Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has gone to where? (Happy thread. I hope)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, so far:

Amsterdam, the US (drove an erratic route from Chicago to Philly), Toronto and Quebec in Canadalandialand, Italy (inc Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Venice, Pisa, Anzio, and Rome), Prague (a few times - with some outlying areas visited along the way), Barcelona (fascinating), France and Germany (week-long school trips), and many European countries when I was a baby as my father was in the army.

Current plans include Krakow in the near future, Rekjavik in Iceland for Eve Fanfest next year, Hadrian's Wall coast to coast on bike next year, and whatever else comes up.

Longer term, coast to coast by train in Canadalandialand.

Rapscallion

Comment

i was just thinking about japan earlier today too. at times i really miss it.

the trains that mean i don't have to have a car. (plus i can drink without having to worry about who's driving!)

sushi the way it's suppose to be (none of that americanized stuff).

going out for special set meals on christmas, thanksgiving, etc. i never did KFC for christmas though and i kinda wish i had.

actually pretty much most of the restaurants were excellent. i especially miss the coffee shops and that french bread place on blue street (yokosuka).

and don't get me started on yodobashi. (drool!). oh and Tokyu Hands! There's a bath salt i bought there that I love. i have 2 bags of it left and am saving them for special occasions.

Comment

I've been to Tijuana Mexico. Though, it was 30 years ago. There's no way in hell I'd go there today.

I liked Thunder Bay Ontario. Nice city.
        Las Vegas is one of my favorite places to go.
        Myrtle Beach, SC is an awesome place to vacation.
        I also had lots of fun in the Wilmington, NC area.
        Lots of fun in San Jose, CA (and profitable as well, with my WPT cash there).

Next June will be my 40th birthday, and I want to go somewhere for it. There's so many things I want to do, and so many places to go. Heck, I might even do a cruise. Now, to find someone special to join me.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

First, bear in mind that I was a travel agent for over a decade so I caught some awesome deals I never could have afforded these trips otherwise.
          The three places I would go back to at the drop of a hat are:
          Fiji, well because it is Fiji. The Cook Islands, Bonaire and Cairns (Aus) are close runners up in this "if I could grow gills I would" category.
          Zihuatanejo, yes, the place he runs off to in Shawshank. Balcony room at Hotel Irma, some cocktails at sunset then a stroll into "town" for a just caught fish dinner - blissyblissblissbliss.
          Edinburgh - I would like to go there just once when I wasn't working so I could experience the town when it isn't so crazy, but maybe that is part of what I love about it.

I would like to go back to Honduras and Belize when I don't have a broken leg and can go diving - my SO said it was awesome.
          I don't know if I would go back to Costa Rica, not because I didn't love it - I very much did - I just know it is changing so quickly that I know it won't be the same if I go back and I don't want to spoil the memory.

In the US - New Mexico is my favorite "road trip" state. Vermont I'm not allowed to be a "leaf peeper" because it mortifies my sis, but I sneak pixs anyways. Utah I hated living in but it does have Zion and Bryce NPs so it isn't all bad. Oahu I like, but that is because I have family there and they take me around to the "local" places. Moloka'i is also awesome.

Comment

Have seen all the provinces from BC to Quebec. I really should see the eastern provinces.
            Hawaii
            Las Vegas
            Great Falls Montana
            Disneyland
            Cancun 2x
            Peurta Vallarta
            Panama
            Cuba
            London (just an 8 hour layover but we did get a mini tour)
            Bulembu, Swaziland

Found out last week we are going back to Swaziland next March.

Comment

The only other country I've visited is the UK. I want to go back and explore, not just London but all the other cities and towns too. I know I couldn't see it all in a short holiday.

As for this country:
              Lived in Victoria, hated it
              Lived in Northern Territory, hated it
              I've visited Sydney and Perth, they're ok.
              If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Quoth Iced Coffee Man View Post
                The only other country I've visited is the UK. I want to go back and explore, not just London but all the other cities and towns too. I know I couldn't see it all in a short holiday.

As for this country:
                Lived in Victoria, hated it
                Lived in Northern Territory, hated it
                I've visited Sydney and Perth, they're ok.
                So you're a Queensland person then?
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Apart from a couple of day trips over the border to Mexico before you needed a passport, I've never been outside the USA. Money, y'know.

