber'-type survey meters (CD-V710/715/717/etc.), as they are far too insensitive for this purpose. From what I've been told, if you see the meter pointer move on one of those, it pretty much means you should be dead.
      -Adam
      Goofy music!
      Old tech junk!

Comment

Ahhh, "chemicals". As a collector of vintage tech junk stuff, I actually have a few devices which have glow-in-the-dark markings done the old-fashioned way, i.e. radium.
        I have a few small pieces of Trinitite on my desk in a small box. Most of them I purchased, but one piece I found stuck in my boot tread a few days after visiting the site (whoops ...at least I know it's authentic).

I'm pretty sure my grandmother had some of that radioactive dinnerware, and who knows what else was lurking in the basement.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
          I honestly think she was under the impression that cotton grows in different colors and then people weave it into patterns like rugs. My aunt said "tye-dye sheep".

You can sort of do it .... they have normal cream colored wool, then you have a sort of grey colored sheep, then you can have brown wool [black sheep that were exposed to lots of sunlight] and black sheep [tey wear coats to keep the sun off the wool] so you can sort of make a tweedy sort of fabric with multiple colored wools.
          Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          I've made soap... With sodium hydroxide, the horror! Anyways, I totally lean towards in the granola eating, tree-hugging direction, but I at least try to be informed. I'm not afraid of chemicals. And even without doing any research, I know that not all things that glow are evil, what about those scary fish?
          Wonder if she would like soap better if you distilled the lye from wood ash, and combined it with sheep fat really old school better than the lab pure versions =)
          Ahhh, "chemicals". As a collector of vintage tech junk stuff, I actually have a few devices which have glow-in-the-dark markings done the old-fashioned way, i.e. radium. For example, this clock, and these radios. I also have a couple of Geiger counters, and it can be rather unsettling to watch the meter pointer rise when I put its sensor probe near them... even so, they're apparently fairly safe unless you lick the markings, or something like that.

-Adam
          We have a ANPDR27 geiger counter, and some self read dosimetry [and reset tool] and a Scott airpack, and a couple parachutes [what, we have some odd hobbies ] but I also used to be a rad whore and Rob was a Fast Attack submariner and went to nuke school before it was the 'kinder and gentler' style [he washed out with pleural pneumonia and opted to go into MM [nuke] instead of recycling] so we oddly enough have a fair amount of training in common. [I can probably recite the CFRs in my sleep]

Quoth Seshat View Post
          I have a sudden need to grow hydroponic cotton, with each row being supplied with a different dye in the water. Just to see if that works the way I hope it would.

Failing that, I shall get in touch with an old friend who happens to be a genetic botanist (or botanic geneticist?), and challenge her to put saffron's colour genes into cotton bolls.
          I would absolutely love that. I wonder of the nut would go for naturally dyed fabrics made with herbs and foodstuffs [hey, saffron and onion skins both make very nice yellows ... and are natural. Mordanting with salt, iron and vinegar is about the most chemicallly thing there.]
          Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
          I have a few things with a count, one is an anasazi bowl that had one of the colors used be a uranium containing mineral [I didn't loot it, my Dad did when he was about 8 years old back in 1930 when looting ruins was still legal and commonly done.] I don't let people handle it anyhow

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          I have a few small pieces of Trinitite on my desk in a small box. Most of them I purchased, but one piece I found stuck in my boot tread a few days after visiting the site (whoops ...at least I know it's authentic).

I'm pretty sure my grandmother had some of that radioactive dinnerware, and who knows what else was lurking in the basement.
          I know a dealer that has a whole set of uranium glass dinnerware for sale ... it sort of flipped me out when I saw it, but the case he keeps it in is isolated from the rest of the store by about 10 feet but uit makes a great display when one knows what it is. It is also priced way out of my league...
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            I might have suddenly found a need for Doctor Who potholders. Send me a pm when you have some ready to sell, please. If it happens before Christmas, it will be such a bonus.
            Me, too! Me, too!
            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              I have a sudden need to grow hydroponic cotton, with each row being supplied with a different dye in the water. Just to see if that works the way I hope it would.

Failing that, I shall get in touch with an old friend who happens to be a genetic botanist (or botanic geneticist?), and challenge her to put saffron's colour genes into cotton bolls.
              I would fund this!
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Working...
              X