This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't you replace it?

Funny story that just happened an hour ago. I work at a college computer store, we're an Apple reseller and also sell Dells and a few other goodies, such as iPods.

A student walks in, and tells me that her iPod is broken. She starts digging through her purse and pulls out some papers, while explaining that there's a warranty on it. Ok, no problem, some people buy AppleCare for it, but they'd have to check with Apple.

I look at the papers, and it's some sort of warranty/insurance through American Express, which we don't even take. I look closer, and I see that the iPod was bought through Comp USA! At this point, she says that she wants the iPod replaced, because it's under this guarentee. I let her know that we don't service iPods here, and she would have to talk to Apple. "That's ok, I want it replaced, not fixed," she replies.

"I can sell you a new one, but I can't replace it."

"Why not, you sell iPods, can't you just replace it?"

"We're not Comp USA, you'd have to go talk to them or Amex."

"But it's under warranty!"

"Through Amex, and you bought it from Comp USA. We couldn't replace it anyway because you didn't buy it from us. We're not Comp USA."

She and I went back and forth for a few more moments, and she finally understood that 1) we're not Comp USA. 2) She bought the iPod through Comp USA 3) she had the warranty through AmEx (which we don't take anyway) and 4) she'd have to talk to Amex/Comp USA to get it repaired.

Sue and I lawled a bit after she left. She wasn't rude or anything, just clueless.
    Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
    "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
    "The queue is..."

Comp USA went out of business.... so she'd have to take it somewhere else...
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

She should take it to walmart and claim she bought it there and it broke seconds later. They'll totally replace it.
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        Comp USA went out of business.... so she'd have to take it somewhere else...
        Ummmm....no it didn't. http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/...ores/index.asp
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Comp USA was bought by some company and they shut down the company all over the nation... only to reopen some? They got rid of all the ones in Houston that I know of; the buildings are now being used as bookstores and I know of one that got demolished.

So.. 103 stores shut down. 15 reopened. For what reason?
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Comp USA was bought by some company and they shut down the company all over the nation... only to reopen some? They got rid of all the ones in Houston that I know of; the buildings are now being used as bookstores and I know of one that got demolished.

Good question. We did have a CompUSA store here in Greensboro, but it was shut down recently.

I just checked on their website and ran my zip code through the store locator. The two nearest stores are both former TigerDirect stores - one in Raleigh, the other in Chapel Hill.

I don't understand the corporate logic at times either.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

15 reopened... no clue. 103 shut down... high prices, not the most knowledgeable staff. (With apologies to ex-CUSA staff; this is based on my experiences.)

Comment

About CompUSA - the company was bought by Systemax at the last minute. Systemax owns the Tiger Direct stores and website, and produces the Ultra brand of computers/products.

This explains it a little more.

Actually went to their factory in Ohio for a tour.

Comment

amen sister! my brothers frineds lost ther jobs because of that, granted they got new ones but gah

Comment

Looks like they only re-opened some in mostly in Florida, Texas, and....Puerto Rico!? Oh, wait a minute, one's in El Paso, not too far from where I lived. That explains a lot. But what did Puerto Rico ever do to them?
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                    X