I really want to visit England, Scotland, Ireland, would not say no to much of the rest of Europe, wouldn't mind seeing Australia. Definitely want to visit Canada.

In the USA, I've been to New York City twice (before 9/11, and want to go again, I love that city!), California many times (San Diego, Los Angeles, Monterrey, various other cities and towns along the coast), Seattle, most of western Oregon, El Paso, Durango CO (pleasant town, I recommend the Durango-Silverton train ride, very pretty scenery), most of Arizona, Las Vegas. Would not mind visiting Chicago, Philadelphia or the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Would enjoy visiting New England in the autumn. Want to take the kid to Disneyland, and definitely want to visit Harry Potter world at Universal Studios Orlando. Again, money.
                  I know what you mean about money.

If you make it to Canada, let me know. If you're coming through my area we can go visit a Timmie's.

Oh, and Harry Potter world! How'd I forget that?? An online HP group, of which I'm a member, is going in March. I can't go. School ... and money.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    either that or a tasmania person

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                      I've been to Tijuana Mexico. Though, it was 30 years ago. There's no way in hell I'd go there today.
                      I went there for the day about 12 years ago. Bought a hand made leather backpack, which was the only worthwhile part of the trip. It was a scary place. Every 4th place was a bar, a brothel, a leather goods store, and a pharmacy. Federales with AKs and jeeps were on every corner. The place was filthy. It's not the real Mexico and I'll never go back.

I've been to Canada any number of times. Went on a 2 week skiing trip in Quebec; visted a couple of different resorts, spent time in Montreal and Quebec City as well. I enjoyed Quebec City, especially the Old City. Most of the folks we met were really nice, but there were some French Canadian asshats who would refuse to speak English to us, and we could tell they understood us.

We stayed in a ski lodge we rented from McGill U in Shawbridge (Prevot). There was this little old lady who made the best oatmeal bread I've ever had in my life. We bought a loaf every day we were there. It's also where I blew out both my knees skiing; they've never been the same since, but it was my own fault since I didn't do anything to take care of them and just kept on skiing. I was 23 and dumb as a stump.

I've also been to various places in Saskatchewan Province. A friend of mine from college was from there, and I spent several holidays at her parents place. Her brother in law was a Native guide, and took us ice fishing, which was totally awesome.

I've driven cross country before, and visited many states. I've been skinny dipping in Walden Pond (and no, there is no nude beach there), snorkeling in the clear springs in Florida. Hiked many parts of the Appalachian Trial and the Florida Trail. I've canoed the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia. Been hiking in Big Sur and seen the Redwoods. Visited the headwaters of the Missouri River. There are such grand places in the US, and I've barely scratched the surface.

Most recently I've been to Korea. I went on a 10 day cultural trip last July. Visited a number of their national treasures, and got to see a private demo of Tae Kwon Do from the National Demo Team at Kukkiwon headquarters in Seoul, then got a private lesson from their top master. It was totally cool and awesome, and I am lusting to go back . . . which I won't be able to afford to do for quite a while, alas.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        I live in the same city as you
                        If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

I've been very blessed to be able to travel a great deal. The only place I've been outside the U.S. is Canada. I've been to every state except most of the New England states and Alaska.

I'm not a big fan of cities and prefer natural destinations. As a result, most of my destinations are National Parks.

This year I made it to:
                          Theodore Roosevelt National Park
                          Glacier National Park (second time)
                          Wateron Lakes National Park in Canada (part of Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park)
                          Craters of the Moon National Monument
                          Grand Teton National Park (second time)
                          Yellowstone National Park (second time)
                          Devils Tower National Monument (second time)
                          Little Big Horn National Battlefield
                          Mount Rushmore (second time)
                          Crazy Horse Monument
                          Badlands National Park (second time)

Other parks I've been to

Grand Canyon x3
                          Smokey Mountains x3
                          Volcanoes National Park
                          Isle Royale National Park
                          Boundary Waters Canoe Area
                          Mount Ranier National Park
                          Rocky Mountain National Park
                          Florissant National Fossil Beds
                          Dinosaur National Monument x2
                          Pike's Peak

I love to drive.
                          I've driven Skyline Drive 3 times and the Blue Ridge Parkway once.
                          I've done US 12 from Detroit to Chicago and would like to take it to Washington State

I'm looking to do Route 66 some day.
                          I'd also like to do US 24. I've done both ends but would like to do the whole thing.

