This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows is suddenly not genuine

So, Kheldarson's PC again. It's now giving her a message saying that Windows is Not Genuine when she turns it on, and a similar message remains above the system tray.

It says it's Build 7601, and gives the error code 0xC004F057.

The only major changes recently have been replacing the motherboard like I asked about in this other thread.

Any suggestions? When I look it up online, I'm seeing anything from corrupted files, to missing registries, to viruses, to having to re-register the computer due to the new motherboard.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
    The only major changes recently have been replacing the motherboard like I asked about in this other thread.
    Here's the issue.

The Genuine Windows system is not that different to limited install DRM for PC games. IT gets ID codes from the parts installed and submits them as the "proper system" for it. Change to many components (which a motherboard counts as considering it's the hardware spine of a computer) and the report ID's it as a different system. It is kind of flakey though as I did essentially a full system replacement over the years including a new MB and CPU with no issues.

Best advice I can offer is to contact Microsoft Customer Support (hey, I never said it was great advice, just the best I could offer) and inquire about getting the new hardware registered. You'll most likely be asked for your product key so have it handy.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I have heard of this before, as well - but only in reference to OEM versions of Windows -- they are definitely locked to a system. Normal retail ones should not care, as long as they're only installed on one system at any given time, iirc.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Normal retail ones should not care, as long as they're only installed on one system at any given time, iirc.
        Actually, they'll bitch about it, but if you call the Microsoft help number it will give you a code to successfully activate the machine.

Comment

I got that message constantly after I replaced the hard drive on my laptop. Eventually I was able to update it. Now I can't find it
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
          X