Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only thing soggy is between your ears...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only thing soggy is between your ears...

JUST had this happen.

I'm MOD this week. Because we've been so busy at the motel, Area Manager has been letting Other MOD and I stay at home. For me, this isn't too different, since I live about half a mile from work.

Tonight, CW calls me. Keep in mind, we've been selling out for about a month straight (last night was actually the first night in over four weeks we didn't sell out). The room in question is along the first floor, quiet side, and has been continuously rented even longer (at least 40 days...without going into the office to double check, I'm not sure, but probably even much longer).

CW: "The guest in [room] says that their mattress is soaked. They're two adults and two kids, and I don't want to move them."
    Me: "Wha?"
    CW: "They say the mattress is moldy and soaked all the way through."
    Me: This seems implausible. "You can try offering them a refund. You have no other rooms? Not just no doubles, but nothing at all?"
    CW: "They don't want a refund; they want to sleep. And I have no other rooms."
    Me: "Okay okay hang on....alright, here's what we'll do. We have a spare mattress in Boss Man's old apt. I think it's a double. Give me half an hour to get dressed and get down there, and help me move it."
    CW: "Okay, I will let them know that."

I get up, apologizing to Hubby, and start getting ready. I put on my pants, my shirt, and then my phone rings.

Me: "Hello?"
    CW: "Yeah, it's CW. The guests in [room] decided they don't want a new mattress."
    Me: "But...so they're leaving?"
    CW: "No. They don't want to wake up their baby. They just want to go to sleep."
    Me: "Wait...they claim their mattress is soaked, but they don't want any solution that would involve waking up their kid, which would be any solution at all."
    CW: "Yes."
    Me: "Then...offer them extra mattress pads and blankets?"
    CW: "I offered them extra sheets, and they said the mattress was soaked and it would do no good. I told them we could change the mattress, but they don't want that. They just want to stay in the room."
    Me: "Um...okay? Just....wha?"
    CW: "Yeah, I know."
    Me: "I guess...you can give them a refund? But have Other MOD inspect that bed in the morning. Without seeing it, I'm having a hard time believing it."
    CW: "Yeah, they said that the bed and the sheets were moldy. I think the person cleaning the room would notice that. I even told them that room has been rented every night for over a month."
    Me: "Yeah...I smell a scam. Those are definitely fresh sheets."
    CW: "Me too. I haven't actually offered them a refund yet. I just offered to change their sheets and their mattress and they didn't like that."
    Me: "Okay...well then, if they come down and really push for one, then you can give it to them just to shut them up, and we can ban them later after we confirm they're scamming us. Only if they really push it, though. Don't offer it. But one way or another, write down all the solutions you did offer that they denied, and pass this all along to day shift and Other MOD."
    CW: "Okay. Sorry to wake you."
    Me: "No problem. It's why I'm here."
    CW: "I also need pillows."
    Me: *tells her where I think we have spare pillows hiding in storage*

Mattress wet? Plausible. Mattress moldy? Much less plausible. (Stained? Plausible. Mold? No.) Mattress and sheets moldy? When that room's been rented for over 40 consecutive nights? Pretty friggin' impossible.

Methinks they didn't want a mattress swap because then they'd have been found out.
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 04-17-2012, 05:17 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Not so smart scammers. If you want to scam, do something that is probable.

Comment

They're fishing for a free room. Too bad they couldn't hook a big fish, like Jaws.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
        They're fishing for a free room. Too bad they couldn't hook a big fish, like Jaws.
        They're gonna need a bigger boat for that.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I hope you stand your grand on that one. The constant scamming irritated the piss out of me when I worked in a hotel. Thankfully, despite her other flaws, I had a manager -- and the owner of the hotel, so there was nobody higher to complain to -- who loved nothing more than a good fight. If those guests had been hers, she would have cheerfully let it go to corporate, or -- hell -- all the way to court if need be, before she would ever give a refund.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

As NA, I would go to the room personally, and see what I could do. If they didn't want to let me in to check, I would refuse the refund, and turn it over to the manager (w/ a full explanation of the situation).

Then it's up to them (or you, in this case).

SC

PS: I hate scammers.
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

If they're scammers, they sure are bad at it

I suppose anything is remotely possible (previous tenants left things that bad, somehow housekeeping missed it, previous tenants left covers on bed & no other mess so check-ins couldn't tell it hadn't been cleaned). I did say possible, not plausible. And I can also see putting off minor fixes til morning in order to not wake a sleeping child, if you have a child that's impossible to get back to sleep.

But anytime a person chooses to put up with what is clearly an intolerable situation (from their description ) rather than accept any one of several solutions or work-arounds, then the alarm bells are ringing loud and clear. Much easier to get a refund as well as future freebies of all sorts from corporate. After all, "I had to put up with intolerable conditions" sounds ever so much better than "I was inconvenienced by having intolerable conditons corrected promptly"

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I agree, they have to have been trying to scam the hotel out of paying for the night.

You going to come back and let us know what was found upon inspection?

[and I have smelled a moldy/mildewy room before. It is *very* smelly and distinctive. No way could the maid have missed the smell!]
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'm thinking they want more than a free room, since they refused a refund or to move to another room. My guess is that they spilled or the child peed on the mattress, and they're trying to get out of the cleaning bill. If the hotel tries to bill them for the cleanup, they'll probably contact corporate and whine and complain and say they complained about it then.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

any update on how wet / moldy the mattress really was? (or rather how scammy they had been?)

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                      I'm thinking they want more than a free room, since they refused a refund or to move to another room. My guess is that they spilled or the child peed on the mattress, and they're trying to get out of the cleaning bill. If the hotel tries to bill them for the cleanup, they'll probably contact corporate and whine and complain and say they complained about it then.
                      That's what I was thinking. I want to know how it turns out.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So, I called Other MOD today. No refund. She checked the bed, and it was absolutely fine.
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Why is noone here surprised?

My read of the situation: if there was any dampness on the mattress, they caused it themselves. Probably spilled a glass of water (anything else would have caused a smell the other MOD would have noticed); and by the time the MOD arrived to check the mattress, it had dried.

Because we all know that to a sucky customer, one slightly damp patch = totally soaked mattress. And having caused it oneself doesn't mean a thing.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                          X