Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's a beautiful, sweet girl. I've got to give her different food now, because the wet food has been giving her mild diarrhea. I bought some chicken breasts today; they're currently in the oven. I'm going to shred them for her to eat. That should be fine for her digestive system.

Her quality of life is still very high. I cling to that. If it were the worst of all possible news... well, I don't see how it could be. She's not in pain, that I can see. She rubs up against me when I pet her, and rolls over. She's eating well, when it's soft food. She doesn't play, because when she gets excited, her breathing bothers her.

But as you see in the photo, she's still sleek and not underweight.

Comment

When my dog was having some problems, the vet recommended ground turkey, rice and some vegetables (I think it was peas). You might want to inquire about/research home made cat food.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Big gentle cuddles for both you and your kitty, Eireann.

The appetite and wanting to be out in the sun (rather than hiding away) sound very hopeful. Love to both of you.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Thank you, Marmalady.

I just gave her some shredded chicken, and she ate it. I have a lot more here, and I can always buy even more when that runs out. With time, her throat should be okay for her to eat the dry food. Though it wouldn't hurt to give her more chicken.

Right now, she's sitting near the wall, facing me, with her eyes mostly closed. She's also been hanging around my feet this evening. What a sweet baby.

Comment

Such an adorable cat! As long as she's wanting to soak up some sun, is still hungry, still doing her business as usual, and is general her usual self, she seems to be on the mend. Fingers crossed she continues to do better.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Baby food can be useful, too, in a pinch. Plain meat, chicken, turkey or beef. But she will need certain vitamins like taurine before long. Check with the vet about how long she can be on a non-cat-food diet.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

She's been spending quite a bit of time under the bed today, but she did come out to sit in the window. A large moth flew up and landed on the opposite side of the screen, and she attempted to catch it. I put the food dish under the bed, so she can eat without coming out. She seems to be doing well with eating it.

Baby food is an excellent idea; I'm also going to ask the vet about the best canned food to give her.

Comment

The chicken I had in the dish dried out, so now I'm cooking the rest of it with rice to make a thick gruel. She went for some cream cheese I offered her, which cheers me since it's higher in calories.

Comment

If you can find it, try Blue Buffalo wet food. It doesn't have any of the fillers that a lot of commercial foods can.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Thanks again for the advice. I gave her some plain Greek yogurt earlier, and she ate some of it. She was nibbling on my fingers, so I know she was hungry. I think watery food is the easiest for her to swallow. The rice cooked up too solidly (I added too much), so I'm going to add a lot of water to it and cook it again, this time with a lot of ghee. She wasn't that interested in it last night, and I think it's because there wasn't enough flavor to it.

Comment

Try runny fried-egg yolks as well; both our cats loved them.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I bought several different types of wet cat food yesterday, and today, I offered her some British-made stuff. She really went for it. She's only eaten about half, but my online research has informed me that cats only eat about 250 calories per day. I wish she'd eat more, because she has lost weight.

She's still using her litter box, as well as scratching her post. I found an old toy I made some years ago - a sock with some catnip inside, tied in a knot - and she's not playing with it, but she's been nuzzling it and keeping it near her.

I want all this to be over and done, and for her to be completely well.

Comment

This all sounds very good and very hopeful, Eireann. Crossing my fingers that it continues.
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                            X