Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She wanted credit for not logging in for six months!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She wanted credit for not logging in for six months!

This call certainly takes first chair today. I dealt with a woman who demanded we not only cancel her account, but also credit her account for six months because she did not log on to the internet since July 2006! She argued with me stating that we should have noticed this months ago and therefore canceled the account for her, plus we needed to credit her for billing her incorrectly on non use. Lady, we don't have the time nor the resources to monitor each and everyone's account for how much they use the internet. Not only that, but we do not have the resources to judge whether or not to cancel your account automatically because you just don't use the service enough.

Isn't this like the people who call their credit card company, bitching and complaining that because they haven't charged anything in six months, the company should have canceled the card for them? Why all of this laziness?

In the end, I won and told her, in a pleasant and kind voice, that we cannot credit her account back to July for two reasons. Number one, you never called us to tell us you no longer wanted the internet, and number two, you have continued paying the bill in full for all of these months, which means you agree to the charges billed! Adios amigo!

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    Isn't this like the people who call their credit card company, bitching and complaining that because they haven't charged anything in six months, the company should have canceled the card for them?
    Interestingly enough, I had one company that did just that. I took out a loan thru them ages ago to consolidate some other bills, although it was more like a revolving line of credit that I could write checks from to use. I eventually paid it off, and requested it to be closed, but I'm guessing they never actually closed it. A year later, I got a letter from them saying that I hadn't used the account in a year, and that if I didn't use it or let them know I wanted to keep it open, they were going to close it.

Since I intended to close it anyway, I just let it happen.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

We get the same thing at my cable company/ISP/telephone company. If we cancelled accts for nonuse, then little old Grandma who only sends emails to her grandkids would have a heck of a time staying connected. We had one recently where the daughter calls in, and her mom had still been using their DSL line, not realizing she had the internet through her cablemodem? I'm not sure how it eventually turned out, but I believe our stand on that here was, no credit for you!
      Or someone yesterday who called in Jan 06 about their voicemail not working, a ticket to resolution was created, but it never was fixed. Then they call in December and raise a storm. Despite saying they called a number of times, our records didn't indicate it. Guess what people, we don't know it's not working unless you callback in and let us know.

I personally had a guy who called in August, we scheduled a tech as the mdm couldn't connect, that appt was cancelled due to no contact with him, with records of when dispatch tried to call before going out, twice. Then he calls in September but records show they had him open IE and he was online, no power cycling the modem, not restarting the pc, nothing, and modem had been online for 20 days since last reset. After that in December is a call educating him about home networking, or routers, as he keeps getting kicked off, but lights on the modem didn't change, and nothing on our side indicated a problem. He eventually called back in December again and we rolled a truck for the modem not connecting, which he again missed the first call, but a tech did show up and fix it.
      So now he wants 3 or 4 months of credit, and I can only do 2 weeks at a time, plus need to justify and get approval for more. My lead could only approve a month of credit for December. So he threatens to cancel service and I send him to customer service where they cave in and give him 2 addl months of credit, but that's they're job.

It's not just about the money, it's the principle of it all, and part of it is not trying to bleed the company dry. If I had records of him calling in each month, sending out techs to fix it with no resolution, fine. But we need to get out there, you need to be home and answer your phone, or else credit is going to stop somewhere.

Comment

Quoth BravoOrig View Post

It's not just about the money, it's the principle of it all, and part of it is not trying to bleed the company dry. If I had records of him calling in each month, sending out techs to fix it with no resolution, fine. But we need to get out there, you need to be home and answer your phone, or else credit is going to stop somewhere.
        I couldn't agree with you more. In a case like this, customers expect their cable/internet/phone companies to all pay for their not calling in at the time the issue occurs (meaning they don't want to pay for their laziness) and they don't want to hear it is their responsibility to do so. And when these same ignorant people scream loud enough to the right pushover rep, they get their money back.

