This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been fired.

So last month, I had this great new job.

Within 3 days, I knew there was going to be a serious problem at some point because my direct manager was a bundle of nerves, touchy as hell, and did NOT want to train me.

She left for vacation three days after I started for a week so I had to just figure things out. I didn't even have all my access codes for anything until last week so it was hard to do my job.

After she got back, I was told that I wasn't supposed to ask anything of anyone but her in any way ever because it made her look like she didn't know how to do her job.

She'd disappear for hours at a stretch without telling me where she was going or when she'd be back.

She told HR that I didn't know how to do a weekly report after being shown three times... yes that's because she would never let ME do it. She insisted she had to show me, without allowing me to actually do it once, and never let me actually do it. So no, I didn't know how to do it because SHE WOULD LET ME. You don't learn by being shown, you learn by DOING and making mistakes.

And oh make a mistake, and she's be making annoyed noises, groans, and growls, and mumbling under her breath about how stupid people are.

Then she complained that I wasn't doing certain reports right. You mean the one where I had a number one in the wrong column once? Oh its the end of the world. Or how about the ones where I'd do them according to what the contract stated, but she would have emails and the like in her email and not having given them to me and not printed them out to be put in the file, so when I filled out the form it was wrong and then she blamed me for it.

Or how about the one where I mistakenly altered a charge because I had been told that nothing was ever supposed to be posted as miscellaneous and it was posted as miscellaneous, then after I did it I was told that I was wrong and its ok to post to miscellaneous provided it was the hotels fault.

Or how about how every day she wanted me to go in to VIP people, then she'd go back to change them even though I was following the lost she gave me to VIP certain status' of guest. EVERY SINGLE DAY. So even though I was following the list she gave me, I was supposed to VIP only the ones she wanted even though those were sometimes on the list, and sometimes if they were in the list, they weren't supposed to be VIP'd.

Apparently I was supposed to be a mind reader.

I knew it. I just knew within the first three days that this bitch was going to be high maintenance hell.

Glad its over but I'm severely pissed right now.

HR said to me that I was overqualified for the job and they felt I was having a hard time taking orders from my manager. Bullshit. My manager was nuts. I did whatever she told me, and I did it without a face, without an annoyed voice. Very very carefully I kept my face and voice always polite no matter what it was.

Oh and did I mention that she seemed way overwhelmed all the time, very annoyed all the time, and outright told me that it was a mistake to be DOS because it was too much work?

And yes, I sent a nice long letter to HR detailing everything I told you in great attention to detail and more. Unfortunately this is a work at will state so I am screwed.

Let me add, last Monday I almost passed out from an anxiety attack from this place.
    Last edited by Moirae; 06-26-2015, 02:01 AM.

Ouch. My sympathies >_<

...it made her look like she didn't know how to do her job.
    She didn't train you properly (and barely did at all), she left after a week without providing you with codes, and ultimately failed to allow you learn to do the job...So yeah, it LOOKS like she doesn't know how to do the job because she doesn't!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I would also say that there's a chance she figured if she did train you and you could do the job better than she could that it might mean she would get shown the door. What better way to ensure job security than to not make sure there's a person around that could take over her job?

Comment

Inept managers are threatened by able subordinates.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It sounds like no loss, this boss would have put you through hell.

Hopefully HR will heed your letter but somehow I doubt it...

Comment

HR replied to me thanking me for my candor. In all lower case letters, no punctuation.

Comment

Sounds like a rather 'professional' place. I think you definitely dodged a bullet there although getting fired still sucks.

Comment

Yeah, the problem? They are the biggest hotel management company in the world. Losing a job with them means I just lost any chance of ever having a job at any of their over 480 hotels in the world, including in about 20 hotels in my city alone.

Comment

And yet, somehow, they can't format a business communication using proper punctuation and capitalization.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                  X