Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An open letter on haggling at the bar.

To whom it may concern.

I know that you are students, for the most part. I realize that living on study loans is no picnic, I have done so myself before landing this job. I do not wish to deny anyone the right to enjoy a night on the town. I recognize how important a part of college life the social activities are, and how the alcohol-soaked bonds of fraternity and camaraderie tied now can last a lifetime.

However.

In this jurisdiction, it is illegal for me as a bartender, and the owner's representative, to give away free drinks. It is illegal for me to offer discounted prices on drinks. If I exchange alcoholic beverages for anything other than the correct amount of money in either legal tender or approved credit, I am facing a lengthy holiday at Club Fed.

It is not legal for me to trade beverages for goods or services. Contrary to what some of you seem to believe, neither foreign currencies, marijuana, small arms ammunition, jewelry, smuggled cigarettes, moonshine, sexual favors of various kinds or electronic entertainment items of dubious legal provenance are the legal tender of this proud nation. It would be pretty sweet if I had a separate "smokes & bullets" drawer in my cash register, but alas, it is not to be.

These simple statements reflect the legal standing of my profession. I will not risk my employment and the chance to work in my chosen profession for your gratification. Many of you have tried to ingratiate yourselves with me, hoping that I will do so out of an overwhelming love for the cheap bastard on the other side of the bar. Some of you have mistaken my professional politeness for an attempt to make friends, and I kindly ask you not to presume. Unless we have met in daylight at least twice and exchanged telephone numbers, we are not friends, and I will be doing you no favours. Not even for the promise of two gallons of "forest star" and a carton of Russian ciggies.

I would like to adress those young ladies and gentlemen who have offered me sexual favours in particular. Gents, it won't happen. I'm sorry, but none of you is Jensen Ackles. Ladies, I'm sure you have many virtues under the daylight. They are, however, not apparent to me when you are half-lying on the bar, slurring out a request for another drink.

Ladies and gentlemen: Have you no shame? In the state most of you are in, I can understand that maintaining decorum can be difficult, but please, attempt to preserve some form of dignity. If you find this impossible, and, in your alcohol-induced stupor, intend to expose or prostitute yourselves, at least make sure you are reasonably compensated for your efforts. Also, to you ladies who attempt to exchange a quick display of bosom for a beverage, I am a committed "leg man" and got the eyeful I wanted while you were on the dance floor.

To summarise: I will happily provide you with the beverages you desire, provided full payment in legal tender or approved credit is immediately forthcoming. I will gladly converse if so is desired, but do not presume that this is anything other than professional courtesy.

I hope that this has brought some clarity into my feelings on the matter, and I hope we can build a solid continuing business relationship on these terms.

Yours sincerely.

A friendly neighbourhood bartender.

Ranting about customers, like a sir.
    The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Oh wow, I must have been sheltered when I was waiting tables/tending bar, because I can safely say I was never offered anything except money, lol. Then again I worked in a well known restaraunt chain, different folks I guess.

As for the proposed sexual favors, I have to wonder even if you were able to accept that as "payment" for drinks, how would that have even worked? lol. I have to imagine no matter how drunk, those people would have to know its not like they could have "paid" you right then and there.

Comment

Quoth Rainman View Post
      As for the proposed sexual favors, I have to wonder even if you were able to accept that as "payment" for drinks, how would that have even worked? lol. I have to imagine no matter how drunk, those people would have to know its not like they could have "paid" you right then and there.
      I have a feeling many of them were sloshed enough to try.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Bartenders will not exchanges drinks for bullets?

...Fallout lied to me.

Comment

Not in my jurisdiction. Licensing laws are probably different where you live, though. You can always ask.

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
            You can always ask.
            You'd have to be very careful how you phrased that one!
            I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

You must be from a different country than Jester (U.S.) or Customers Ruin My Life (U. K.) since this is my first time hearing about such laws.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                You must be from a different country than Jester (U.S.) or Customers Ruin My Life (U. K.) since this is my first time hearing about such laws.
                It sounds like he's in the US but in a different state to Jester

Comment

I don't think exchanging bullets for merchandise is a good idea, in fact, aren't most bullets-for-merchandise transactions, in fact, armed robberies?
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Mr Hero, Legal Eagle: Actually, I'm from Sweden.

Comment

That letter, with a few minor changes, could very well have been written by me! Or anyone who's worked in the industry.

Now, where I live, I CAN give out free drinks*, but I it is highly unlikely that I would do so just because someone asked. See, what many people fail to remember is the Etiquette of the Free Drink. To wit, consider yourself fortunate if the bartender or management decide you are worthy of one. Never, however, blatantly ask for one, as that is almost never going to succeed.

*Bartenders at my establishment (and many others) are allowed by management to have a "comp tab," a different check under which they can ring up a predetermined dollar value of drinks. At the end of the bartender's shift, the management will comp this entire tab. So we DO have to account for every drink, one way or another. I mean, I can't just hand out a round of beers without ringing them up SOMEWHERE. Not if I want to remain gainfully employed. Also, management can, if they so choose, decide to comp a customer a drink if they so choose. But come on kids, you NEVER ask for a free drink. Not even if the bartender IS your friend. (Unless, of course, they owe you one, which is a whole different matter.)
                      Last edited by Dave1982; 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM. Reason: No need for that bit

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Wow, it's illegal to give away a free drink? I've never heard of that.

Comment

In Sweden, apparently. In Florida, no. Where you are....who knows?

There are a lot of laws regarding alcohol. Some of the intelligent. Some of then interesting. Some of them idiotic. And some of them just plain weird.

And they vary from place to place.

Until just a few years ago, for example, it was illegal in the state of South Carolina for bartenders to serve drinks from anything but airplane miniature bottles, which must have made mixed drinks interesting to make and charge for...especially ones like the Long Island Iced Tea!

Must have made for an very interesting looking back bar, too!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
                            Bartenders will not exchanges drinks for bullets?

...Fallout lied to me.
                            Hey! Those bartenders probably took an arrow to the knee - show some sympathy.

Quoth Jester View Post
                            *Bartenders at my establishment (and many others) are allowed by management to have a "comp tab," a different check under which they can ring up a predetermined dollar value of drinks. At the end of the bartender's shift, the management will comp this entire tab. So we DO have to account for every drink, one way or another. I mean, I can't just hand out a round of beers without ringing them up SOMEWHERE. Not if I want to remain gainfully employed. Also, management can, if they so choose, decide to comp a customer a drink if they so choose....
                            Reading your posts - and watching Roadhouse - have made me wonder: how do bars account for where the alcohol goes? That is, with potentially several people behind the bar serving drinks and helping customers, how does a bar know that a drink has actually been poured - as opposed to "spilled", "wasted" or just given away for example - or that the bartender is charging the right price? It would seem difficult to track who is doing what when that many folks are running around in the same place and billing on the same register...
                            Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
                              I'm sorry, but none of you is Jensen Ackles.
                              ...and ain't it a cryin' shame....
                              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
                              X