This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chips, dip, conversation, and dopes.

As many people know, we're digging out of ANOTHER storm here in the northeast. Last night after work (around 10pm), I hit the market before it got too bad, to get biscuit-making materials (damn you, Lupo, for making me want biscuits...), and a few other things I knew I needed.

No, not milk and bread. Neither of those came near my basket (although I did notice this morning that I'm low on milk - d'oh).

I decided, while at the store, to grab some tortillas and salsa for a snack. I'm supposed to be going low-sodium, but the siren song of salsa was calling me. Following my tastebuds, I waded through the crowds of people trying to check out, over to the chips & salsa aisle. Made the turn, and came upon...

A group of women. Now these four women were not shopping together. Rather, they all met up randomly at the market and decided to start CHATTING.

With their six carts.

And three kids. At least, I think it was only three kids... I saw one woman meet up with her husband later, and he had another two in tow. None of the kids were older than 5. At 1030PM, none of these kids were happy.

So, to recap: four women, three kids, six shopping carts. All squeezed into the aisle of a typical NYC supermarket at 1030 at night.

In other words, there was absolutely no space left.

Fiance put his hand on my arm, because he could see me starting to wind myself up to say something snarky (and probably kinda nasty) to these women. Something along the lines of "this is NOT your front parlor, there are OTHER people here, and SOME of us would like to get home before the storm gets bad! MOVE IT."

Good Fiance, keeping me from making a scene (or pulling a Lupo, as I was calling it last night). I growled "ex-CUSE me!" as I pushed through the middle of the group. They continued their clucking, no concern whatsoever for the people trying to get their shopping done. Another shopper with a large, fully-loaded cart was coming from the other direction, and I went passive-aggressive:

"Sorry, no way of getting through on this side. Some People don't understand the courtesy of leaving room for other carts."

I got a snerk and an eye roll from the commiserating shopper. At this point, there were people on either side of the group, trying to push through, and failing.

Doesn't it figure, the chips and salsa I wanted were directly behind one of the women? And my rather polite "excuse me, can I get behind you?" went ignored.

Darling Fiance grabbed my arm again. This time, though, I think he was worried I was gonna bite the woman. These were the LAST two items I needed before checkout, and she was IN MY WAY. *growl*

So all I did was reach behind her and grab my chips. I might have bumped her shoulder a bit... Just a bit! I swear! But she *did* move before I accidentally thumped her in the kidneys with the salsa.

I wish I'd taken a picture of this group. They took up an unbelievable amount of space. I also wish I'd actually gone Lupo on their asses and TOLD them how rude they were being!

People are so self-absorbed and shameless that they don't even care most of the time about stuff like that.

One of my biggest peeves about shopping are family reunions/beauty shop gossip in the middle of the aisles.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sheesh Kia! You're a Major Urban Area dweller! Nobody would've batted an eye had you decided to be more brusque than that.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Now if you had only had chips, dip, chains, and whips you could have made it a real party and gotten the inconsiderate twits to move.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

hey, none of this is my fault. Blame the biscuits. Biscuits are AWESOME.

Pull a Lupo, huh? Um. Yay...? I think? I'm a verb, adverb, AND noun?? o.O

I hate hate hate when people do that, too. It's like, "Oh, gee, SO sorry to interrupt your important conversation, but silly me, I'd like to buy the products from this retail establishment. Yes, those products. The ones on the shelf you've decided is your living room..."

Comment

I hate the ones who'll stop dead at the bottom of the escalator & start babbling,making everybody practically run into them.
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
              I hate the ones who'll stop dead at the bottom of the escalator & start babbling,making everybody practically run into them.

Freely admitting I am a bitch. I WILL bark 'MOVE IT!" quite loudly and firmly. You remember that voice your mom used when you were really in trouble? yeah that one. Amazing how they will jump and move, then realize it and glare at me.

Comment

The older I get, the bigger my mouth gets. They get one polite "excuse me" from me. After that, the bitch will make her entrance (especially if it's on Friday evening at Volde-Mart after I've finished a week complete with OT).

Doesn't hurt that I tend to be somewhat taller and a good portion of the population around here (not saying much, I'm only 5'4"). Plus, I learned a trick from my mom, who is tall (5'10").....stand up very straight and give them the "Spock eyebrow"!

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                Or walk in the doors of a store and....stop....in the middle of everything.

I've been threatening for years to get a government grant to study this.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

the military likes to do their version of that too.
                  people like using the passage way for informal meetings. which is great ... until you have to actually work in that p-way or get around them.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    Or walk in the doors of a store and....stop....in the middle of everything.

I've been threatening for years to get a government grant to study this.
                    So many people do this to me. I had one gentleman today do this at the top of the escalator into the store and block me from either getting round him to the trolley bay or past him into the store.
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

My favorite is the person that has their shopping cart on one side of the aisle and him(or her) self between the cart and the other side of the aisle, thus blocking said aisle.

Comment

Err, the cart abandoners or the ones who leave them just hanging around while they chat.

I get so upset also when people randomly just stop. Stop to check their phone or stop to do whatever, in the middle of where people are walking.

I don't want to walk right into your dumb ass, get out of the way.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I am not shy about informing people that doorways, walkways, and aisles are not for chatting. Since I know how to project, I don't have any trouble being heard, either. I get the impression I come off as something like a stern school teacher, which seems to work in my favor.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                            Now if you had only had chips, dip, chains, and whips you could have made it a real party and gotten the inconsiderate twits to move.
                            Oh what an awesome little phrase! May I borrow it to use under my screen name, pretty please with a butter rum pie on it?
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Oh what an awesome little phrase! May I borrow it to use under my screen name, pretty please with a butter rum pie on it?
                              It's from Weird Science. Not sure where it might have been used before that.

http://www.moviesounds.com/weird/sexdrugs.wav

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X