This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype is raising my blood pressure...

I just updated to the latest version of Skype, because I couldn't make a call to someone.

So now, after the update, I discover that the microphone is on mute! Wasn't like that before. Oh, and I can't make the call again. I could, for a while, but the microphone was (and still is) on mute, so there was no point making it.

I've done all kinds of microphone tests. I've complained to Skype. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you resolve it?

Well, first test would be to try and use the mic. in another program. At the least you should have a basic recording program if you're using XP, as there's one built in. Can't remember what it's called though. If it doesn't work in there, it's a system issue, not Skype (though Skype may have started it). Try uninstalling skype, then update sound drivers, if it's a USB microphone switch it to a different port to make the system reinitialize it, check under sound properties to see if it's muted on the master level.

If it *does* work in another program, completely uninstall skype and see if you can do a fresh install. I've had a few programs go wonky when upgraded, but were fine after a fresh install.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I second Broomjockey's suggestions. As far as testing your mic, I think XP's basic recording program is called Sound Recorder. Macs have GarageBand, so if you have a Mac, try it there.

There's also a freeware program called Audacity (I think?) that serves the same purpose, too.
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Okay, I removed Skype, then downloaded it again. I can hear the sound of my breathing in the headphones. Skype, in all its perversity, STILL claims my microphone is off. I am ready to strangle someone.

Comment

start -> run
          sndrec32

try that and see if it records

for the windows sound its
          sndvol32

gl

Comment

not to threadjack but I have a couple of computers and on my main one Skype stopped working completely. That is as soon as I execute it, the thing closes itself without any error messages, log files or indications what's up. It's been re-downloaded and reinstalled several times and it just does the same thing. After a couple of days wandering all over their support and trying to troubleshoot the problem, I've just given up having it work on that computer at all. Thank goodness my laptop's fine with it.

If you're using your microphone on a regular basis, I find it handy to put the Volume Control icon in the taskbar... Start Menu > Control Panel > Sounds & Audio > Place icon in taskbar. Then you can just double click it whenever you need to see if windows has it muted (though I must note that there are seperate sections (and mute buttons) for "Playback" and "Record" settings).
            Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

I did discover that the sound on "Rear Pink In" was down, so I turned it up. I can hear myself, but Skype can't hear me. Downloading an older version hasn't worked; my email of complaint remains unanswered. Is Skype there to torture us, or something? I've read complaint after complaint about microphone problems.

EDITED TO ADD: I just tried doing a sound recording on my computer, and nothing recorded. I am truly about ready to go on a rampage; everything worked fine before I downloaded new Skype, and now everything is screwed.
              Last edited by Eireann; 11-01-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

If it's not recording, but you can hear yourself, then most likely there's a seperate "record" volume setting that's muted, and skype probably uses that as well as the recorder. This is probably something you're going to have to head to an actual technical forum to get fixed.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I got it fixed! I checked a few more things, clicked here and there, and discovered that the "Front Mic" was checked (there IS no Front Mic), so I unchecked it and checked "Pink In", or whatever the hell you call it.

According to the little icon on Skype, my microphone is still muted. I made that free call, though, so I know it's not. Very weird.

Comment

There's a difference between the volume controls for playback, and the controls for recording. The standard Windows applet won't show both at once - which is extremely confusing for anyone who doesn't know about it.

When you turn up the volume slider for the microphone on the playback side, it just means that you can hear yourself, it doesn't affect whether the computer can hear you.

Instead, you have to turn up the slider on the recording set. This is probably easiest to do from the Sound Control Panel rather than the volume applet. You should also check in the Advanced settings (if there are any) that the Microphone Boost is turned on - most microphones provide a low-level signal that needs an extra stage of amplification compared to a "line" signal.

Comment

Working...
                    X