X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with formatting an SD card

Folks,

I have a 32GB Micro SD card that I am trying to format, but everytime I try it says "Windows was unable to complete the format". Any ideas as to what I could try? Thanks!

BTW, the spyware help was successful!

I checked with my techie husband, and he thinks the card might be defective. Your Windows version might also be a factor, he says.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

If you have NTFS selected in format, try switching it to FAT32.

Comment

There's also an outside possibility that the card reader doesn't properly support the card. (SD cards are more complicated than they look; I have several that my Raspberry Pi won't work with, but my camera will.) If you can try a different card reader, that might help.

Comment

Actually, at 32 gig, it's no way an SD card. It may be an SDHC or some such. But "plain" SD stops well before 32 gig.

So as others have noted, your reader may not support the card.

Comment

At 32g it's the largest SDHC available. SD caps out at 2g, and 64+ is SDXC.

If the card reader can read/write the card as is, then it supports it. If it didn't, you wouldn't be able to access the card via your comp at all.

If you're using it in a camera, always use the camera to format, not the PC. You may want to try to use other software to format it, as Windows often has trouble formatting large partitions in FAT32.
            This should help if you're using it in another device that doesn't format itself.

Comment

Working...
            X