This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car accident, no passengers - time to sue for injuries

When I worked at Workers Comp for charitable company I got a call from two women that wanted to report injuries from a car accident they were in and have medical bills paid and paid for missed work.

I got all the details from them about the accident. The women were being driven to a site to be Bell Ringers for the holiday. They only worked a few days then just stopped showing up. The were only scheduled to work Dec 1st to Christmas, they only worked the 1st and 2nd.

The car accident they claimed to be in happened 4 years prior. They wanted WC payment from then till now.

Procedure on all claims is to call the local office and get their "side" of all claims.
    The Manager there said she remembers the car accident. The details: Van was parked on side of road, no one was in it, it was hit from behind lightly from a car parking from behind.
    She also remember that the two women had been driven to their site in a totally different van.
    I called back and told the women that the claim was denied.
    The threatened to sue and actually already had a lawyer on the case.

It always sickens me that people would sue a charitable company.
    Of course the suit was denied.
    Thank god for that manager for her good records.
    Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Sadly someone trying this doesn't shock me. When people become independent wealthy because they don't know coffee is hot it just gives people the idea that they can sue to get their way. Just like with abusive Sc's and spineless managers who bend policies.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      Sadly someone trying this doesn't shock me. When people become independent wealthy because they don't know coffee is hot it just gives people the idea that they can sue to get their way. Just like with abusive Sc's and spineless managers who bend policies.
      And there's always a lawyer out there to take the case, no matter the merits or ethical nature.
      I will never go to school!

Comment

Did they want "pain and suffering" too?

Sadly this happens more then people like to think...
        You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

Thank God the suit was denied. It's too bad the law doesn't make it easier to go after someone for malicious litigation when it's so blatantly obvious like that. We should be able to go after them for the same amount they came after the other party for.

Maybe some states already have this law, I dunno. If so, they're the smarter ones.
          Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Ugh. Reminds me of an accident my father had.

He was backing out of a driveway, and got hit by two little old ladies in a Cadillac. His beat-up '79 Volvo sedan didn't have a mark on it. The only damage to the Caddy was...

(wait for it)

..a tiny chip in one of the hubcaps.

Yep, that's right--the fucking hubcap. Since there was no damage to either car, we all went on our way. Imagine our surprise when a rather nasty letter arrives in the mail. Turns out those little old ladies were trying to sue us

At least it all came to nothing--they got busted for insurance fraud. Turns out that they had someone damage the car even more, and doctored up some fake insurance forms, and tried to take us for whatever we had. It came out later that they'd been trying to scam someone for years, and it was only a matter of time.

At least our insurance company went after them, and last I heard, they got hit with some *serious* fines, along with jail time for the idiot they hired to mess up the Caddy.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              insurance fraud
              One word:

FELONY!

You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                I find nothing shocking anymore.

And it's too bad that society's headed in the direction of suing everyone for the slightest thing.

"I bought a hammer, bashed myself in the face with it, and now I expect the hammer manufacturer to make me wealthy because the hammer didn't have a warning on it."
                Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

And we wonder why goods and services are becoming so expensive. Put me on the jury. See what you get.
                  If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                  --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                    S When people become independent wealthy because they don't know coffee is hot it just gives people the idea that they can sue to get their way.

Grrr I hate that this case is still being used as an example of frivolous lawsuits-the media as usual) did not give the whole story as all see this

Did you know the following aspects of the Stella vs. McDonald's case?

Stella was burned badly (some sources say six percent of her skin was burned, other sources say 16 percent was) and needed two years of treatment and rehabilitation, including skin grafts. McDonald's refused an offer to settle with her for $20,000 in medical costs.

While Stella was awarded $200,000 in compensatory damages, this amount was reduced by 20 percent (to $160,000) because the jury found her 20 percent at fault. Where did the rest of the $2.9 million figure in? She was awarded $2.7 million in punitive damages -- but the judge later reduced that amount to $480,000, or three times the "actual" damages that were awarded.

does that qualify as "independantly wealthy" to you?
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

it's crap like this that makes me wish the was some sort of law that said people are not allowed to sue for something that is either

a) common sense (I know not everyone has it, but for god's sake there's a free public education system, plus most of these people are older and should have common sense due to the fact that they've lived and experienced enough to have it)

b) an obvious attempt to make a quick buck
                      We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                        Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                        And there's always a lawyer out there to take the case, no matter the merits or ethical nature.
                        *sigh*

I dream of the day when people actually read up on the Stella case before pointing to it as the reason we need tort reform....

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A friendly request, and not directed at anyone in particular: I'd like to ask everyone to limit discussion to the OP or similar individual cases.

Sweeping statements about the ills of society and tort reform are best taken to Fratching.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

And then there's this gentleman;

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=510185

He not only runs over their dog, he is now suing them for damages the dog did to his car.
                            "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
                              And then there's this gentleman;

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=510185

He not only runs over their dog, he is now suing them for damages the dog did to his car.
                              I see claims like that on a regular basis in my work. It sucks when you're the one telling the owner that they not only lost their animal (I've had claims when a car hit dogs, hoses, cows, and even guinea fowl!) but they are responsible. Why? The animal was where it should not have been and was not kept under control. As a driver you have a responsibility to keep a proper lookout but an animal darting out in the road in front of you is not your fault.

People are held responsible for their property - if it be a dead tree you fail to cut down that falls and makes a hole in your neighbor's roof or an animal you didn't have restrained - or sad to say just managed to escape - you are responsible.

Comment

Working...
                              X