This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to plan on your part could cause an emergency

Well, really an inconvenience but maybe a larger problem for someone who doesn't have a car to go get supplies. I just received a text message--no email, no phone call--letting us know that they are turning off the water in our building for an hour or two to fix leaks. I have water stored but if someone didn't happen to have any left right now they might be in trouble. I'm thinking of people who don't have cars and can't always pick up supplies at short notice. I suppose it's not a huge deal but it's irritating that we are getting a text last minute. And this company is slightly obsessed with leaks. We occasionally but more frequently than I would think get text messages asking who in whatever building has a leaky faucet or leaky toilet or something like that. Why would somebody not tell them? Those two things are annoying and of course the tenants would want them fixed. They ask us this because, as they tell us, they received some "usage report" that told them too much water was being used. I'm wondering if the report is coming from some nosy neighbor. I honestly think the management company is irritated at how much water we use because they can't really put a limit on us. They pay the water bill but I just don't think you can tell your tenants that they're only allowed to use X amount of gallons a day. Anyway, they should have planned a plumber visit ahead of time and let us know not at the last minute. A burst pipe or another true emergency wouldn't necessitate that; it would be understandable. But this thing you about. Fortunately in the next couple of months my family is buying a house and I will not have to deal with this apartment nonsense anymore.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Luckily my complex did let us know a few days ahead of time in an email that they were shutting off water to fix a leak somewhere. We were ready too, cause it makes me nervous to have no water, especially with the toilets and whatnot. But it was fine.

And there are people who don't care about fixing leaks, my upstairs neighbors didn't bother to report a leak and we ended spending a month with our place in disarray as water came out of the ceiling of our hall bathroom.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

If they're having a large number of leaks and truly excessive usage, I suspect that either there was an issue with the installation of the pipes, or just shitty materials, or both.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We have a water main valve thingy in front of our home. When we saw water coming out of the thingy, we called the water company. They came out and fixed it, which included shutting the water off for the entire neighborhood for a few hours.

The only notice anyone got was me posting on Nextdoor suggesting that folks in the neighborhood fill buckets to flush toilets.

Of course, the only way anyone knew the water was back on was me updating my Nextdoor post.

Comment

This happened to a friend of mine. Due to COVID panic buyers bottled water is hard to find and she has meds she needs to take three times a day WITh water or else bad things can happen and it can be life threatening if she doesn’t take them on time because it then conflicts with other meds that she takes and because of all her medical issues. Of course they told her they were turning the water off only as their fingers were on the proverbial off button. She was lucky in that she had a copy of the contract saying they needed 24h notice unless it’s an emergency at hand. A clause she had put in there because of her medical issues to make sure she wasn’t screwed over. A hospital stay is not what anyone wants especially these days
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Good news: moving into a house next month so there will be less of this nonsense unless the water provider is screwy. Also won't have to move my car down the block for 6 hours every time the snow sticks, and then have to go retrieve it. And I will have to deal with less of other apartment problems. I'm so glad. When Mom passes my brother and I will own it.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The usual advice is that you should have at least a 3-day supply of "bottled" (jug) water for emergencies: 1 gallon per person per day, half of that to drink, the other half for washing, cooking, and other uses. Having some jugs stashed under the table helped a lot when my place had a water main break a while back.

Comment

Working...
              X