X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MadMike View Post
    Because "311 (three hundred eleven) is newer than 98."
    "But this OS goes to 11"!
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

[Insert deity here] bless Spinal Tap.

Personally, while I've been working with Windows for years, I'd love to have the time and the knowhow to write my own OS from scratch. And I don't mean to say I want to get Linux, because I didn't write that myself from scratch now did I?
      I'm likewise in no hurry to update to Vista. XP has its bugs, but a lot less than it did when it first came out, and I have the security of knowing that practically everything will run fine on Windows, as long as Windows itself isn't having any issues.
      "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        The crappiness of ME and Vista aside, at least she knows they're newer. My son told me the idiot techs at his school got a hold of a bunch of computers with Win98, wiped them all, and installed 3.11 on them. Because "311 (three hundred eleven) is newer than 98."
        Ow. Ow. Ow. OW. OW!!!
        Don't step in that!
        I need to spoon it back throught my ear!
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
          I'd love to have the time and the knowhow to write my own OS from scratch.
          OOOO!!! Can I write the error messages??? PLEASE?????
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

No keyboard detected, press F1 to continue.

Or my favourite error message, which I've seen once and never again while trying to puzzle out a Unix system. I gave up and slumped on the keyboard. The message popped up on screen 'You can't do that.'
            Proactive Karma Engineer

Comment

Quoth Mr B Rabbit View Post
              I almost destroyed a student machine the first time I got that message. The computer was already Hades incarnate, and just driving me batty. I think I put it into safe mode, and got that message, and it was the final straw.

I took a nice long break after that one.

Comment

Don't Listen or READ!!!!

Sucky customers don't listen nor do they READ!!! Every company I have been a tech for, if there is a device sold that tech support is offered on, SUCKY customers almost always don't read the material, or even worse, throw out the much needed drivers or software disks that come with the devices, then call and expect you to start with them from ZERO, not having even tried. Sometimes, I think customers feel trying is beneath them somehow. I had a guy call up, CEO golpher, he just says, "I received my "device" today, what do I do now?" I politely placed him on hold for about 15 minutes, took a rather lengthy bathroom break, when I got back, he had everything set up and working. The twit could have done that before calling.
                Ignorance IS Bliss!:

Comment

Or my favourite error message, which I've seen once and never again while trying to puzzle out a Unix system. I gave up and slumped on the keyboard. The message popped up on screen 'You can't do that.'
                  My friend was working on chess program for her software engineering class. She had to sit and do some debugging the day before it was to be presented to her proffessor. So she threw in some random alert boxes to be shown in certain areas in the code when an error had occured, i.e. when an exception was caught. Since there where only a couple of them, and the errors messages were never meant to be seen by anyone other than her, those messages didn't exactly contain useful information. She changed the code for the program to adjust itself for the error so it didn't matter if the error occured and handed in the code. Except, she forgot to take out one of the alerts. In the middle of presenting the code to the proffessor, an alert box pops up and says the oh-so-informative: "FURBY!FURBY!FURBY!FURBY!FURBY!FURBY!"

Comment

Windows 98 was very fond of that, but I haven't seen it since. Probably still would give it if you tried...

98, however, would give it even when you had a fully functioning keyboard connected, given that it worked last time you turned the machine on.
                    I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

That was what happened with me... ON AN XP LAPTOP!!

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
                        Windows 98 was very fond of that, but I haven't seen it since. Probably still would give it if you tried...
                        I actually think it's a BIOS thing rather than an OS thing, but I could be wrong.

Rapscallion

Comment

Yeah, it's a BIOS thing. That same error text has been in BIOSes since time immemorial, it seems.

Comment

Gah, brainfart... Yes, it is. It just happens that machines that nowadays come with XP have slightly better BIOSes and hardware config, and so it happens less often.

And, if I recall, that happens with... Oh, either AMI or Phoenix BIOSes. One or both of them.
                            I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

I do believe it's defaulted now days not to stop on keyboard errors. Unlike older computers where you didn't have the option to not stop on keyboard errors.

And yes, that "error message" exist back on 8086 computers. It's a oldie that never gets old.
                              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
                              X