Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I admit, I get a little fanboyish when I meet a female gamer. Cause I think they rock. I know more then a few that make guys cry when they kick the guys butt in a game (soundly I might add).

However, we don't have two gamestops. Though we have two subways within less then a football field away from each other. One outside of wally world, one in.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

There used to be to Gamestops at one of my local malls. One closed down. Currently at that mall there are two Bath and Body Works one on top of the other (two stories). They're owned by the same person and employees can be sent to either location if there is a shortage. As far as I can tell they both have the same exact merchandise.

A mall a few miles away from the above one used to have two Icings in it (for those who don't know Icing is a sister store to Claire's but geared more towards tweens). They were both owned by two different people. One was at the far west wing and the other in the middle of the mall. The west wing location didn't get much business because there wasn't much parking on that end.
      Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

I have seen this in the malls in AZ where there was a game stop and an ebgames once I think GS bought out EB (or the other way around?) they just put up the new store name and ding twice the store. lol.
        Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
        pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

ah... Gamestop vs EB. good point. that might explain it here. well that and all the military gamers of course.

and luckily no one at GS tried stopping me at getting a game. granted i suck at FPS but give me a turn-based game and I'm good*. Or online RPGs.

*seriously i have a kickass team going on LOTR Third-age. Though I have a hard time letting the new characters play. I rather like having the main character (Bere) team up with the ranger & elf. Especially when I manage to put all of the bad guys to sleep and just let my team work out on some of their other skills while the "other side" is snoozing... until I get bored of that.

though i'm betting a lot of those young lads working at GS would do a double take at my favorite online game... mainly cos it's really old-school. I'm wondering how many of them even *know* what a MUD is
          Last edited by PepperElf; 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

GameStop is a corporation and they just like to have more than one store in an area. There is no competition between stores and EB is GameStop. Lots of people don't know that and it's why they closed the one in our mall. The one hubby works at is across the street from a mall that up until recently had EB and GameStop in it. Then there's one about 20 mins up the road and another about 35-40 mins the other direction. It's pretty common.

Comment

our mall has two in it and there are two gs' within two blocks of each other. guess you just can't cover the area well enough with one.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

In my city Game Stop is becoming the Starbucks of video games. Inside the mall is where EB games used to be, but was bought out by Game Stop. Then there's the store across the street from the mall that has always been a Game Stop.

Then over by where I used to live is another Ex EB Games turned Game Stop. Just across the street there is a Game Stop.

Sadly, the only chain that had any chance of competing with Game Stop closed down a year ago. Generally a good store, though I did have problems with one pushy clerk.

Re Girl Gamers: I didn't know that my penis granted me superior skills at video games. All this time I thought all I thought it took for someone to be better was practice.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I got called a "trophy wife" once by a handful of teenage boys when they found out that I own all the video game gear in the house rather than my husband. Oddly enough, though, I've never gotten any odd looks when I go into gaming stores, not even those that house paper-and-dice games. Probably helps that I first got into roleplaying games in Utah, where the gaming population was split just about evenly along gender lines (our group there was actually girl-dominant). Out here, I do feel a little odd as I'm frequently the only girl at the gaming table.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Lemme at 'em. I really want another chance to explain to a slack-jawed teenager that 'Kid, I've been playing games since before you were born. Now hand me that copy of Half-Life 2 and ring it up. I've got some splattin' to do."
                    get em, girl! i find it funny that none of the workers at game stores seem to be shocked when i ask about game x or y. i too, have been playing longer than these guys have been alive...and i owe it all to pong.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      (I don't know if he meant that each store had only half a planogram, or if they both had the whole planogram but just with fewer units of each SKU stocked?)
                      They'll have done what some of the stores round here do, the small shops will only stock the most popular items, while the larger ones will have the full range of products.

it means that 90% of the time the nearby shop will have what you need and won't have to waste shelf space on items that won't sell (which is at a premium in smaller shops) whilst if you want something that's a bit odd they can direct you somewhere within their own chain to get it from so they don't lose out on the sale...

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      Do both GSs in your mall carry the same stuff?
                      they will have the same new stock, but as GS makes a lot of its money from trade ins and selling second hand games the second hand stock will vary from shop to shop, so if you can't find a game in one, it's always worth trying the other.
                      "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                      Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                        they will have the same new stock, but as GS makes a lot of its money from trade ins and selling second hand games the second hand stock will vary from shop to shop, so if you can't find a game in one, it's always worth trying the other.
                        That's what's awesome about the two in our mall, they can check each other's inventories, and will call each other to confirm stock. It tends to go above and beyond a general "check all stores in the area" for the item, because they can do that separately. If I had to guess, the two stores actually share one store's inventory system and items are tagged as 'location 1' and 'location 2'.
                        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                          get em, girl! i find it funny that none of the workers at game stores seem to be shocked when i ask about game x or y. i too, have been playing longer than these guys have been alive...and i owe it all to pong.
                          Good ol' pong. Fond memories there.

I'm still laughing at the day I got into an involved conversation with the green-haired girl at the local EB about Test Drive Unlimited, and ended up with the young male workers standing there staring at us like we were an alien species.

It probably didn't help that the conversation devolved into a discussion about who was the.. ahem.. most attractive character in any video game. Except we'd forgotten that there might be guys within earshot, and ladies you know how we talk about attractive others when the menfolk aren't around.

Video games have given me some of the best memories. :P
                          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                          X