This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Initiations

I was reading the paramedic propositioning thread and I thought of all the things that made me a true member of the team. At McD's it was getting a zipper scar from the fry basket burn. At my current job, cafe workers aren't official until they fantastically burn a batch of popcorn, filling the store with the stench.

What are the initiation rites at your place of business, or those of the past?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Mine, when I was working for someone else, was you aren't a locksmith until drop a pulled apart cylinder to watch pieces fly everywhere.
    Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

From the past: At a pizza joint:

- Covering the ovens/cut table without any major screwups during halftime when the [local NFL team] is kicking ass, with both ovens going all out. Also known as "I didn't know the oven could hold that many pizzas at once O_O" (second only to Mardi Gras)

- Running the makeline smoothly during an extended rush period
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Making a child cry by enforcing the school rules during lunch.

"Why am I in trouble? I only started a fight with the kid sitting next to me/wouldn't stop talking long enough to eat and ended up throwing my whole lunch away/spent over half of my lunch time playing in the bathroom/ throwing trash on the floor and refusing to pick it up/ talking back to the lunch workers."
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Our initiation is having to wait on 'Jesus lady'. Double points if your first time waiting on her is the day when she brings her giant bag of returns in with about 5 or 6 separate receipts

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
            Making a child cry by enforcing the school rules during lunch.
            Ditto. Or the first time a parent screams at you with no warning.

Comment

From the movie theater:
              - As an usher, bust my first theater hopper.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Repair center was "Ruining someone's holiday by not being able to fix their stuff the day before said holiday." Bonus points if the SC's product was broke for at least a month and never called in because, "I don't use it that much." *facepalm*
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Hm... Roofing co office, probably the first time someone calls saying that "your company roofed our house and NOW IT'S LEAKING!!!11!" Complete with yelling from the first word to the last, with no information regarding 1) name 2) home address 3) where it's leaking, or 4) how long it's been leaking. Just screaming. I swear only like 1% of the time was it our fault. The other 99% it wasn't our company who did the job, or it was something out of our control such as tree limb damage. I have also had people call screaming about how the roof was leaking, and it turned out they knew it had been leaking for years!

Craft store... Maybe the first time someone freaking swipes your scissors and cuts merchandise right in front of you. Or the first time you have to deal with someone who has mental problems. (like they're off their meds or mixed them up or on non-legal drugs) I actually get nervous when I hear the tone of voice which I associate with this. Because they can be fine, then NOT FINE very quickly. We've had someone suddenly start screaming and throwing stuff, but thankfully it wasn't at anyone in particular. Police were called.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Getting reamed by a doctor for something out of your control and/or not your fault. Usually either Dr Prick, Dr Bipolar, or Dr Picky. Though Dr Prick is now retired and Head Doc is waaaaaaaay easier to work with, the other two are still going strong.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

These are all things I've never thought of, especially the grabbing of scissors and cutting one's own fabric. Wow.

Comment

Getting a certified nutcase on the phone used to be the old way of knowing you were really part of the team (ugh, team...I hate that term! I am not playing a game, this is my job!)

In our case, the Dog Lady ("How many dog ads are in the paper? Can you read them to me? Are there any free ones? Any really cheap ones? I'm blind, can you read them to me?") Best part? She wasn't really blind, and she wasn't allowed to have dogs in her rented house. But if you didn't know that, you could spend a long time on the phone with her reading off ads for dogs while she wrote down the phone numbers.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Delivery driver

Back in the day getting a delivery going to Naked Guy's house.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working the gas station on the bad side of town, one got used to the various chemical connoisseurs, but this one sweet old man... STUNK. Nicest guy you could meet, but the stench did not leave when he did. Think of Foul ol' Ron from Discworld series, minus the muttering crazy homeless bum routine.

15 years later, and I have yet to encounter BO that foul again. (Not that there was a lack of contestants)

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                              Delivery driver

Back in the day getting a delivery going to Naked Guy's house.
                              You post this and don't elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                              X