This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasty Potato Soup

Made this last night for dinner. Came out extremely tasty.

Dice about a cup of bacon, toss it into a preheated soup pot on medium heat.
    Cut 2 boneless pork chops into 1/2 inch cubes. Toss into the pot with the bacon. Stir occasionally.

Add about 4 cups of chicken broth (two cans if you cheat like I do)
    Cut 6-8 potatoes into cubes, toss into the pot. I use russet, can probably use just about any type of potato. The chicken broth should just barely or even not quite completely cover the potatoes. Peeling the potatoes is optional. I just gave em a good scrub and left the skin on.

Add 1-2 teaspoons of celery flakes, 2 tablespoons of diced garlic, about half a teaspoon of onion powder and fresh ground pepper to taste (I probably added about a teaspoon).

Stir.

Cover, and let it come to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer til the potatoes are nice and tender. Use a potato masher if you want to partly mash some of the potatoes.

Add about a cup of milk and a cup of sour cream, mix well. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded romano cheese and about the same amount of shredded parmesan cheese. Cover, and let it heat for a half hour or so, stirring occasionally.

Ladle into a bowl. Enjoy.

Makes about 4 servings, depending on how many potatoes you use and what size your bowls are.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

That sounds really good, I made a very similar soup last week except I made mine vegetarian...no bacon or pork and added fresh celery, carrot, and onion and used a handful of shredded cheddar cheese instead of sour cream. I was thinking of topping it with bacon but I really like the idea of adding pork chops to it too.

Comment

How big are those cans of chicken broth, like 20oz or so? Sounds really yummy and the boneless pork chops is a neat little twist.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
        How big are those cans of chicken broth, like 20oz or so? Sounds really yummy and the boneless pork chops is a neat little twist.
        Yep, 20 oz cans. I keep cans of chicken and beef broth in the pantry because it's useful for lots of cooking, and I'm too lazy to make my own.

The pork chops add considerable protein without overloading it with fat like using, say, a pound of bacon would. Using a lot less bacon means there's a lot less bacon grease, and so, no real need to drain it off, which helps boost the bacon flavor in the soup.

Partially mashing the potatoes, adding cheese and the sour cream all help thicken the soup without adding flour, so if you're trying to stay away from wheat, this is a good base recipe to play with. If you want a thicker soup, use less chicken stock.

The amounts of things given in my recipe are approximate, as I didn't actually measure anything (unless you count opening and pouring in two cans of broth as measuring). Feel extremely free to add to, subtract from, or otherwise modify the recipe in any fashion that suits you. *grin*
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

That does sound pretty tasty. Mishi's vegetarian version sounds good too. I made potato soup for the first time not too long ago. I might do a few things differently next time, but it didn't turn out bad for a first attempt.
          Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Making your own stock is pretty easy too. Simply use about a pound each of celery, onion, and carrot in a large stock pot (simply chop into large pieces). Add garlic and parsley or bay leaf or both if you prefer. Cover the vegetables with water (not much more than it takes to completely submerge them). Bring to a boil and slightly reduce heat. Add salt and pepper to your preference, other spices can work too, so do other herbs, feel free to add mushroom or other ingredients too. Once the stock turns the proper color, strain the vegetables out and then strain the stock again through a fine strainer(or refrigerate overnight and skim off the fat that forms on the top.) To make beef or chicken or pork stock, simply add fresh chicken or beef or pork scraps and bones (chicken carcass works well, so do bones from a pork chop or steak that have been removed prior to cooking, as long as you leave a little meat.)

Comment

sounds good
              "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Thanks, Barracuda. I make chicken stock every time I cook a whole chicken, but I've never made my own vegetable stock. I'll have to try that sometime.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
                X