This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good things about books ;)

Book/Reading Pet Peeves got me thinking about... what about the good things in books?

So instead of thread-jacking here we go. What things do you like?

Humor. Not actual "funny books" but books that include humor or wit in the right time & place. Too much humor and you end up with something that looks like Xanth with more puns than plots, and too little and it can be pretty dry... but just enough in the right spots, can do wonders.

A classic example is of course Shakespeare; his tragedies often had the funniest lines, used to break up the drama a bit. But modernly... I'd have to say Dean Koontz - or rather Odd Thomas. I fell for that series in the first chapter of book 1, with the dry wit the protagonist clearly had.

Knowing what you're writing about, or at least doing your research.
    Good examples, John Ringo's military books, also the Deed of Paksenarrion with the military tactics (Elizabeth Moon is a former Marine officer).

Another good one is "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew J. Robinson. Now normally actor-written books are on my peeves list because most of the work is done by the ghost/partner writer. However this one is an exception. Robinson (who played Garak in DS9) didn't have any helper-writers. His editor gave him a lot of material for research into writing his book but... he did the grunt work himself. Consequently this is on my "good list" because of the amount of research he did before writing, and because it was actually well-written.

Which brings me to my last category for now: being well written. I've read books with confusing plots, and yet still enjoyed them, even as the plot bewildered me. This came simply from the fact that the author actually knew how to write well. My example for this is Ray Bradbury and "Let's All Kill Constance"... I'm still not really sure wtf happened in that book, but Mr. Bradbury's gift for setting scenes was, as ever, good enough that I didn't really mind being confused.

I'll probably think of more along the way but these are the first that come to mind.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 11-25-2012, 10:54 AM. Reason: adding in some bold i forgot earlier

The Dark Tower series...so much good stuff in that I can't name them but one thing i do love is the full ending. Without spoiling it I'll simply say my reaction as I was reading it. "No nono don't go in there..nononowaitwtfHOLYCRAPWTF" and then after you've had time to digest the ending, sitting there, nodding to yourself and going "that was kinda the right way to end it."

You know the "ending" is going to be bad when the author warns you that you might not want to read it.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

It's interesting you brought up this subject; I'd like to remention that this book is due out in 3 days.

Hope you saved some cash from Black Friday.

Comment

1) I love a book that keeps me guessing. I don't like it when, three chapters in, I can already predict how the story is going to go.

2) Books that take me on a ride emotionally. If it can make me laugh, cry, blush, scare me, and especially leave me genuinely fearing for the safety and well-being of the characters all in the same book/series, I'll love it.

All of that being said, yes I already have pre-ordered Cold Days. Because Dresden Files fills both of those loves.
        Last edited by firecat88; 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Being funny. Yes. I'm a huge fan of P.G. Wodehouse, who was a master of humor:

"'Nana!' cried Miss Oliphant pinkly."

"She gazed at Freddie as though he were the smell of onions..."

Writing that is appropriate to the era in which the book is set, an all-too-rare phenomenon - and, yes, I am thinking of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell again. The spelling is correct for the time period. The characters, the situations, everything is just perfect. Parts of the book made me want to cheer aloud.

Ray Bradbury, yes, because he was so gifted with words.

The short stories of M.R. James. He was a genius - historian, linguist, etc. His stories reflect his vast knowledge, and they're scary as all HELL.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
            1) I love a book that keeps me guessing. I don't like it when, three chapters in, I can already predict how the story is going to go.

2) Books that take me on a ride emotionally. If it can make me laugh, cry, blush, scare me, and especially leave me genuinely fearing for the safety and well-being of the characters all in the same book/series, I'll love it.
            The Dark Tower is pretty much that, especially the last book.
            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Books that surprise me, not just with the plot but with how good the writing is.

Books that resist stereotypes and cliches.

Books that don't talk down to me. I don't want to have to look up a new word on every single page (I'm talking to you, Stephen Donaldson) but I do like learning something new.

Books that are so well written and the characters, plot and world-building so absorbing, that I can disappear into them for hours, and when I finish reading, sigh in heart-felt satisfaction. Books like that stay with me, and they're books I can pick up again, open at any page, and it all happens again.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                It's interesting you brought up this subject; I'd like to remention that this book is due out in 3 days.

Hope you saved some cash from Black Friday.

I frown because I'm still back on like book 3 of the series. the last one out before hand looked great but i hate going ahead in a series. ...maybe eventually i'll get the others too.

Anyone else imagine Terrance Mann's voice for Bob?

which reminds me of another series i love for the combination of Research, Well written, and basically a good plot. Actually 2 series come to mind:
                - Bloody Jack series. Children's series about a London orphan in the early 1900s who hid her gender to become a sailor, just cos the pay included food. the author was pretty realistic (although kept the content to young-adult levels) about the life of a sailor. I wasn't surprised to learn that the author L.A. Meyer was in fact a former Naval officer. His book also details what realistic issues a woman in disguise would have as she matured and hit puberty.

- Ranger's Apprentice. The only reason I stopped reading this was because the library didn't have the latest books, and I was too broke back then to buy them. unlike regular fantasy books where arrows do little damage, this series has been noted for being more realistic with what an arrow can do. The author also makes the tactics, & battle setups easy to understand. Although when I think of the senior ranger Holt, I usually picture him as Jeremy Irons - or rather Brom.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X