Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It doesn't work that way! (long sorry)

I have a co-worker who is from the Dominican Republic. She is a nice person, but has quite the temper! She gets really mad at the slightest infractions. I can usually ignore her temper, until she starts declaring something to be illegal and she's wrong about it. (Or maybe I'm wrong)

There is one driver who she dispatches to who cannot understand her. She has a real thick accent. It is hard at times to understand her and I can only imagine it being worse for someone hearing her over a two-way radio or a walkie talkie. This driver has told me, rather politely, that he likes her, but it's just so hard for him to understand her. She has exploded over this issue. She says that he is rude to her, which I am not on the phone to hear how he is, but this guy is not the type to be rude. She says his inability to understand what she is saying is discrimination and she is going to sue him and his company for this! I tried to explain to her that this is not a case of discrimination, just a language barrier. She was adamant! "NO IT'S NOT, IT'S DISCRIMINATION AND I CAN SUE!"

Whatever.

Another case of where I believe she is wrong on a law or policy happened yesterday. We have to bid on new shifts. She was saying that she has been working here x amt of time and needs to have her weekends off. She was getting rather angry about this issue. She starts ranting about how it's not fair that she has to work weekends when others have had the opportunity to get the weekends off. I explained to her that I have never had weekends off. Any opposition to her rants just meets with a stubborn mind and quick temper. "Well, You're new!" (No, I'm not new, I've been here longer than her, my seniority from the other department carried over to this one, much to some of my co-workers dismay) I tried to explain it's not going to matter how long you have been here as the first factor considered in the shift change. She started ranting that she will get weekends off because this place is an equal opportunity employer and it's the law.

I may be wrong, but being an EEOC has nothing to do with scheduling. I let it go without telling her this because when she thinks she is right there is no one that can tell her otherwise.

The main problem I have with her - when I have tried to correct her both times, she fails to be a team player. We are all suppose to help each other here at work and when I make her mad because I have disagreed with her, she drops the ball when it comes to assisting me. Even though I continue to assist her.

That's discrimination. I thought this place was an equal opportunity place! (jk)
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

So something that can't be helped, like the other employee's inability to understand her, is discrimination?

Now I've heard everything.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've applied for the "Lead Dispatch" position. If I get it, I will have plenty of opportunities to sharpen my communication skills when discussing things with her in ways that will not upset her. Lest I get discrimination filed against me! Of all people!
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

she sounds like my fiancees cousin. he thinks he can sue over anything. i know one time, his fiancee had ONE DOLLAR taken out of her paycheck to go to a foundation. the thing is, she never agreed. but it was just a dollar out of ONE paycheck. he wanted to sue over it. come on....sue over ONE DOLLAR that went to CHARTITY?!?! but everytime something happens, hes like, oh, i could sue, i should sue.....

Comment

I really can't stand those type of people...opportunists looking for the things they can sue over. With her, I try to tell her that her claims are not valid. You cannot sue for discrimination because someone doesn't understand you - that's NOT discrimination. I am just trying to help her out so that she doesn't go around ranting this to everyone thereby making her appear, uh, uneducated about the law.

I mean, if I went around ranting about something and my rant was based on information that was false, I would want to be told so as to avoid making a bigger ass out of myself than I already have.

Comment

Working...
          X