Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING NEWS: Explosions at Boston Marathon!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was over in Somerville this morning; I was considering walking back (get off the Red Line at Charles, walk down through the Garden and Newbury St)...so glad I didn't do so as I probably would have ended up very close to where it happened when it happened.

Now BPD is having police in every town check along the whole route to make sure there's nothing else around. Apparently they do have someone on surveillance putting a backpack into a trash can...the irony is that I think those were the same trash cans touted to be 'bombproof' when they were installed.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I just remembered a quote that has helped resolved my emotional issues, so I'm back to being as mentally stable as I normally am (which isn't saying much ).

"It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart."

~Anne Frank
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."
        https://www.facebook.com/pattonoswal...51440800582655

Comment

Looking at the pictures reminded me of something I said once: "The only difference between a hero and a coward is a hero runs the wrong way when they get scared, then deals with it." There sure are a lot of people you see running towards the danger in those pictures, instead of away.

However, my biggest thought of the night is that people should feel for the victims, thank those who braved danger to help...and give a shining, giant middle finger to every politician who tries to capitalize on this tomorrow. And you know there will be many of them. I don't hold high hopes that people will lash out against the people who try to pass "panic measures" that never could have made it through before, but the cynic in me says this will be nothing but a talking point for people to score political points. So, without further ado:

My thoughts to the victims, my thanks to the helpers. My dearest hatred for the vultures.
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

This literally moved me to tears. Despite the tragedy, the inherent good in people is shining through.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/b...ts-of-kindness
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I saw those pictures. I didn't even realize I was crying. It was truly a tragic day yesterday... The most concerning thing to me was that the marathon clock said 4:09, which is about the average time to finish a race like that. Whoever set that off wanted the most people to be there at once.... My heart goes out to the victims and their families...
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                Whoever set that off wanted the most people to be there at once....
                The bombs went up the race line and down to a starbucks at the end of the cool down tunnel. I think they were trying for the large pack.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  The bombs went up the race line and down to a starbucks at the end of the cool down tunnel. I think they were trying for the large pack.
                  What a world we live in, honestly...
                  Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I'm hearing conflicting accounts on this now though...supposedly, no more bombs were found (ala mis-reporting from the media), but several suspicious packages (ie, unattended items) were found, and some even detonated to be safe. I'm trying to find the news story again where it said that, but can't remember which site I saw it on...
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                      I'm hearing conflicting accounts on this now though...supposedly, no more bombs were found (ala mis-reporting from the media), but several suspicious packages (ie, unattended items) were found, and some even detonated to be safe. I'm trying to find the news story again where it said that, but can't remember which site I saw it on...
                      AdelaideNow is also saying the same thing.

Along with claims that apparently someone tried to send the president ricin.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Ricin was sent through the Washington PD&C and was sent to Sen Wicken (R) Miss.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          Ricin was sent through the Washington PD&C and was sent to Sen Wicken (R) Miss.
                          That would be it.

Initially reports all kept saying "president" instead of senator.

I swear that my source needs to wake up.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

There are reports of some very good things happening.

Boston College is going to walk the last five miles of the course, saying that we "decide when the marathon is over."

Many cities are doing a "Run for Boston" event.

The Yankees played Sweet Caroline at last night's game, and has a banner up on the Stadium.

BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) had a projection on their building saying NY (loves) B.

I'm always amazed at the outpouring of love after a tragedy. It makes me smile, even through the tears.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              Initially reports all kept saying "president" instead of senator.
                              They woke up; a second letter:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/politi...ile-homepage-t

Comment

All my friends are safe. One of them was actually shadowing the communication op's person and saw how the route communications quickly changed from "we need a medi transport to medical station 17" to "If people are looking for others.. move to these frequencies, if you need medical go to these frequencies.. if you need police.. these frequencies".

Comment

Working...
                                X