I'm hoping to get to the New England states I haven't been to next year. I'd like to do it in the fall, but don't know if I want to pay the 'peak rates' prices.

There are a lot of places I'd like to get to out that are outside of the U.S. but I still haven't seen everything I want to here yet.
                          I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            i was just thinking about japan earlier today too. at times i really miss it.

the trains that mean i don't have to have a car. (plus i can drink without having to worry about who's driving!)

sushi the way it's suppose to be (none of that americanized stuff).

going out for special set meals on christmas, thanksgiving, etc. i never did KFC for christmas though and i kinda wish i had.

actually pretty much most of the restaurants were excellent. i especially miss the coffee shops and that french bread place on blue street (yokosuka).

and don't get me started on yodobashi. (drool!). oh and Tokyu Hands! There's a bath salt i bought there that I love. i have 2 bags of it left and am saving them for special occasions.
                            Favorite city in Japan?

Comment

Quoth Iced Coffee Man View Post
                              I live in the same city as you
                              Wait, you're from Adelaide?
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I love traveling, don't need first class accomodations or transport, I've learned to stretch every travel dollar to the max. I love going to new places, especially anywhere historical, though beautiful landscape is great as well.

I grew up moving around the U.S. a lot, and spending a lot of vacations on family car trips from coast to coast.

As a child, I lived in Georgia, North Carolina, Tennesee, Florida, Arizona & California (several towns in some states).
                                Some of my memoies of childhood travels are:
                                The Smoky Mountains
                                Key West, FL
                                St. Augustine, FL
                                Daytona Beach, FL
                                Stone Mountain, GA
                                The Alamo, TX
                                Grand Canyon, AZ
                                Petrified Forest, AZ
                                Tombstone, AZ
                                Virginia City, NV
                                San Juan Capistrano, CA
                                Disneyland
                                Bodie, CA
                                Death Valley, CA
                                San Francisco, CA
                                plus
                                Nogales & Tiajuana, Mexico

As an adult, I lived in the US in California, North Carolina, Tennesee, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington & Oregon (several towns in some states).
                                My memories of traveling in the US as an adult include:
                                Gettysburg, PA
                                Lexington, VA
                                Charleston, SC
                                Disneyworld, FL
                                St. Augustine, FL
                                The Smokey Mountains
                                upstate New York
                                Williamsburg, VA
                                Memphis, TN
                                St. Joseph, MO
                                Winchester Mystery House, Ca
                                San Francisco, CA
                                plus
                                Kingston, Ontario, Canada

(I think I've been to over 3/4 of the states in the US, ones I haven't lived in or visited are mainly New England states, and a few of the midwestern states.

Also, as an adult, I lived in the UK for 9 years (in Pembrokeshire, Wales and in Suffolk, England). We traveled as much as we possibility could during that time, some of my favourite "foreign" travel memories (there are tons more not listed) include:
                                Cardiff, Wales
                                Hay-on-Wye, Welsh/English border
                                Stratford on Avon, England
                                London, England
                                York, England
                                Hadrian's Wall, England
                                Tower of London, England
                                Edinburgh, Scotland
                                Loch Ness, Scotland
                                Stonehenge, England
                                Nottingham & Sherwood Forest, England
                                Dublin, Ireland (on St. Patrick's Day)
                                Holland (Amsterdam, Kukenoff Gardens, etc)
                                Brugges, Belgium
                                Paris, France
                                Calais, France
                                Luxembourg
                                Germany (Heidelburg, various towns on the Rhine)
                                Spain, including Seville & Cadize

There's so many more, and so many places I remember in each town. I know I've been lucky, but I SO would love to have more time & money to travel more. There are so many places I still want to go. The past 2 or 3 years have been a bit tough, so no traveling, and I'm SO ready to pack and go somewhere, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
                                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X