Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of the places I used to go on holiday when I was a kid; my parents favoured holiday houses that were way out in the sticks. There'd be a village nearby where you could go and get basics, but in order to get to a supermarket, you had to drive. I can see the SCs featured in this thread foaming at the mouth at being in such a place. XD
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      heck, I'm in pretty bad physical shape and have flat feet so bad the Army would probably reject me, but when my car went into the shop for repairs leaving me a pedestrian for the day, I managed the 17 mile round-trip walk to work and back without dying.... or even getting sore.
      I hear ya. When my grandmother still had her farm, quite a few people walked the back roads. Either they didn't have/couldn't afford a vehicle, or simply enjoyed walking. Anyway, one old lady took the cake. She had to be about 90...yet I'd see her 10-15 miles away from the nearest town. We're talking areas that nothing--fields, abandoned buildings/vehicles/etc, and she'd be there.

The county did have a taxi service of sorts. "Of sorts," because the service was slow and unpredictable. Both of those conditions existed because it served the entire county. A county, sparsely populated in many areas, that has fewer people than the tiny (2 square mile) *borough* I live in. There's not really a demand for taxi service, so there aren't many routes, and it's not 24 hours. When people do use the service, it's not cheap...so many folks just walk. Not on the interstates though--if you try, you'll get picked up by the state police--but always on the state roads; usually Routes 18, 19, 21, 218, etc.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
        Say it with me folks:

A lack of planning...

SC
        Actually I was thinking more along the lines of...

"Yep I guess you are."

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          There's a reason vampires don't get you in the dark.

There's a secret society of us who protect people

Just the good ones, though.
          Here I though it was because vampires don't want to risk indigestion from drinking the blood of SC's.

Lack of planning on one's part is not an emergency on another's part.

Preaching to the choir, I know. But nonetheless . . . unless you're in the middle of the Sahara Desert, there's going to be something not too far away that's open.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

In my experience, the gas stations in PA often have incredible food. Their delis are practically unmatched. Although I suppose that's if you're near a super store but usually those are located right near hotels so I can't imagine it wasn't one. They have delicious food! I've even found gas stations in PA that serve chicken and waffles! Talk about Pennsylvania goodness!

Comment

Hell, even if you ARE going to a big city, always at least take some dried fruit or beef jerky, or the like. You never know when there might be a service outage that might make getting food difficult for a couple of days. Plus, you don't have to get snacks unless you want too.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post

There's a secret society of us who protect people

Just the good ones, though.

I have no worries in that area I'm already being protected by a vampire
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  I just figured that, given the local diet, most of the folks who live around here have a fairly high Blood Garlic Content >_>
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    In my experience, the gas stations in PA often have incredible food.
                    Isn't Pennsylvania home to pepperoni rolls?

Comment

On the lack of preparation, I have a trip in a couple weeks that will have me staying in downtown Miami. Hardly a desolate region. That being said, for said trip, my friend and I had an option of staying at the hotel that is hosting our seminar or finding another alternative.

The host hotel was offering our group special rates, but even at those special rates, it was Not Cheap. Certainly more affordable than a lot of surrounding hotels, but still not exactly thrifty. My friend looked online to see if he could find a better option, and told me that everything else was either more expensive or had such bad reviews he wouldn't stay in them. I told him I'd take a look. And after a bit of research, I did find a better alternative. And it met all of our criteria: It's cheaper than the host hotel, it has cheaper on-site parking than the host hotel, it's nice (with a better average rating than the host hotel!), it's very close (walking distance) to many bars and restaurants, and it will enable us to get to the seminar quickly, as it is just a short walk to a light rail system that also has a stop right by the host hotel, and is just a mile from the host hotel, so it won't take us long to get from one to the other.

My point is that I actually planned this trip out with all of our criteria in mind, even though we'll be staying in the heart of a major metropolis. Why? Because I'm lazy, I like to drink, I like to eat, and I'm not a dumb bunny SC that can't plan ahead!

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      vampires don't get you if you walk around after dark in rural PA....
                      Right. It's rural Louisiana that's dangerous!

Quoth Lyse View Post
                      How do you end up in a rural area that you aren't familiar with without some form of transportation?
                      I can think of several possibilities that would actually (please forgive me) defend the SC in this case:

--They were drunk or otherwise under the influence, and were being responsible by not driving.
                      --They were very fatigued from driving, and were being responsible by not driving.
                      --They were with someone who had driven, who was at that time asleep.
                      --They were there because their car had broken down, and it was in the shop.

I am sure there are a few other potential scenarios, though in the end, they probably were just complete jackholes.

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                      It does seem a bit odd to have a hotel surrounded by nothing but trees for twelve miles in every direction.
                      Odd to your ears, but certainly not unheard of. See below.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      But nonetheless . . . unless you're in the middle of the Sahara Desert, there's going to be something not too far away that's open.
                      Not at all always true. Even if we limit ourselves to the United States, there are tons of places where you might be at a hotel that is nowhere near anything else, or you might break down in an equally desolate area. Just from my personal travels: the Everglades in Florida, rural Arizona (of which there's plenty), West Texas (of which there's even more), southeastern California (home to Death Valley, but even beyond DV there's plenty of nothingness out there), much of Montana, Wyoming, or any other square Western State, the Pine Barrens in New Jersey (the West doesn't have a lock on remote locations), apparently rural Pennsylvania (judging from the OP), rural Ohio, and northern Florida, to name just a few. I am quite sure there are many, many more such areas.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      ...a fairly high Blood Garlic Content >_>
                      Duh! NOW I know why vampires have never bothered me!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Right. It's rural Louisiana that's dangerous!
                        "This place is cursed! And, yes, your master is the Devil!"
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X