Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to have a sign on our front door at our old house that said "No religious solicitors." It actually worked.

A friend who was in the SCA was once trying on a suit of armor when some JoHo's came to the door. He yanked open the door in full armor, carrying a sword or axe (I forget) and bellowed, "WHAT???" They took off running.

Another friend had a couple of Irish Wolfhounds who were outside when some of these folks came calling. They ended up pinned up against the wall, terrified of the dogs. Granted, they were big, but these were 2 of the friendliest dogs ever. Friend called them off and the Witnesses left in a hurry.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My dogs scare off the religious types, especially after the mail has been delivered and I could have the screen door latched and have the front door opened, as one dog loves to poke his head through the kitty door.

Comment

I used to keep rats, and anyone who's owned rats knows it's necessary to bring them out of the cage for cuddle and play time.

So, one day I've got one of my two big males out. He was a double rex REW...iow, buck nekkid except for curly whiskers, a scraggly white "beard", and demonic looking red eyes. He was also by far the friendliest, calmest rat I've ever had, and loved to snuggle on my shoulder with his face in my hair.

Doorbell rings, and it's a religious sort. They see Karana. Byebye religious folks, doubletime.
        "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
        - H. Beam Piper

Comment

A friend of mine allowed a JW in his home. And tried to convert him to some religion he was making up on the spot (this friend is actually a Catholic). He didn't allow the JW to talk, he just kept ranting for over 30 minutes, his son timed him. The JW left. Never came back.
          FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

When the Mormons came calling, my roommates and I invited them in to eat hotdogs with us. Apparently we were weird enough to dissuade them, because they never came back.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Gee. And all I ever do when a person of faith comes to my door is smile, listen politely to whatever the person wants to share with me, thank him or her for the information, tell the person I am fine in my religion and wish the person a nice day. Sometimes, I offer a bottle of water as well.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

My husband's grandparents never see JWs anymore. 2/3 of the ones that visited in the past were converted to HG's beliefs. Apparently, they don't like losing their salesmen.

Comment

Maybe the next time a proselytizer ignores my "No Soliciting" sign, I will try to convert them to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                    Gee. And all I ever do when a person of faith comes to my door is smile, listen politely to whatever the person wants to share with me, thank him or her for the information, tell the person I am fine in my religion and wish the person a nice day. Sometimes, I offer a bottle of water as well.
                    I'm not rude to all solicitors who knock on my door, religious or otherwise.

But when I've told the same person more than once not to return to my door, all bets are off.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

thank him or her for the information, tell the person I am fine in my religion and wish the person a nice day. Sometimes, I offer a bottle of water as well.
                      This.

I've been known to do this as well, right down to the water part. Then again, perhaps I've been lucky - I've never encountered any really pushy or obnoxious ones. If someone is polite, I truly don't see the point in getting nasty or resorting to some of the disgusting behavior I've heard about (not here).

Although I'll concede that if there's a 'no trespassing/no soliciting' sign and/or they've visited more than once, I'd see no problem with someone throwing attitude at them.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        Another friend had a couple of Irish Wolfhounds who were outside when some of these folks came calling. They ended up pinned up against the wall, terrified of the dogs. Granted, they were big, but these were 2 of the friendliest dogs ever. Friend called them off and the Witnesses left in a hurry.
                        We used to have a similar problem (not just door-to-door types) when we had a pair of Newfies. People would refuse to believe that anything that big was one of the soppiest breeds around.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

*shrug* I'm not rude but if I've got a rat out for some cuddle time, and it's one that likes to perch, chances are I'm doing whatever and that includes answering the door if needed. I wouldn't go out of my way to hassle them, but if someone gets freaked about it, that's a personal problem.
                          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I once had a salesperson whine that if I don't buy from him that he won't reach his sales target.... since when has a stranger interrupting my time's sales target any of my concern? I told him that and calmly closed the door.

I am going to get a copy of that sign for my door.

Comment

Come to think of it, I'd be fine with the sign that was on Taz-mania

"Solicitors will be eaten."

...you know, I don't actually get any real visitors. Perhaps I might be giving off some gnarly waves that are keeping them at bay? Ha! Beware my aura of despair as you suffer a -2 penalty on your saving throws!
                              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I like my strategy for dealing with Mormon missionaries, as soon as I open the door I turn over my shoulder and yell "honey, why didn't you tell me you were calling for Mormon themed strippers tonight" I've also been known to ask to see the sacred undies to prove that they are actual missionaries... never had someone take me up on the offer to listen to them after they've proven they are wearing proper garments (okay, so I just want some of those cute missionaries to take their clothes off... but it's win win, either they go away or cute missionary takes off clothes, I don't see where this could go bad )
                                They though don't even compete with JW's for persistence though, I once had a JW hike in over a mile with snow shoes at my mom's house when the roads were snowed in I actually went to school with him, I tried to tell him he could dry his clothes off if he wanted (are you noticing a trend with me and missionaries )
                                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                                X