This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One room to rule them all...

Guy comes in without a reservation. At that time, I had exactly one room left to sell. (I had cancellations later, though with just one full-size bed, I think they were too small for him and his wife.)

SC: "Do you have a room? Preferably away from traffic, and on the ground floor?"
    Me: "Unfortunately, I only have one room left. It is upstairs. It has a fridge and microwave, so it is an extra $3 plus tax, so the rate will be $XX.XX."
    SC: "Oh, I don't need that. Do you have anything back here?" *points to the map*
    Me: "Just that one room I described to you already." *indicates on the map*
    SC: "Nothing downstairs? What about over here?" *indicates on map*
    Me: "No, I only have that one room left."
    SC: "Oh. I guess that will do. Can I park my truck and trailer back there?"

Bzzrt! Great. We don't have truck/trailer parking.

Me: "Well, you might be able to back it into this corner, if it's available. Otherwise, you'll have to park on the street."
    SC: "I can't do that, my bike is in there!"
    Me: "Well, I can't let you take up more than a couple spots, since we are full tonight. Can you disconnect the trailer?"
    SC: "No."
    Me: "Well, why don't you go back and see if that corner is open, and if so, I'll check you in."

Fortunately for SC, that one parking spot was open. SC came back to check in.

SC: "Are you sure that's the only room left? It seems like you have a lot of parking spots open."
    Note: it's 6pm. Our lot is almost always fairly empty at 6pm. For our refinery workers, it's shift-change, which means they're coming or going. For everyone else, even if we didn't have the workers, it's dinner time, and they're probably out.
    Me: "Most of our guests here are working at the refineries, and they're either just leaving or coming back, so their cars aren't here."
    SC: "Hmph. Whatever."
    *the rest of the check-in goes smoothly*

I almost wanted to say "No, I was lying, I have an entire spare building full of room and I've just been f***ing with you", but then he may have thought I was serious, and then I'd really have a problem on my hands.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    "Unfortunately, I only have one room left. It is upstairs. It has a fridge and microwave, so it is an extra $3 plus tax, so the rate will be $XX.XX."
    SC: "Oh, I don't need that. Do you have anything back here?" *points to the map*
    Me: "Just that one room I described to you already." *indicates on the map*
    SC: "Nothing downstairs? What about over here?" *indicates on map*
    Me: "No, I only have that one room left."
    I see you're getting Gravekeeper's customers.
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

I bet this same SC would accuse you of lying during bike season and all the bikes are in rooms.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth dragonslayer126 View Post
        I see you're getting Gravekeeper's customers.
        And all you have to do is add in demanding that you build a pool or a new room for them and supply a maid for free - and you'll get Dave's customers.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          And all you have to do is add in demanding that you build a pool or a new room for them and supply a maid for free - and you'll get Dave's customers.
          Don''t forget fixing the weather.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

SC: "Are you sure that's the only room left?
            "I guess I might have made a mistake. I will count them again. One." *blank stare*
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that gets customers like this.
              I would be sorely tempted to tell this guy that while he was wasting five minutes of my time, someone booked that last room online, and now there are NO rooms left.
              Last edited by MadMike; 04-11-2012, 01:52 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post

Comment

I almost wanted to say "No, I was lying, I have an entire spare building full of room and I've just been f***ing with you",
                That's what I am thinking, all the time..., more or less.

Comment

Quoth EyeAgree View Post
                  It's good to know that I'm not the only one that gets customers like this.
                  I would be sorely tempted to tell this guy that while he was wasting five minutes of my time, someone booked that last room online, and now there are NO rooms left.
                  I have actually had that happen before. Only time in my life I have been chewed out for smiling too much at a "customer"

Comment

Parking always seemed the worst on sold out days. People would do the same thing at our hotel.

"but there are so many spaces, why don't you have rooms?"

Cuz we didn't finish building that 6th floor yet..you know the one where we're hiding our pool (hotel didn't have one)

Comment

Working...
                    X