This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First World Complaint?

I almost feel bad for complaining about this. These are the only two complaints I have ever had about the company I work for and they are so minor. They are so..... First World Problemy.

We have a 401k, that they pay all the annual fees for. But you have to wait 5 years for them to give a 5% matching amount. That just seems like a long time, but it is a REALLY good 401k, for a company in this area, and I know the fees are not cheap. Yea, I just feel embarrassed for complaining about waiting two more years for that benefit, one they do not have to give us.

The person managing the accounts was a local, but is also not very "contactable" and does not give very good service. Example, I set up another "post-tax" IRA with them. I intended to put $400/year into that. He thought I meant $400/MONTH. Yea, someone has been away from town too long if he thinks that people making $12-$16/hour can afford that. Then I learn that the MINIMUM that I can add is $100. So I still set it up to do $100 every 3 months. After a year of not hearing a word from him (just the statement telling me how much I have), I am moving that IRA back to my Edward Jones adviser (he regularly calls to set up an appointment to discuss how best to invest my money, I love that company). I do not feel bad for this complaint (still a very First World problem though).

But the real "meat" of this thread is our holiday pay. The CNC milling/lathes work 10 hour days, 4 days a week. But the Saw, Deburring, and Office staff work 8 hour days, 5 days a week.

We only get 8 hours of holiday pay, and can choose to use our PTO (which we are given a good deal of) to make up the other 2 hours so we can have a full 80 hour paycheck.

I understand that it is not fair to the other department to give us a 2 extra hours each holiday. Especially, on holidays like this "4th of July" that falls on a Saturday, that they still pay, even though we do not work Saturdays. But I also do not think it is fair for us to have to use PTO (or take a small pay cut) for the holiday when it is during the week.

It just seems unusual to me. And I still feel embarrassed for even mentioning such a minor complaints.

Now for the obligatory joke.
    So that is what it feels like to complain like a rich Bas****!
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

The concept of PTO is almost a foreign concept to me -- I've only had one job, ever, that had it...so I'll stay outta that one

As for the 401k -- This is a person who is handling other people's MONEY on behalf of his employer. Part of his JOB is to be available at reasonable hours and/or responding within a reasonable length of time. He's not doing his job, plain and simple. Good on you for taking your biz elsewhere.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
    X