This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "All Heart, No Brains" or "How I learned to hate scope creep"

We are working on a CD for a large charity that is organising events all across the country.

The Setup: they want to update the one they did last year - one screen, eighteen buttons with links to PDFs for the event and a video. It has to be done in Flash and they MUST have it done in two weeks - 10 working days. More than enough time for a four hour job.

Day 0: They haven't provided any of the PDFs or the video, no problem, I can use placeholder files. They also haven't given us any artwork (we usually base the screen on existing posters, ads, etc.) Not a problem, I can whip up a skeleton and populate it later.

Day 3:At this point they send over their artwork, "just make it look like this"
    Do up a screen with interactive map and send it over for approval

Day 5: They didn't like the screen we sent over, the one that looks almost exactly like all their existing material. So their guy did up one himself and sent it over. Fine, I'm not insulted but why didn't you just do that in the first place?

Day 7: Now they want it regionalised and have people click on a map to see what documents are available for their area. Okay, this will add a few hours (and 40 PDFs) but it's still doable within their timeline.

Day 8: They inform us that they need to have both French and English available. I mention that it will add a day to the project and we're already near the deadline. They still haven't sent the PDFs or video.

Day 10: Deadline day. Still no PDFs/video and they tell us that they don't have French for all regions. Up to now, the code has been pretty simple but now I have to start setting flags for language.

Day 12: They send a list of all the PDFs in French and English. No actual PDFs yet but it does help, I can input all the names for the buttons.

Day 14: They send SOME of the PDFs, none of which match any of the names I was given in the previous list. Back to inputting buttons.

Day 15: They send over some more PDFs. Great, except some of the documents are Word Template files. Five of which are assigned to one button. More coding, PDFs will open in a browser window, .doc files will not.

Day 18: They inform us that some regions don't have all PDFs, but not which ones. Take the morning to configure an array to tell the program which region has what files. Still don't have all necessary files.

Day 21: They send the rest of the files and a matrix of which regions have which files. I notice there is an extra file in some of the regions directories that doesn't appear on the matrix. After a few emails, I find out it's a new file (and new button) that they've just added in. That means I have to shift the layout and do a bit more coding. I should mention at this point that we're at about twenty hours.

Day 22: Finally get everything sorted and working and sent out for approval. This is a Friday so I have no idea what they're going to want to throw in come Monday.

I have done work for MANY charities over the years and they all suck. Their hearts are in the right place and they do an immense amount of good but they have NO freaking idea how things work or what they actually want.

I feel for you. I led a chapter of a nonprofit group I belong to, and sometimes I felt like I was the only one doing any work. The others had lots of good ideas (and lots of bad ones) but too many people seemed not to know how to make it happen or didn't want to put in the effort. After I stepped down as leader I did a few other projects for them but naturally I always had to check up to make sure I had everything I needed.

I'm not perfect, of course (yes, I know you're all surprised )...when I was leader of that group, I did get behind in a lot of things myself and had people breathing down my neck...but in all fairness I shouldn't have had the workload I had to begin with. Also, I'd given one of the people who was helping us out (on her own - she wasn't even an official group member and she lives in another state, she started out helping our previous leader who died in 2008) a chance to back out since we were driving her nuts with our slowness, but she kept insisting on doing the work...and then reminding me how she likes to do all her stuff on a schedule
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
      I feel for you. I led a chapter of a nonprofit group I belong to, and sometimes I felt like I was the only one doing any work. The others had lots of good ideas (and lots of bad ones) but too many people seemed not to know how to make it happen or didn't want to put in the effort.

(snip) but she kept insisting on doing the work...and then reminding me how she likes to do all her stuff on a schedule
      Yes, and yes. I have the same with someone breathing down my neck to move a project forward but doesn't actually want to do it themselves. They also then suggest ideas that would take far too many resources and time and artistic talent that we don't have.. normally with a phrase I am coming to hate "this is easy..."

I hate mission creep and like to be exactly clear of what is expected of me and others - it drives me batty!
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Where I worked building theater lighting consoles, we considered it a given that 90% of the work necessary would be covered by "Oh, by the way..." clauses.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Question

Are you being paid to do this work or are you doing it for free?

FREE: Lay down the law, either they deliver all the info/files/design on the deadline you state or you will walk away period.

PAID: Lay down a contract that states deadlines and goals to be met. List *ALL* the extra charges if the change or do not meet the deadline. The more they change, the more they must pay. If possible insist on money up-front.

And always to remember to e-mail these terms every time a change takes place - CYA.

Comment

This always makes me cringe. Charities might not be for profit but they need to be run as stringently as, or even MORE stringently than, a normal business. After all, you're trying to persuade people to give their time and money! You've got to be responsible, trustworthy, and have your act together or why on earth would anyone want to? Charity is great but I'm personally not comfortable placing my money with people who don't seem to have a clue which way is up and I don't think I'm alone.

I'm really sorry you had to go through this. The only good thing I can see is that you didn't seem to get a hissy fit for going over the deadline. *knocks on wood so she doesn't jinx that*
            Last edited by Marszenka; 03-31-2012, 10:38 PM.

Comment

UPDATE

So, Monday rolls around and Account Guy takes it over to client - and they LOVED it. They gushed and brought everybody over to see. Generally when you get this kind of reaction to a project you feel nice, but these people were such PITAs that I just couldn't bring myself to give a crap. Then he tells me that they have *another* they want me to do. Now, during the previous project, I made it very clear how displeased I was at how the project was being handled and AG must have taken it to heart because I got EVERYTHING required on day 1 with no unexpected revisions. A 4 hour job that took 4 hours... Wow. (Actually it only took 2 because I reused a lot of the previous coding but hey, that's what OOP is all about, right?)

Comment

Working...
              X