X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mechanics of stupidity

The title jerk
    This SC was not mine, but the customer of the poor new cashier who was next to me yesterday.

Now our cash lanes have locking gates, which means each side-by-side lane is split in two by the centre post of the gate. 99% of people know this and load their carts accordingly.
    That being large boxes standing up on the flatbed carts and not lying down.
    This man was the 1% who just doesn't get it.

He approached the lane with his girlfriend and says to the cashier, K, "Who are you going to call to move this?" meaning either his items (which HE loaded, improperly) or the metal gate that's bolted to the floor.

K: You can't get it through?
    SC: Well sure, I'll just change the mechanics of physics and shift it through a solid object.
    Me: *thinking* Did... did he just say what I think he... oh mother of crap what a tool.

I was ready to jump in with a nice, "You don't have to be such a prick, you know!" but thought better of it.

K (to me): Who can I call to help him with this?
    ME: Well you could call carts or Self Serve, but it will likely take them a long time to get here. (to customer) Your best bet is to just lift the smaller boxes off the big one, lift the big one and push your cart through. (back to K) If you can't get it though I'll just move it.

I wanted to make it clear the customer while still maintaining some politeness how simple the solution to his problem was.

SC: Well, I guess I'll just tear apart what I already loaded up and do it all over again then.
    ME: Or I can do it for you. *thinking* You big whining, sniveling baby.
    SC: Who the hell designed this store? This makes no sense. Don't worry, we'll just remove this metal gate here that shouldn't be here in the first place and we'll be all set.

His sarcasm continued for the entire transaction that K was completing calmly and very sweetly. This SC seemed to take pleasure in being rude to K, who would not have said anything in retaliation like I would have had he been my customer.

Eventually he moved the smaller boxes (all TWO of them) and lifted the larger box like I suggested and pushed the cart through.
    Oh, so hard!

What a douche.

No, we're closed
    Our store hours recently changed and we're closing at 9 instead of 10. Now because our catalogue is valid until July, complete with closing hours, we're only doing a "soft close", which means we lock the doors at 9 and gently try to usher people out for that time. People who are still in the store can still technically shop until 10, but customers not in the store are not allowed to enter after 9:00.

It's 9:10
    Man: Can I go back into the store?
    Me: *checks time* I'm sorry, no. We're closed so no one can go back in.
    Man: But my wife is in there.
    Me: *thinking* Ok I don't even know if you have a wife and just want in, but either way, I can't let you in. Sorry, if I let you back in I'll get in trouble.
    Man: Well I didn't know you were closed!
    Me: Now you do.

This man then went over to a coordinator to ask if he could go back in, and bitch that I didn't let him through.
    Guess what he was told?

That's right. "We're closed and no one is allowed back in the store."

Can I have one for free because I didn't know?
    Oh the plastic bags. The bane of my working existence.
    Even though people were informed of our 5cent bag policy almost a year ago and we started the policy eight months ago I still have to ask people if they would like to purchase any plastic bags.

Woman: I have to buy bags!?
    Me: Yes. They're 5cents.
    Woman: Well can I have some for free because I didn't know about the policy?
    Me: I'm sorry but anything with a price on it is merchandise and I can't give you free merchandise.
    Woman: But I didn't knooooooooooow!
    Woman: ...
    Me: ...
    Woman: So are you going to give me the bags or not?
    Me: Not. I will sell them to you but I cannot give them to you.
    Woman: Well maybe next time I'll just bring my own bags! How would you like that, hmm?
    Me: I would like that very much, actually.

Aaaaand she stormed off after that.

Quoth rerant View Post
    Woman: Well maybe next time I'll just bring my own bags! How would you like that, hmm?
    Me: I would like that very much, actually.

Aaaaand she stormed off after that.
    Yea lady, that's the effin' point.
    I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      Fantastic.
      I'm all for ignorance being an excuse for some things, but not nearly as much as other people think, apparently.

"I didn't know it was illegal to kill someone. Can you let me of just this once?"
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post

SC: Well, I guess I'll just tear apart what I already loaded up and do it all over again then.

Eventually he moved the smaller boxes (all TWO of them) and lifted the larger box like I suggested and pushed the cart through.
        Oh, so hard!

What a douche.
        What a stupid baby/EW/asshole. I took so much effort for him to move his precious boxes around to get them through. He's the kind of jerk that gets mad at round holes because he can't get a square peg through them! It's the hole's fault for being round-Wahhhh!!
        It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
          Fantastic.
          I'm all for ignorance being an excuse for some things, but not nearly as much as other people think, apparently.

"I didn't know it was illegal to kill someone. Can you let me of just this once?"
          Wait... do... do you think that'd work?

Because... well, I've got this list and...

How many of them so you think I could get through and still be able to use the excuse? Ten? Twenty? No, twenty is too many... maybe ten and a dozen maimings?

Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
            Could you imagine how many terrible customers we could get rid of by using this line of thought? "I'm sorry, Officer, I didn't know it was illegal to kill people."
            We've got a ton of members here.
            Note: I really am just joking. The thought popped into my head, and I had to get it out!
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
              What a stupid baby/EW/asshole. I took so much effort for him to move his precious boxes around to get them through.
              People like that will get pissed no matter what you do. Being the bastard I am, I'd step aside, and leave him to his own devices
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
              X