Comment

When I went to cable, I kept the dial-up for a few months in case the cable proved to be unreliable. It didn't, but it was my responsibility to cancel the connection I wasn't using.

Rapscallion

Comment

I've actually had a insurance company give me a nice refund when I cancelled my insurance, since I could prove that the car hadn't been going anywhere in the 5 months I didn't 'use' the insurance. That was nice of them, pity they can't repair a car worth a damn....I didn't expect one though

Comment

Speaking from the customer end, I can tell you that nothing is more frustrating that a 'magic' utility breaking down on you and having to take the time and energy to fix it, not to mention having to pay for it while you can't use it.

Examples of 'magic' utilities are internet, phone, sewer, etc. The stuff that you have no idea how it works, no way to fix it if it breaks but you pay a monthly service charge for it whether you use it or not.

Electricity and water don't count in this case; though they may be considered 'magic' to some, they are pay-per-use. So if it breaks, you're inconvenienced, but you don't have to pay for it.
              "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
              -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth BravoOrig View Post
                Guess what people, we don't know it's not working unless you callback in and let us know.
                You & I either work for the same company or 2 very similar ones. We constantly have customers contact us, upset that their cable/phone/internet hasn't worked for 3 months, wanting credit. Well, unless they tell us about it, we have no way of fixing it. We cannot provide credit for services without being allowed to at least fix the service. We need to at least ATTEMPT a fix.

I've also had ppl in non-pay status ask me for a credit because their services were "soft disconnected" (just partial disconnect) & they can't use all of them. I'm like, "uh no."
                The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

It irritates me how people call up and 'well, it's not working, it better be fixed before such-and-such a show', this is for cable tv.....knowing the persons luck who said this, they'll be calling because their phone won't work, why? Because they'll quite often find it 6" up their woohoo.

Yeah, I'm SURE that there are technicians who are standing around the cable tv switch who just decide to flick it off for fun and trying to break the record of how many calls they take in an hour before they flick it back on

Comment

I usually have the opposite problem. I cancel accounts only to find them still active and me being charged for them. And then call and have someone say we have no record of you canceling.
                    It feeds, it grows, it clouds all that you will know
                    Deceit, Deceive, Decide just what you believe

Comment

Quoth pbmods View Post
                      Speaking from the customer end, I can tell you that nothing is more frustrating that a 'magic' utility breaking down on you and having to take the time and energy to fix it, not to mention having to pay for it while you can't use it.

Examples of 'magic' utilities are internet, phone, sewer, etc. The stuff that you have no idea how it works, no way to fix it if it breaks but you pay a monthly service charge for it whether you use it or not.

Electricity and water don't count in this case; though they may be considered 'magic' to some, they are pay-per-use. So if it breaks, you're inconvenienced, but you don't have to pay for it.

But this is the point I was trying to make. The utility companies do not have any idea when you have a non-functioning product or service unless you tell them about it. The only exception to this is when a natural disaster hits, like a hurricane. Your utility company does not have the time nor the resources to monitor each and everyone's service to see how often they're using it, when they're using it, etc. It is the customer's responsibility to report it, and if they do not do that, then they are BLANK out of luck.

Besides, I should have added that many of the calls I get for something like this are customers who don't have it together. They're in collections status each month, pay what they want and when they want, and when it turns into they simply are so behind on the bill they'll never catch up, that's when they turn around and say a credit is due for non-working service. Funny thing is, when you view the notes collections reps put in, not one note is the narrative telling you that the customer said their service is not working. Hmmm.

Comment

My cable company is actually pretty good about crediting you back for a half day or a day or whatever of their services if you call in to report an outage. My electric company also has a thing in their phone menu where if you select outages, it tells you the ones they already know about and has two options under that, one for an outage not listed and another for if you have more information about an outage that was listed (like if you're a dork like me and you drive down the street to see which house is the first one to have their lights on in the case of a localized outage).
                        "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                        "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                        My MySpace
                        My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                        X